Zrebiec: O's Agree to Terms w/ Lee

Os84

The only reason why I would like this signing is if ends with a Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez signing next offsason. I would rather have 3-4 years of LaRoche then 1 year of Lee and then an average signing after that. I think that Lee will have a good season in Baltimore, and help our team this season, but if next offseason we miss on Fielder or Gonzalez then this signing is a bad one, in my opinion. Only because I think that LaRoche over the next 3 seasons is better then Lee this year and a scrub next.

The only 1B currently on the free agent list that is not named Adrian Gonzalez, Prince ielder, and Albert Pujols is Ross Gload, so this 1 year deal better end with a long term one next year.

Agreed----Good points

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is disappointing that we'll still be searching for a long-term 1B solution next offseason (especially since BRob's going to represent another hole sooner rather than later), but I'd put our 2011 lineup against most comers. It's going to be an interesting year.

Everyone is touting Boston as favorite to win the division. DH Ortiz, RF Drew and SS Scutaro are all one year solutions at this point. And no one knows if Salt will stick at catcher. So its pretty hard to give the O's any grief on signing a productive one year+ solution in Lee.

Glad to see us finally get the 1b spot filled, although my sister (a Cubs fan) is gonna be devastated that he didn't go back to Chi-town (she LOVES Derek Lee.)

I know I'm probably over reacting, but these kind of quotes always worry me:

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Lee was lukewarm with the idea of signing with the Orioles earlier this offseason, but the number of teams with first base vacancies has dwindled.

I just hope he doesn't come here with an attitude of "whatever, I'm only here for a year." I don't think that's the case with him, but it's in the back of my mind.

I'm going to be realistic here. Lee is coming off surgery, he's 35, he's coming off a poor year by his standards and he'll be facing tough competition. I can see a downside where he resembles the Huff of 2009, with a slightly higher OBP and better defense. But the upside is that he's the Lee of 2009. If that's the range of possible outcomes, I'm very satisfied. We know Lee will be motivated to have a great year. An outcome in the middle, even lower middle of his range of outcomes likely produces 100 RBI.

Everyone is touting Boston as favorite to win the division. DH Ortiz, RF Drew and SS Scutaro are all one year solutions at this point. And no one knows if Salt will stick at catcher. So its pretty hard to give the O's any grief on signing a productive one year+ solution in Lee.

It's not grief, exactly. I think Lee on a one-year deal represents the best of a bad situation (after Dunn signed elsewhere...I haven't wavered from that opinion). Given that the O's weren't in a position to send a ransom to the Padres for AGon, I don't think the O's could've done much better for themselves.

Honestly, I'd put our 2011 lineup up against any other team's. We wouldn't "win" the head-to-head in every case, but our lineup won't get blown away by anyone else's. If our pitching develops as hoped, I think the O's will be serious troublemakers in 2011.

Glad to see us finally get the 1b spot filled, although my sister (a Cubs fan) is gonna be devastated that he didn't go back to Chi-town (she LOVES Derek Lee.)

I just hope he doesn't come here with an attitude of "whatever, I'm only here for a year." I don't think that's the case with him, but it's in the back of my mind.

He is playing for his last big contract. I doubt we get anything but his best. Contract year!

Honest question----Was D.Lee Your 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th choice going into this off-season ?

How did you rank the available 1st baseman?

My order was :

A Gone

Dunn

Victor Martinez

LaRoche

Lee

So--that is my rational with the so so reaction to this news. Hopefully he is better than what we had last year but was hoping for more since we compete in such a tough division.

Hey, he was still on your list.

Honest question----Was D.Lee Your 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th choice going into this off-season ?

My order was :

A Gone

Dunn

Victor Martinez

LaRoche

Lee

So--that is my rational with the so so reaction to this news. Hopefully he is better than what we had last year but was hoping for more since we compete in such a tough division.

Rank by what criteria?

Best for 2011?

Best for the next 3-4 years?

Best value while maintaining payroll flexibility?

Best choice if money is no object?

The ratings are different in every case. Depends on your priorities.

Tell me your priorities, I'll tell you how my list matches up.

<div style="background:#000000;width:440px;height:272px"><embed flashVars="playerVars=showStats=yes|autoPlay=no|videoTitle=Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah (Official Music Video)" src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/sy-17305740001/leonard_cohen_hallelujah_official_music_video.swf" width="440" height="272" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_sy-17305740001" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></div><div style="font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-17305740001/leonard_cohen_hallelujah_official_music_video/">Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah (Official Music Video)</a>. Watch more top selected videos about: <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/topics/Leonard_Cohen/" title="Leonard_Cohen">Leonard Cohen</a></div>

He's coming here to reestablish his value. I'd think having to sign with a crap team for low money would give him more incentive to arrive in great shape and put in 110% this year.

My order was :

A Gone

Dunn

Victor Martinez

LaRoche

Lee

AGon - Would have cost too many prospects and wasn't coming to Baltimore.

Lee - Best solution

VMart - Not a 1B defensively

LaRoche - Starts slow and does not have the upside.

Dunn - Simply a DH

Archived