Drunk Driver who killed Adenhart gets 51 to life

ITS KYLEEEE

This is obviously a very complex social issue. The teacher in me would like to see (and maybe it exists in some places, and I'm not aware of it) first time offenders have to regularly attend MAD meetings so that they really have to face - hear and see - the consequences which can be associated with their actions. I know and have spoken with multiple people who have been convicted of drunk driving, and I've noticed in them an egocentric viewpoint of how they have been "put out" by their punishments. Statements about how hard it was to get around while their licenses were suspended and even a complaint from one person that she was "already pulling in her driveway" when caught. When I mention my personal story their attitude quickly changes, but before that, I notice a detachment from their actions since luckily nobody was hurt in their cases. I would hope that many decent human beings would take more responsibility for their actions after they are forced to see firsthand the real effects of drinking and driving.

Cindy, I'm sorry for what you went through. I, personally, am very glad I was hit when I was. If our children would've been with us... I'm just glad they weren't. Happy Holidays to all the OH.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're probably right, but he did also have two previous DUIs with injuries. I'd be interested to see what he have received if he was a first time offender.

I had assumed this was true, but now that I've looked, I only see reports of one previous DUI, and I'm not sure if anyone was injured in that incident. Gallo also had prior convictions for failure to wear a seatbelt, and possession of marijuana. Due to the prior DUI conviction, his license already was suspended when he hit the car carrying Adenhart and the other victims. So, still a lot of very bad surrounding circumstances, but we should keep our facts straight. The "three time DUI" discussion earlier in the thread isn't applicable.

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/nick_adenharts_killer_prior_dui_drug_convictions/584061

Here's how I look at DUI.

1) For most people who have not gotten a DUI arrest, there is probably some luck involved. Many people who don't drink think that if someone is convicted of a DUI, they must have been "smashed" and driving their car. That's not always the case. For people who drink regularly and have a high tolerance, you can be legally drunk and yet not be feeling many effects from the alcohol. I am pretty sure that I have been over the limit at times in my younger days and been driving, but was lucky not to get caught.

2) For most people, I would think ONE DUI arrest would be enough to straighten them out. I was with a friend at an Orioles game when we got pulled over coming home. My friend was driving, and the cops locked him up for DWI, which is under the legal limit but OVER a certain percentage. I want to say .07 maybe? Anyway, being with my friend that day was all the scare I needed to make a conscious effort to never again get behind the wheel after having anything to drink, and I wasn't even the one driving that day!

3) The people that have more than 1 DUI have a problem. If they weren't scared straight after the first arrest, they need help. Serious help. I'm talking about attending alcohol addiction classes. Suspending their license. Installling breathalizers in their cars. Etc. To me, anyone getting multple DUI's should have to prove they are clean for a long time before being able to operate a vehicle again.

There are enough accidents in the world without having to account for drunk drivers out there. Luckily I have never lost anyone to a drunk driver, but I can tell you, I would have a hard time EVER forgiving someone if they were to hurt a friend or family member of mine.

I had assumed this was true, but now that I've looked, I only see reports of one previous DUI, and I'm not sure if anyone was injured in that incident. Gallo also had prior convictions for failure to wear a seatbelt, and possession of marijuana. Due to the prior DUI conviction, his license already was suspended when he hit the car carrying Adenhart and the other victims. So, still a lot of very bad surrounding circumstances, but we should keep our facts straight. The "three time DUI" discussion earlier in the thread isn't applicable.

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/nick_adenharts_killer_prior_dui_drug_convictions/584061

I wasn't trying to make things up here. I got that information from a local link on CNN. I'm trying to find that link, but it could be very possible, that that information was incorrect.

Archived