Zrebiec: At impasse with LaRoche; turning attention to Lee

section36

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone think we get a deal done with one of these guys by Friday? I think MacPhail wants to have a short break over the holidays. Hopefully he gets alot of sweaters for Xmas.

YOU'VE been saying you think we will.

I think most of us don't expect anything until March! :o

Unfortunately the baseball world doesn't revolve around Baltimore. we are at the mercy of the market(yes I said it. haha) and MacPhail's deliberate negotiations.

I'm trying to tell myself don't expect anything until late Jan.

Well, usually it's something like:

Could be adding a new player in the next two days. It could one of Lee or LaRoche for 1B. Baltimore may prefer LaRoche, but LaRoche may not prefer Baltimore. Maybe Baltimore adds someone else. Hopefully we know something by the end of the weekend. Maybe nothing happens at all. :laughlol::laughlol::laughlol::laughlol:

Does anyone think we get a deal done with one of these guys by Friday? I think MacPhail wants to have a short break over the holidays. Hopefully he gets alot of sweaters for Xmas.
I think it depends on Vlad, and where he signs. Once that happens the dominoes fall, IMO.

Per JR:

Here's my tweet from earlier: "Source close to LaRoche situation: "Adam should have taken deal from the #Orioles. But... he wants good money and he saw what Pena got."

If she's right, and that's a major if, than I'm pretty sour on LaRoche from a personal stand point. He's an upgrade, sure, but my pride has me thinking, "buzz off then dude".

Per JR:

If she's right, and that's a major if, than I'm pretty sour on LaRoche from a personal stand point. He's an upgrade, sure, but my pride has me thinking, "buzz off then dude".

I'd be happier if we gave him exactly Pena money. 1/10 is better than 3/21, IMO.

Per JR:

I'd be very surprised if anyone else offered LaRoche more than 3/21. He played last offseason poorly and it doesn't look like he's doing too well this time around, either.

According to MLBTR the average FA cost for a 1B this year is 6.5 MM, Lyle Overbay money.http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/average-free-agent-prices.html

According to Maybe2050, the average that a 1st baseman will get is higher than that. Look what Konerko and Dunn got. We are in last place, and pinch the life out of every negotiation with agents and players until they always put us in our place with an obvious "Guys, you're the Orioles". You can't bring pennies to the table, and expect a 3 course dinner.

We took the cheap route at 3rd by trading for Reynolds to avoid pressure from the fans to bid on Beltre, and now they're doing the same thing at 1st base. We are rumored to have offered both Laroche and Lee a contract, but until the smoke clears, and the players themself, or their agents speak, then I'm not taking the word of a Twitter blurb, Jen Royle, or anyone else.

I still say the offered amount will be less than what was rumored. Remember the big offer we made to Dunn?

The spin on this will be simple: It will be that they offered a deal to both Laroche and Lee, and they didn't want to come here. We went the cheap route at 3rd, now the cheap route at 1st. What's next, do we add Rodrigo Lopez as our needed support for Guthrie in the rotation?

It's no surprise to me anymore, so I'm not gonna even get angry when they miss out on both. I will be taking the advantage of a nice crabcake and coke at Camden Yards when Laroche signs for like 3/27. LOL:o

"Keep fooling yourself"

I'll rephrase for him: "Any team that gives him more than 3/21 is mentally ill, and probably needs to have a mass overhaul in its front office, because he doesn't deserve anywhere near that, nor is he worth that in this market."

I look forward to your vague, snarky, one-line response to that.

"Keep fooling yourself"

This post makes absolutely no sense, but for some reason I feel compelled to respond to it.

I'm not fooling myself. I don't think any other organization is stupid enough to offer LaRoche more than 3/21, but if that's what it takes for BAL to get him, I desperately hope that someone does.

You keep fooling yourself into thinking that LaRoche will be a very good first baseman for the next three years.

My point was that, if Lee signs with Washington and BAL decides to move in a different direction, LaRoche is probably going to have to take 1/7 from San Diego. He's risking a lot by holding out.

I do however find it kind of strange, that things have been so quiet though. Usually around this time of year, they throw us a bone with a reliever or washed up player. I can remember Sosa, and rumors of Gonzo, "Oh, where have all of the good times gone" ? lol

Maybe MacPhail does have a bag of tricks up his sleeve, but as of right now, it looks like the same worn out .5 cent tricks that can be learned at your local magic shop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you feed a starving man a cracker, it's bound to taste like a Ritz"

Eddie Murphy

I do however find it kind of strange, that things have been so quiet though. Usually around this time of year, they throw us a bone with a reliever or washed up player. I can remember Sosa, and rumors of Gonzo, "Oh, where have all of the good times gone" ? lol

Maybe MacPhail does have a bag of tricks up his sleeve, but as of right now, it looks like the same worn out .5 cent tricks that can be learned at you local magic shop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you feed a starving man a cracker, it's bound to taste like a Ritz"

Eddie Murphy

How in the world is this a substantive response to the post you quoted? What are you?

Archived