Rumor: D. Lee agrees to 1 year deal with O's pending physical

MatthewW

It's actually a simple procedure: (A) sniff glue for 9 hours, (B) offer Boras' client a contract that's nearly double what the market would otherwise abide, © resist the urge to save Narnia, (D) prepare to not-profit.

This, let's give the Werth contract a couple of years and we will see how great it is for the Nationals franchise.

Any fan can dream up a team that's going to win a lot of games when they ignore money and just throw whatever contract they want at whomever they want. Unfortunately it isn't at all realistic, and it certainly doesn't make you a more knowledgeable fan to suggest it. In fact, the opposite is true. This act has been tired for what seems like an eternity. It's a shame, the conversation on this board went so well for about 3 days recently...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first base merry go round has been fun. First Lee was signing here soon and then LaRoche last week. I think the O's want an answer from both and finally get the merry go round to stop. Could we have an answer today?
I think two things are holding a signing up. Lee is waiting to see how what happens with Beltre affect his options, and Lee is playing DC off the O's to up his $$$,

As of the most recent forbes list I quoted a couple weeks ago he is now in the 900 million range after the economic downturn, of which the O's (not MASN) is around a third of the total value.

I think that was 2009.

Unless he buried cash, he is probably back in the Billion plus range.

Angelos is worth (net) about 1.1 to 1.3 billion in current value.

I've seen that number as well. The issue is that its not liquid net worth. The bulk of that is tied up in the value of his law firm, the Orioles and MASN. I don't know this for sure, but I would think Lerner's net worth is much more liquid and would have an easier time running a team at a loss or at break even. He's a commercial real estate mogul which is a much more cash flow oriented business compared to the litigation profession. So he would have greater access to cash without it actually hurting his asset base than Angelos would. In other words, Lerner wouldn't need to sell off assets to raise cash where Angelos most likely would to have the stock pile of cash he might need available. This may not be the case, but it something to think about.

I've seen that number as well. The issue is that its not liquid net worth. The bulk of that is tied up in the value of his law firm, the Orioles and MASN. I don't know this for sure, but I would think Lerner's net worth is much more liquid and would have an easier time running a team at a loss or at break even. He's a commercial real estate mogul which is a much more cash flow oriented business compared to the litigation profession. So he would have greater access to cash without it actually hurting his asset base than Angelos would. In other words, Lerner wouldn't need to sell off assets to raise cash where Angelos most likely would to have the stock pile of cash he might need available. This may not be the case, but it something to think about.

That sounds reasonable.

That sounds reasonable.

And as someone stated before. Lerner has the experience of enormous unoccupied office complexes and strip malls bought and built in a raging bull real estate market sitting vacant, bringing in no income, and deteriorating with age. Much like Werth and other over valued potential Free Agents will do for his ball club.

In this thread I saw the O's in on Beltre, Lee pending physical. How about this then....

D. Lee - 1st/DH

BRob - 2nd

Hardy - Short

Beltre - 3rd

Reynolds - DH/1st

Scott - LF

Jones - CF

Nick - RF

Matt - C

Pie 4th OF

Riemold @ Norfolk

Nolan pushes at AAA and posts a .300/.400/.500 line and we really have a good trade chip at the deadline in DLee with Reynolds moving to 1st, Scott to DH and either Felix or Nolan taking left.

Beltre, Hardy, Lee, and Reynolds in one off season. Man I could really enjoy that. Here's to another shot of orange kool-aid.

As much as I'm all for getting at bats for Pie and Reimold... the people on the board can only have it one of two ways: get those two guys at bats at the expense of them not performing to a proven veteran capacity with the hope that one day they can produce at average-or-better levels

OR

move Scott back into left and get a guy at DH and 1B that can actually hit the ball and have done so over their careers. This is possibly the best way to see the Orioles win in the short term.

But you can't have it both ways. Waiting for two young guys to put it together over the benefit that a guy like Thome would bring to the lineup is the difference between winning 70 games and 80 games.

As much as I'm all for getting at bats for Pie and Reimold... the people on the board can only have it one of two ways: get those two guys at bats at the expense of them not performing to a proven veteran capacity with the hope that one day they can produce at average-or-better levels

OR

move Scott back into left and get a guy at DH and 1B that can actually hit the ball and have done so over their careers. This is possibly the best way to see the Orioles win in the short term.

But you can't have it both ways. Waiting for two young guys to put it together over the benefit that a guy like Thome would bring to the lineup is the difference between winning 70 games and 80 games.

I'm all for bringing in a stud DH. Pie as 4th OF and let Reimold earn his way back from Norfolk. I think Reimold will one day be a very good player for us but he should not be guaranteed a spot until he earns the guarantee.

Archived