Zrebiec: O's Agree to Terms w/ Lee

Os84

I'm going to be realistic here. Lee is coming off surgery, he's 35, he's coming off a poor year by his standards and he'll be facing tough competition. I can see a downside where he resembles the Huff of 2009, with a slightly higher OBP and better defense. But the upside is that he's the Lee of 2009. If that's the range of possible outcomes, I'm very satisfied. We know Lee will be motivated to have a great year. An outcome in the middle, even lower middle of his range of outcomes likely produces 100 RBI.

It sounds like he wants to get another contract before retiring. That (hopefully) means he will work hard as an Oriole, as I don't see/want this team to resign him after next year. hey, maybe it's even possible he can get Type A/B status.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rank by what criteria?

Best for 2011?

Best for the next 3-4 years?

Best value while maintaining payroll flexibility?

Best choice if money is no object?

The ratings are different in every case. Depends on your priorities.

Tell me your priorities, I'll tell you how my list matches up.

Simple --- Best for Upgrading/Improving our team this year and beyond and help turn us into contenders in the near future.

He is playing for his last big contract. I doubt we get anything but his best. Contract year!
He's coming here to reestablish his value. I'd think having to sign with a crap team for low money would give him more incentive to arrive in great shape and put in 110% this year.

Good points, both of you. I didn't look at it that way.

Glad to see us finally get the 1b spot filled, although my sister (a Cubs fan) is gonna be devastated that he didn't go back to Chi-town (she LOVES Derek Lee.)

I know I'm probably over reacting, but these kind of quotes always worry me:

I just hope he doesn't come here with an attitude of "whatever, I'm only here for a year." I don't think that's the case with him, but it's in the back of my mind.

I don't buy that idea, at least not on a one year deal. If he really wants a one year deal to secure a better multi-year deal next year, he has EVERY incentive to go balls out this year.

I don't buy that idea, at least not on a one year deal. If he really wants a one year deal to secure a better multi-year deal next year, he has EVERY incentive to go balls out this year.

Yeah, I didn't think of that...good point. Where's my jump to conclusions mat? :D

AGon - Would have cost too many prospects and wasn't coming to Baltimore.

Lee - Best solution

VMart - Not a 1B defensively

LaRoche - Starts slow and does not have the upside.

Dunn - Simply a DH

So D.Lee was your number ONE target going into this off-season at first base to help turn our team into a contender asap. ??

Very nice. Legitimately excited about this lineup next year. Still wouldn't mind Thome, Ramirez, or Guerrero as the DH with Scott in LF and Pie as the 4th OF but I'm guessing that isn't in the works.

Now, just add a RP or two and possibly a veteran SP and I think we are a very solid team.

Honest question----Was D.Lee Your 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th choice going into this off-season ?

How did you rank the available 1st baseman?

My order was :

A Gone

Dunn

Victor Martinez

LaRoche

Lee

So--that is my rational with the so so reaction to this news. Hopefully he is better than what we had last year but was hoping for more since we compete in such a tough division.

Lee was my first choice for the whole offseason.

Great news. AM managed to get Lee, Reynolds and Hardy...all serious upgrades and a giant leap vs lefties without costing a single draft pick or starting pitcher. Of course, if we go out now and blow a pick on a reliever I'll blow my top. But Lee is the guy I wanted all along....happy it worked out.

One heck on a defensive team. Add Wieters, Pie, Jones and Nick.

No doubt! Our defense and offense can go toe to toe with any team in the league. Now we just need the pitching staff to continue what they did under Buck last season and we really have something. I think this is the first time I've been excited about watching this team in quite a long time!

I don't know if Lee can produce at the level of his '09 season going forward or not. But I do know that he is a really good guy, and that effort will not be an issue. This guy is a pro's, pro. Lee will show up in great shape, be a great teammate, and hopefully he can still play at DLee's established level.

In any event, you have got to tip your cap to Andy MacPhail. The man has had an awesome off season for this organization. The Baltimore Orioles are indeed relevant again. I said all along that AM had an opportunity to make some great moves this off season, and he has done just that. Color me impressed.:)

Archived