Zrebiec: At impasse with LaRoche; turning attention to Lee

section36

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that it is the fact that the team would rather not be in this same situation next year.

I would hope the team would be looking to fill the position with quality LT, not just to fill a hole with a stopgap so they didn't have to fill the position.

If the guy isn't out there that you want, they should just put Scott at 1B and go after a DH. If they wait too long for either LaRoche or Lee, that option and others to boost the offense are going to go away.

You can always sign Vlad or Thome and then come back to those two if they still haven't made up their minds yet.

Or better yet forget about them all together and go after a salary dump like Beltran.

LaRoche is thinking he's freakin Tex or AGon or something....7m a yr and he's not signing....hmm, his agent must be speaking in his ear saying they (Orioles) need a 1b so hold out and see what else they come with....7m a yr is enough for him imho, don't over pay the guy, he's not worth the 7m a year imho

The article suggests that 1/8 is about what it would take. So if he doesn't want to come here then I would think that 1/8 isn't about what it would take?

Do you know Lee?

Yeah, he's a cool guy. Works in maintenence down the hall. We have attended a few ballgames together. I consider Lee my friend!

If we have a 3 year, $21 million offer on the table for LaRoche, any game we're playing is with Monopoly money. I don't see how anyone who wants LaRoche can complain that we were "playing" games with him. This is a player who screwed himself out of $3mil in salary last year because he misread his market and now it looks like he's trying to make the same mistake again. I'm not going to criticize AM for sticking to his guns on this one. He's right, there are other options.

Good points. Perhaps the hangup is something outside of money related issues, though like bonuses, no trade clauses, etc. We shouldn't be giving him an NTC, anyway.

You're right, he did screw himself last winter. And I wouldn't criticize MacPhail too much, either. 3/21 is as high as we should go for him.

He either doesn't want to come here or is overrating his worth.

Perhaps maybe2050 is actually LaRoche! He also doesn't know that LaRoche is mediocre. :D

Without getting into the validity of Jen's tweet, it sure sounds like LaRoche burned his bridge with us. I hope we sign Lee and LaRoche has to settle for a one year $4-5 million contract somewhere like DC!

Laroche overplayed his hand last year, and it appears he's doing so again. Nothing to do here but be patient. We had a similar negotiation with Huff in 2006-07. He wanted 4/$36mm, and dragged it out until after the holidays, realized nothing more was coming and signed for 3/$20mm on January 3, 2007. Now, you can say the Huff contract wasn't good and we are making the same mistake twice, but my point is, if we want this guy, we can wait him out for a while until Andy gets the sense that other options are going to go by the board if we don't act.

Archived