What If MD Doesn't Get Leach?

JohnD

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know who Locksley is, but Chizik was also one of the best, if not the best, DC's in football

Exactly. Chizek made a name for himself coaching top defenses in the SEC, and also at Texas before he went to Iowa State. Locksley was an assistant who recruited well for schools who routinely underachieved, and then followed that up going 2-22 and getting his school sued. That's why the comparison was stupid and lazy. Nevermind that winning at Iowa State is a whole lot harder than winning in the pathetic WAC.

Meanwhile Tom Dienhart from Rivals/Yahoo says the Leach to Maryland thing is "losing juice." His words, not mine. But the hundreds of dollars I'd spend later in the winter on next season's tickets will come in handy with a trip I'm planning to Florida now.

Way to go, Kevin Anderson!

Exactly. Chizek made a name for himself coaching top defenses in the SEC, and also at Texas before he went to Iowa State. Locksley was an assistant who recruited well for schools who routinely underachieved, and then followed that up going 2-22 and getting his school sued. That's why the comparison was stupid and lazy. Nevermind that winning at Iowa State is a whole lot harder than winning in the pathetic WAC.

See, that's at least a semblance of a rational argument. I just wish you could have said that earlier.

Meanwhile Tom Dienhart from Rivals/Yahoo says the Leach to Maryland thing is "losing juice." His words, not mine. But the hundreds of dollars I'd spend later in the winter on next season's tickets will come in handy with a trip I'm planning to Florida now.

Way to go, Kevin Anderson!

I just read that same post. I'm not sure where he's getting Kyle Whittingham's name from though. I would love to have Whittingham, but why would he want take the job at Maryland? He's a Cali guy, graduate of BYU, solid program, and Utah's moving into the PAC-12 next year. Maryland just not a very good fit for him. Brian Billick? I'm not sure what to make of the prospects of Billick coaching UMD.

First, John-OH you continue to avoid answering my question. Did you want to give Ralph an extension?

Second, Locksley will not be the next HC here. Maybe the next OC, but not the next HC.

For those asking about Whittingham, I hadn't heard his name but I'm guessing people are mentioning him because of the UA connection. I don't think he's in play.

If I had to make a guess right now at coaching candidates, I'd say it's Leach followed by Edsall and Larry Johnson Sr or someone we haven't heard of yet.

Getting to a bowl game isn't what it used to be. Get 6 wins and a .500 record and you're likely going to a bowl. 2 of those wins can be against IAA opponents. So in reality, you can be 4-6 vs. D1 opponents on the year. That's a really low bar that has been set.

Sorry to be late to the discussion and dragging up old threads, but this is not right. Yes, a D-1A (er, excuse me, "FBS Subdivision") school can play two games against 1AA (er, that is, "FCS Subdivision") schools, but can only count one win towards the six wins needed for bowl eligibility. That is why it seems to me to be stupid for a school like UVA to schedule two of them in one season like they did this year. Even if they had won their last two games after losing to Maryland to finish at 6-6 they would not have been bowl eligible.

Not that there was much chance of that since their last two games were on the road against BC and VT, but still.

I don't disagree with the point that going to a bowl is not as hard to do as it used to be but that is the landscape before us today. And the three ACC teams that did not get to a bowl game would have gladly been mediocre enough to go to one of those second or third tier bowl games. Same with the four Big 12 schools that did not make it, including Texas.

Sorry to be late to the discussion and dragging up old threads, but this is not right. Yes, a D-1A (er, excuse me, "FBS Subdivision") school can play two games against 1AA (er, that is, "FCS Subdivision") schools, but can only count one win towards the six wins needed for bowl eligibility. That is why it seems to me to be stupid for a school like UVA to schedule two of them in one season like they did this year. Even if they had won their last two games after losing to Maryland to finish at 6-6 they would not have been bowl eligible.

Not that there was much chance of that since their last two games were on the road against BC and VT, but still.

I don't disagree with the point that going to a bowl is not as hard to do as it used to be but that is the landscape before us today. And the three ACC teams that did not get to a bowl game would have gladly been mediocre enough to go to one of those second or third tier bowl games. Same with the four Big 12 schools that did not make it, including Texas.

Oops, my bad, I thought it was two wins versus FBS opponents. Still, getting to a bowl game is way too easy, I believe another poster showed that 65% of D1 teams go to a bowl game which means that you simply need to not be in the bottom 1/3 of all D1 football playing schools and you can go to a bowl.

Personally, I think you should have a winning record vs D1 schools to be eligible for a bowl. I don't think wins vs FBS schools should count. That basically means you need to be 7-5 to be considered.

And they don't get him. Instead go with Edsall.

I am not very happy with the hire. I think if you fire Fridge who could have been one win away from a major bowl game and possible coach of the year honors. Instead he is looking for work and we hire Edsall who is a Fridge mirror in some ways. I think recruiting in the region is a problem and while I think Leach could fix that, I am not sure how much better Edsall will be.

For me a lot is tied to the coaches he brings with him. To think this whole thing started when Franklin left is crazy.

Archived