Zrebiec: O's Agree to Terms w/ Lee

Os84

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tweeeted by Buster Olney this morning:

Buster_ESPN

Heard this: The O's liked Adam LaRoche, but were concerned about giving him a three-year deal. By giving Derrek Lee a one-year deal (more)

Buster_ESPN

they are staying flexible. It will be interesting to see if the Orioles get involved in the Prince Fielder talks next winter.

Buster_ESPN

Also, another pivotal factor in the signing of Derrek Lee was his defense; Buck Showalter believes in having a strong defensive 1Bman.

Buster_ESPN

The mystery of the first weeks of the new year will be: Where is Rafael Soriano going to get his expected money?

You expect him to improve on his numbers last year? Or would you be happy with the same production?

.260 avg

19 homers/80 rbi

I think he'll have modest improvement. 20-25 bombs, similar average, 350ish OBP. I consider Lee to be Victor Martinez light. Considering the abysmal production from the position last year, it will be a welcome improvement.

I still hope the O's go out and get Vladdy for DH and give Luke Scott LF. That would be a lineup with threats from positions 1-9...something this club has not seen in a while.

The O's offered 3/$24 mm, he wanted 4/$36mm, if I recall correctly.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and all. But I remember alot of people saying Lee would be an even better hitter if he got out of the Marlins home ballpark. Then they traded him and he did what most expected him to do. To bad the O's missed the boat on him the first time. That contract would have been a bargain by today's standards and even back then with the production the Cubs got out of him.

I wanted Dunn going in, defense be damned. Was intrigued by Konerko for a few days. Liked LaRoche til I was convince. SG kept saying that one year of a great player declining is better than three years of a mediocre player, also declining. LaRoche's playing with us, and Lee being right handed and a better fit for our 3-hole sealed it.

Kinda wishy-washy, I know. But I'm happy tonight.

I had my mind changed as well. The Lee/LaRoche debate in its entirety was a great example of this board at its best IMO.

The prospect of an upcoming season has me more excited than I've felt in a long while.

Archived