Reporting in

bigbird

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't trade a top 5 MLB player for a starter with little experience and 2 prospects.. to me that's crazy. If they turned that down, I'm ok with it. The primary difference for my stance is that since we are keeping Tejada we are going to spend to compete next year so I prefer to keep Tejada and sign a Soriano type player and trade for a Shealy/Carter type player... as opposed to starting over AGAIN with a promising young pitcher in Santana and 2 promising prospects.. now, if we don't increase payroll then I agree they should have gotten what they could. Which we're still not sure of...

Start over AGAIN? When did we ever start over?

Aybar and Wood would have been your left side of your IF for the next 10 years.

Santana is more valuable than any starter we have, including Bedard.

If this is starting over, i am all for it.

Listen, you just want to believe this guy who said we were offered Santana, Aybar, & Wood. It makes for a good story. I thought it was a mistake to turn down Santana/Aybar so the addition of Wood would make turning it down ridiculous in my book. But I don't believe it was ever offered.

Actually no i don't because if we did turn that down, we are in worse shape than i even thought.

But there is some reason to believe that we may turned it down.

I think you need to open your mind a little to this.

I am not saying it is or is it not true...I don't know anymore than you but unlike you, i am not shutting it down either.

Not to be rude, but what did you really tell us that we didn't know in this post? I'm sure most of my posts are worse however.

So, you knew:

1) That the Orioles wanted 4 players from the Angels.

2) That the MASN deal is close.

3) That no team wanted Nioner because of his option and we don't want to pay any of it.

4) That part of the reason we didn't make these deals was because we are still worried about this year.

YOu knew all of that?

I think it could have been close and not close at the same time. For example, the GMs could have seen something like Santana/Aybar/Wood and jumped all over it, but PA wouldn't even consider it unless there were 4 players. Thus explaining BB's source saying it wasn't even close, and this other guy's source saying that a deal was in place but PA squashed it. Again though, semantics.

So basically the other teams are ticked off they couldn't consumate a deal with (i.e. rip off) the O's for Tejada, things are getting leaked all over the place to make us look bad, plus add the fact the national media loves to diss the O's it all makes sense. Hopefully Boston can give us something worthwhile for Javy if he clears waivers. Abe Alvarez would make sense seeing as he has lost that top prospect status. I'm not sure if I'd want to get rid of Javy for nothing though, even a innings eater for Ottawa would be somebody you wouldn't have to sign in the offseason, so lets hope he makes it. It would be great to see the O's back in the big spenders category again if MASN is the cash cow it is supposed to be.

Knew 2-4.. #1 I didn't think they wanted 4 players but I NEVER thought they were actually going to trade tejada, I even wrote that on my blog days before the deadline. Still I'm not trying to rag on him at all, I'm just saying.

Really? You knew we didn't want to pick up Conine's option?

Where did you see that MASN was close?

You knew we were still gunning for this year?

Or did you just ASSUME these things?

Start over AGAIN? When did we ever start over?

Aybar and Wood would have been your left side of your IF for the next 10 years.

Santana is more valuable than any starter we have, including Bedard.

If this is starting over, i am all for it.

I expected this comment and while in principle it is correct, to me, anything that pushes our ability to compete out 3-5 more years, is starting over...

Archived