Orioles Lineup with Derrek Lee

larrytt

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only if we were to get Thome or even Vlad.

Otherwise more like 17.

So let me understand your logic here: Since we failed to improve our team last year, we therefore need to improve by an outrageous 25-30 wins via some ridiculous moves (which contrary to your belief, would still not net us a playoff spot next year).

That's just bad business and that's how companies fail. Just because you don't do too well in one year, doesn't mean you throw all your chips in the next year hoping for a crazy turnaround. Rather, you learn from your mistakes and get back on track by making smart decisions and building back up at solid, stable, and plausible rate.

There's always going to be "better" moves out there. Doesn't always mean they will come to fruition. As of right now, AM made some solid moves this offseason- ones that are definitely moving this team in the right direction.

I personally don't mind signing a Thome or Vlad type. You could essentially do something like this:

LF: Scott

CF: Jones

RF: Markakis

3B: Reynolds

SS: Hardy

2B: Roberts

1B: Lee

C: Wieters

DH: Thome or Vlad

BN: Reimold [backup LF, DH off the bench]

BN: Pie [backup OF, defensive substitution, pinch hitter and base runner]

BN: Izturis [backup MI]

BN: Fox [backup C, OF, IF, bat]

That's pretty damn solid, actually.

You're right. Six of the top eight players in the AL are on the Sox. :rolleyes:

Pretty close.

Boston has Pedroia, Gonzalez and Crawford as the best at their position in the AL and Lester is one of the best pitchers in the American League if not the best. King Felix is great, but Lester is right there with him.

I hate to break it to you but all those Red Sox core players are MVP candidates. The Orioles don't have anybody close to those 6 players in terms of talent.

And, of course, you completely avoided addressing the fact that you project the Sox to almost all have career years, while projecting Reynolds and Pie to not even approach theirs, instead just repeating injury-plagued down seasons.

Let's go ahead and jump the gun, and work out the new O's lineup, assuming we sign Derrek Lee. Assume we have no other major acquisitions. Most of the lineup is pretty much set, though you could choose Reimold over Pie if you want, or put Scott in LF with Reimold at DH, or possibly other variations.

Here's my projected 2011 Orioles Lineup:

1. Roberts 2nd S

2. Markakis RF L

3. Lee 1st R

4. Scott DH L

5. Reynolds 3rd R

6. Jones CF R

7. Pie LF L

8. Wieters C S

9. Hardy SS R

I like most of this, but I am not convinced Luke Scott is our answer as a No. 4 spot.

Again, possible. But likely only if you have a huge axe to grind.

Agreed. And I think the only reason he hates Pie so much is that he's an ex-Cub and therefore one of "MacPhail's" guys.

Also, it's ironic how El Trea promotes lineup protection but doesn't think that it could work the other way around...such as Pie being in a lineup with better hitters could help him. No, that's not possible.

Archived