Rosenthal: O's focus back to Derrek Lee

wildcard

Whoever of Harper and Werth isn't in right field in the future will just shift over to center.

Is Harper a centerfielder, I thought he was a catcher? Werth only plays there because of injuries to others as far as I have seen. Boras blew that up to make Werth look more versatile but that is far from his best position, right? Morse is probably in left.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Harper a centerfielder, I thought he was a catcher? Werth only plays there because of injuries to others as far as I have seen. Boras blew that up to make Werth look more versatile but that is far from his best position, right? Morse is probably in left.

If they sign Prince Fielder, I'm guessing they'll find a way to make it work. If Harper lives up to the hype their lineup will be ridiculous.

Harper was moved to RF after signing with the Nationals. The team says he'll play a lot of CF in the minors now that Werth is in the fold. Werth will also get some time in CF.

Simple question:

Why would Lee want to come here for anything more than a one year contract? Why would we want anyone for a one year contract?

I think the one year is because he has had an injury. He could stay for another year if he has a good 2011.

Lee fits between Markakis and Scott. He gives the O's a middle of the order hitter they need to move up. Who knows what happens during that year.

I really don't care what the Nationals are doing. My concern is with the Orioles and getting a first baseman. I prefered Lee myself, but when it was looking like we would get LaRoche I was fine with that too. Now it seems we've got a good shot of landing Lee again. The O's are playing musical chairs and as long as we've got a seat when the music stops I'll be happy.

I think the one year is because he has had an injury. He could stay for another year if he has a good 2011.

Lee fits between Markakis and Scott. He gives the O's a middle of the order hitter they need to move up. Who knows what happens during that year.

OK, but my point is this, you are Derrek Lee and you want to play for a contender, you have been clear about that.

The only people that want you are Washington and Baltimore.

You want to contend.

Basically in his mind he wants that one-year deal, pull a Beltre and hit the market again for that last solid contract.

And I understand that, but my question is why would the Orioles want to do that? What do they get out of it? Lee is a fine player and I would love to have him, but if you aren't on the verge of competition in 2011 then why would we want to pay Lee and rent ourselves out for a year so he can rehab his image and hit the road leaving us in this exact same position next year?

[please note this is just a discussion topic, playing devil's advocate]

Harper was moved to RF after signing with the Nationals. The team says he'll play a lot of CF in the minors now that Werth is in the fold. Werth will also get some time in CF.

That sounds a lot like the team rationalizing what they'll do years in the future. They have to know that Harper is probably no center fielder at all, after years of catching. And Werth is a center fielder like Nick Markakis will be at 32 - probably a -10 fielder there, if not worse. Werth is more likely to be their first baseman in 2013 than their center fielder.

OK, but my point is this, you are Derrek Lee and you want to play for a contender, you have been clear about that.

You want to contend.

Basically in his mind he wants that one-year deal, pull a Beltre and hit the market again for that last solid contract.

And I understand that, but my question is why would the Orioles want to do that? What do they get out of it? Lee is a fine player and I would love to have him, but if you aren't on the verge of competition in 2011 then why would we want to pay Lee and rent ourselves out for a year so he can rehab his image and hit the road leaving us in this exact same position next year?

Why would the O's want him for a year? Simple. To put a winning team on the field for once. If the O's start to win then FA will come to Baltimore instead of telling them not to bid. Then the O's can add what they need to continue to be a winner year after year.

The O's have a big jump to make and they have a big hole at 1B. If Lee is the best available to help them fill that void then I don't think him being a rental player is a problem for the O's. Heck, what was Tejada last year? Or Millwood?

You want to contend.

First of all, for the 2011 season Lee fills a need.

A #3 hitter with good upside who plays good defense, which will help the young pitching.

As for what it is in it for us...Well, he was a type A FA this offseason...If he has a good bounce back season, he will be a type B FA at least, so we will end up with 1 and maybe 2 picks for him.

We also could look to trade him in July if we aren't performing well as a team but he is individually.

In fact, the better question is why wouldn't the Orioles sign him for 1 year?

Pitching? Strasburg and pray for rain?

Strasburg, Zimmerman, Storen (relief)

They admittedly don't have the volume of good pitching prospects/young pitchers we have. But even with that we have Matusz and then lots of hope for Arrieta and Tillman. With Britton in the wings. So it's not like we are locks for greatness with our prospects.

They have some decent pitching prospects in the minors. No sure things.

But we have some pretty big ?s too.

The difference is the Nats have decided to go after top and expensive talent to surround their young players with. We are choosing a different route.

Offering 2nd place or third place contracts for your top offseason targets is well intentioned, but the path to 4th and 5th place in the AL East is lined with good intentions.

Strasburg, Zimmerman, Storen (relief)

They admittedly don't have the volume of good pitching prospects/young pitchers we have. But even with that we have Matusz and then lots of hope for Arrieta and Tillman. With Britton in the wings. So it's not like we are locks for greatness with our prospects.

They have some decent pitching prospects in the minors. No sure things.

But we have some pretty big ?s too.

The difference is the Nats have decided to go after top and expensive talent to surround their young players with. We are choosing a different route.

Offering 2nd place or third place contracts for your top offseason targets is well intentioned, but the path to 4th and 5th place in the AL East is lined with good intentions.

The single biggest failing of the Angelos era has been an unwillingness to go all-in with their amateur acquisition and development system. It's the one place they could develop an advantage over the big market teams and they choose not to. Yes, they occasionally drop decent money on a Loewen or a Wieters, but they're shockingly out of the picture in other areas.

Archived