Lots of well connected people are saying Edsalls name.

PaulBako

So they beat Rutgers when they were in 1-AA and they went to a league where they could beat Rutgers again... So what? Point is, if Petrino stayed at Louisville; if Rodriguez stayed at WVU; Edsall's Huskies would've been in the bottom of the league. And yeah, the ACC is down on football as well. And Maryland couldn't manage to beat Va. Tech and FSU. Their not going to beat them with Edsall at the helm. Teams have been known to switch conferences and do well. Hell Louisville left C-USA, which hardly should've been considered a 1-A league in football and joined the Big East, and with Petrino at the helm won a BCS bowl game.

Oh BTW... Boise State came from the FCS.

Yes, they did. Is the WAC a major conference? Was the Big West?

Your logic is just all over the place here. Rutgers, just two seasons ago, was a pretty solid football team. Conference strength or not, moving from a 1-AA conference to a BCS conference and winning it as quickly as Edsall did was impressive. You don't have to be impressed by it, and that's fine. But stop shrugging it off like it's no big deal. That's simply not correct. John-OH's complaint about Edsall's record against top-25 teams is at least a valid one (and probably my argument with his hire, too).

Look, I wanted Leach and all, but let's not make it seem like we know everything we're getting with Edsall. We don't know if it's a good hire or not until we see what he does in recruiting here at Maryland. Leach wasn't exactly a master-recruiter either, but recruiting here isn't anything like it is picking up the scraps in Texas. Edsall's already shown an ability to pick off talent from Maryland. If he can keep some of the top talent from fleeing the area like they usually do, I'll be pretty stoked. That's how Maryland goes from being the middling program they are right now to a better one. Edsall's shown an ability to craft a program. I'm willing to see what he does here.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not having the talent to compete with Oklahoma doesn't mean he can't get talent on his own.

The people making the "they got blown out in a BCS game" really know nothing.

Would you be happy with Bob Stoops as the MD coach? He had lost 5 straight BCS games and some of them he was destroyed. Does that mean he can't get talent, recruit or coach?

How easy do you guys think it is to recruit to UCONN for football? They have no tradition. Maine/Conn/Vermont/NH/RI isn't exactly an area known for football. He has to go outside of that area, down to the area MD likes to recruit out of and that is also where Penn St, VT and others recruit from.

What Edsall did at UCONN is very impressive.

Whether he can make this a better team than Fridge did is to be seen.

Is Leach going to be a better recruiter than Edsall? Is he going to be able to go into a parents living room and look at them eye to eye and say he was right about the way he treated Craig James' son?

I think hiring either of these guys is good for MD.

What I don't think is that any of the people on this site are educated enough on these 2 to say that one is definitively better than the other.

What I do know is that Edsall is very well respected, that many people thought he should have been the Miami U coach and that he took a nothing football program from a lower division and turned them into a very respectable program.

My point is mostly about what Edsall does, or more accurately doesn't, do in generating interest in the program. Say what you will about valuing style over substance, but I'd be shocked if UM sees a surge in ticket sales over this. And ticket/suite sales matter. And in reference to the Fiesta Bowl, my point wasn't that UConn got blown out. It was merely the style of football UConn plays. It's boring. Contrast that to what Oklahoma does....spread the field, dictate a fast tempo to the defense, and get the ball into the hands of all of your playmakers. That's what we were hoping for at MD next season.

Yes, they did. Is the WAC a major conference? Was the Big West?

Your logic is just all over the place here. Rutgers, just two seasons ago, was a pretty solid football team. Conference strength or not, moving from a 1-AA conference to a BCS conference and winning it as quickly as Edsall did was impressive. You don't have to be impressed by it, and that's fine. But stop shrugging it off like it's no big deal. That's simply not correct. John-OH's complaint about Edsall's record against top-25 teams is at least a valid one (and probably my argument with his hire, too).

Look, I wanted Leach and all, but let's not make it seem like we know everything we're getting with Edsall. We don't know if it's a good hire or not until we see what he does in recruiting here at Maryland. Leach wasn't exactly a master-recruiter either, but recruiting here isn't anything like it is picking up the scraps in Texas. Edsall's already shown an ability to pick off talent from Maryland. If he can keep some of the top talent from fleeing the area like they usually do, I'll be pretty stoked. That's how Maryland goes from being the middling program they are right now to a better one. Edsall's shown an ability to craft a program. I'm willing to see what he does here.

Way to totally ignore everything I said. First off the question was name a FCS or 1-AA team to be successful in 1-A, well I did. I said Boise State. And i'm sorry, Boise State is far more exciting than UConn. Wow, their in a conference that isn't as hyped as the the Big East. But I'd put Nevada and Boise Station up against West Virginia, Louisville, UConn and any other Big East team right now. Their programs are far more exciting. Louisville hasn't been exciting since Petrino left.

My whole argument has been Edsall isn't a better recruiter than the Fridge. He doesn't have better wins than Leach. He is at most the same coach when it comes to strategy as Fridge.

And you guys say we can't compare Edsall's Uconn team to the GREAT teams. Well why not? When the A.D. says the goal is to make the Terps a GREAT team, we have every right to.

Please read my posts before saying crap.

My point is mostly about what Edsall does' date=' or more accurately doesn't, do in generating interest in the program. Say what you will about valuing style over substance, but I'd be shocked if UM sees a surge in ticket sales over this. And ticket/suite sales matter. And in reference to the Fiesta Bowl, my point wasn't that UConn got blown out. [b']It was merely the style of football UConn plays. It's boring. Contrast that to what Oklahoma does....spread the field, dictate a fast tempo to the defense, and get the ball into the hands of all of your playmakers. That's what we were hoping for at MD next season[/b].

