Ted Leonsis/Orioles? (UNFOUNDED RUMOR)

lanslaxcj

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paul Allen owns an NFL team in Seattle, and an NBA team in Portland... not sure if that correlates.

Also, Mark Cuban owns the Dallas Mavs and has inquired about buying multiple MLB teams across the country.

The NFL is the only league I'm aware of that has that issue. It used to be that you could not own an NFL team and a team from another league in a different city. That rule was amended for Paul Allen when he purchased the Seahawks (and prevented them from moving) to the current rule, which is that you can not own an NFL team and a team in another league in a different city if that same city has an NFL team. No NFL team in Portland = no issue for Paul Allen. Not sure how they worked it out with Stan Kroenke, who recently bought majority ownership of the St Louis Rams, but IIRC he also owned the Denver Nuggets.

Since Leonsis doesn't own an NFL team, I don't know of any rule that would prevent him from owning a MLB team outside of DC.

He'd definitely want MASN that's for sure...

Why are so many sports organizations looking to launch their own TV channels these days? That’s a question I recently took to Washington Wizards and Capitals owner Ted Leonsis[...]

“I’m a media executive and I also understand the Internet and broadband and cable,” he said. “So I’m unabashed in saying at some point, I’m going to be in the network-content-delivery business. I’m just going to[...]”

when I asked [Leonsis] what model he thinks is the best, he focused on other things.

He pointed to the success of both Mid-Atlantic Sports Network and Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic in the Washington market as evidence that the models for traditional regional sports networks could be changing. No longer does a regional sports network have to be dependent on tying up local professional rights in both the summer and winter. CSN Mid-Atlantic is profitable with teams that play in the winter (Wizards and Caps); MASN is profitable with teams that play in the summer (Orioles and Nationals)[...]

Leonsis scoffed when I suggested some teams would be better served collecting a nice, big (and ever-increasing) check from a regional sports network rather than trying to launch their own channels. That type of thinking, he said, is too short-sighted.

“That’s the difference between income statement versus balance-sheet accretion,” he said. “Owning a part of a network or a network is a very valuable enterprise.”

Here

Doesn't look like he's tight fisted with the dollars so maybe a MacPhail-type GM would never fly under his reign which is a bonus.

Leonsis has maintained a cordial and respectful relationship with Pollin for years, while losing an estimated $100 million on the Capitals over the past 10 years, according to sources close to Leonsis.
Here

Ted Leonsis may be fan-friendly and all of that, but he is obviously also a passionate owner.....a passion that Peter Angelos appears to lack.

But, I'm a little leery of Leonsis' "hands-on" approach to solving problems.....;)

Nah, I think Leonsis is genuinely a good guy. I wouldn't worry about the "hands on" thing ;)

Yes, he's definitely passionate. It'd be a much welcomed change. I'd love for it to happen.

I'm not sure if there is any substance at all to this rumor...it doesn't appear there is at this point. But things are slow... I will say this, a few years back I was following the Caps a bit (never got into it like baseball), and I emailed the guy with my thoughts on a trade that was being rumored ( I must've had a lot of spare time back then), and to my amazement the guy emailed me back. It was a few paragraphs long, and obviously not just a generic response due to his tackling of specific issues in my email. Regardless, it was a positive experience from a fan perspective. I can't even get the GM of the Baysox to respond to my questions.

I used to work for Ted. He is a great motivator, an excellent marketer, and well liked by all of his employees. The best thing about Ted is he learns from his mistakes. Soon after buying the Caps he went the free agent route only to have it blow up in his face. He then took a step back and let his GM build through the draft. It was painful for a few years, but the Caps are now one of the best run and well stocked teams. If he were to organize an ownership group with Cal that would be the best thing ever for us O's fans. It probably won't happen since he just took over the Wizards and also enjoys owning the Capitals, but we can dream.

Since I know more about hockey than baseball I can told that Ted Leonsis is one of the best owner of the NHL. Even in Montreal people know him. I remember last year when the Montreal Canadiens beat the Caps in round 1. Leonsis appologize to all the fan for the upset.

Also if some of you got HBO Leonsis is on the Show 24/7 Caps-Pens for the Winterclassic. He talk about the pride of the caps and the fact that they only have one goal: the Stanley cup.

Leonsis also really like the media, I remember a few years ago he and Alex Ovechkin have made a TV commercial together here the link:

If he buy the O's I would be the most happy guy on earth!

But things are slow... I will say this, a few years back I was following the Caps a bit (never got into it like baseball), and I emailed the guy with my thoughts on a trade that was being rumored ( I must've had a lot of spare time back then), and to my amazement the guy emailed me back. It was a few paragraphs long, and obviously not just a generic response due to his tackling of specific issues in my email.

I know for a fact he still does this, he responded to my email regarding the Wizards about a month ago.

And I agree with everyone else, this would be great for the O's if he took over.

I used to work for Ted. He is a great motivator, an excellent marketer, and well liked by all of his employees. The best thing about Ted is he learns from his mistakes. Soon after buying the Caps he went the free agent route only to have it blow up in his face. He then took a step back and let his GM build through the draft. It was painful for a few years, but the Caps are now one of the best run and well stocked teams. If he were to organize an ownership group with Cal that would be the best thing ever for us O's fans. It probably won't happen since he just took over the Wizards and also enjoys owning the Capitals, but we can dream.

I wish I had a boss like him. Come to think of it, there probably isn't any boss like him - except him. I agree - he's stretched out way too thin to even think about buying the O's at this time - what with dealing with a PAINFUL rebuilding process with the Bullets. Maybe in a couple of years...

Archived