We were? I was hoping for wins. Maybe a major bowl appearance. I couldn't give a crap less about how "exciting" the offense looks. If the talent is attracted and the team wins, people will go to the stadium regardless of what offensive style the team's playing.

I love how you guys argue.

Me: He's not a better recruiter. He doesn't have many quality wins. He won't beat the great teams.

Sports Guy: You're stupid, football doesn't matter, personality does.

J.D.: You don't have valid points. Talk about him not being a great recruiter, or that he doesn't have quality wins. I mean those are valid.

Way to totally ignore everything I said. First off the question was name a FCS or 1-AA team to be successful in 1-A, well I did. I said Boise State. And i'm sorry, Boise State is far more exciting than UConn. Wow, their in a conference that isn't as hyped as the the Big East. But I'd put Nevada and Boise Station up against West Virginia, Louisville, UConn and any other Big East team right now. Their programs are far more exciting. Louisville hasn't been exciting since Petrino left.

My whole argument has been Edsall isn't a better recruiter than the Fridge. He doesn't have better wins than Leach. He is at most the same coach when it comes to strategy as Fridge.

And you guys say we can't compare Edsall's Uconn team to the GREAT teams. Well why not? When the A.D. says the goal is to make the Terps a GREAT team, we have every right to.

Please read my posts before saying crap.

I said, "And you don't think moving from Division 1-AA to 1-A is hard? Go ahead and tell me the last coach to go from 1-AA to a 1-A major conference title in less than 10 years. I'll wait."

The WAC isn't a major conference. Next time you want to be snarky, try some reading comprehension skills. Otherwise, shut up.

UConn has zero history as a football school before Edsall took over the program, and he built it from scratch. Comparing UConn's situation to Texas Tech, a school with a huge undergrad base in a talent-rich area, with a good deal of school tradition, is ridiculous. A more apt comparison WOULD BE the early 2000's Boise State, if they played in the Pac-10 and not the WAC.

Anderson and Loh both mentioned at the press conference when Ralph was let go that we wanted to go higher. Take the program and this university from good to great. Edsall certainly deserves a chance to take this program to the next level and maybe he can do it. Still, as of today, this was at best a good hire and not a great one. In that sense, Anderson has failed.

We get the two and three star recruits now. Edsall has never had a top 50 recruiting class and yet people are going on about how he is a good recruiter. We will get the same type of players at least. Two and three star recruits from NE, SC, NC and Georgia, as we have done under The Fridge. You don't get the good recruits from Florida and Texas without being a great team.

We get the two and three star recruits now. Edsall has never had a top 50 recruiting class and yet people are going on about how he is a good recruiter. We will get the same type of players at least. Two and three star recruits from NE, SC, NC and Georgia, as we have done under The Fridge. You don't get the good recruits from Florida and Texas without being a great team.

If you can't see the disadvantages associated with recruiting at UConn, I honestly have no idea what else can be said to you. I don't. I'm at a complete loss.

I said, "And you don't think moving from Division 1-AA to 1-A is hard? Go ahead and tell me the last coach to go from 1-AA to a 1-A major conference title in less than 10 years. I'll wait."

The WAC isn't a major conference. Next time you want to be snarky, try some reading comprehension skills. Otherwise, shut up.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm as bad at reading comprehension as you are. I will just change my name to J.D. Jr.

The WAC isn't a major conference, but it is a tougher conference, at the top, than the Big East is at the moment. The Big East did not deserve a BCS title game and UConn got lucky because the league is trash.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm as bad at reading comprehension as you are. I will just change my name to J.D. Jr.

The WAC isn't a major conference, but it is a tougher conference, at the top, than the Big East is at the moment. The Big East did not deserve a BCS title game and UConn got lucky because the league is trash.

At the moment. Not 8 years ago, when Boise won their first WAC title, and the comparison would've actually been valid.

There's no point in continuing this discussion with you. Rather than resorting to the cheap jabs and name calling like you've decided to go to, I'm simply going to walk away. Stay classy, sir.

If you can't see the disadvantages associated with recruiting at UConn, I honestly have no idea what else can be said to you. I don't. I'm at a complete loss.

So we have to settle for the same recruits? Because he couldn't get the big names at UConn much like The Fridge wasn't able to lure the big names to Maryland, we just assume that he's going to come in and start making strides? He's going to lose the good Maryland and VA recruits to Virginia, VA Tech and WVU, much like The Fridge did. It's hard for us to compete in our own backyard. Yet because this guy had a tough time selling kids on UConn, it's going to be better here. I don't find your logic.

I love how you guys argue.

Me: He's not a better recruiter. He doesn't have many quality wins. He won't beat the great teams.

Sports Guy: You're stupid, football doesn't matter, personality does.

J.D.: You don't have valid points. Talk about him not being a great recruiter, or that he doesn't have quality wins. I mean those are valid.

I read the whole thread, and all I've seen is you cry about SG. His posts talked about football and why he thought it was a good hire. Apparently, you're too emotional right now to discuss something rationally and you've done nothing but belittle him. Kudos to SG for not taking the bait. The only thing you've done is say that Edsall isn't as good of a recruiter, without anything to back it up.

IMO, this is a good hire for MD. Edsall is an up and coming coach, and has done a good job of recruiting at UConn, where nobody wants to play. He's turned that program into a decent one, and that is impressive considering they are coming from 1-AA. Is he a sexy hire? No, but he's very solid and I would rather get him than Leach.

At the moment. Not 8 years ago, when Boise won their first WAC title, and the comparison would've actually been valid.

There's no point in continuing this discussion with you. Rather than resorting to the cheap jabs and name calling like you've decided to go to, I'm simply going to walk away. Stay classy, sir.

You really need some help. You and Sports Guy call me stupid and then say I'm name calling. Get bent!

Archived