Lots of well connected people are saying Edsalls name.

PaulBako

Right, you can't show me where I did that because I didn't. Thanks for clearing that up.

First: You go on to say I'm wrong to point out that he can't beat great teams, but that someone else who posted numbers backing up my argument was making a valid point. Then because I post a successful 1-AA to 1-A team but did not meet you're complete parameters, I'm not good at reading, fine. Next "you don't know what to say to me" because I make a comparison in recruiting.

Dude, don't say crap to me again. It solves the problem.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW... LOL at anyone who's been a MD sports fan the last 9 years or so thinking we could close the deal on something great for this program. Cue up the Lucy pulling the ball out from under Charlie Brown pic once again.

And yes my responses were vitriol AFTER the insinuation that I'm not smart was thrown out there.

I tried to put why It's a bad hire, IMO, but than told I'm uneducated, because I compared UConn to OTHER FOOTBALL teams that we have to challenge to be a GREAT Team!

What I don't agree with is that Leach is a much better coach.

And certain coaches may be better suited for success at certain programs than other places. I agree that you can't say one is better than the other, in general. I think Leach would have been the better fit for UM, but time could prove me wrong on that one.

First: You go on to say I'm wrong to point out that he can't beat great teams, but that someone else who posted numbers backing up my argument was making a valid point. Then because I post a successful 1-AA to 1-A team but did not meet you're complete parameters, I'm not good at reading, fine. Next "you don't know what to say to me" because I make a comparison in recruiting.

Dude, don't say crap to me again. It solves the problem.

I won't. There's no problem with that. Let me just clear up a myth you seem to be having here. At no point in there did I "insult" you personally. I disagreed with the points you were making and the validity of them, but the first person to mention anything about reading comprehension, sir, was you. I'll bold the related part:

Way to totally ignore everything I said. First off the question was name a FCS or 1-AA team to be successful in 1-A, well I did. I said Boise State. And i'm sorry, Boise State is far more exciting than UConn. Wow, their in a conference that isn't as hyped as the the Big East. But I'd put Nevada and Boise Station up against West Virginia, Louisville, UConn and any other Big East team right now. Their programs are far more exciting. Louisville hasn't been exciting since Petrino left.

My whole argument has been Edsall isn't a better recruiter than the Fridge. He doesn't have better wins than Leach. He is at most the same coach when it comes to strategy as Fridge.

And you guys say we can't compare Edsall's Uconn team to the GREAT teams. Well why not? When the A.D. says the goal is to make the Terps a GREAT team, we have every right to.

Please read my posts before saying crap.

I get that you and SG were pretty heated and that I chimed in agreeing with him, but don't fabricate things and lump us together. You started being disrespectful to me, and you've continued to escalate it. Other people have disagreed with me in this thread, and it's been perfectly civil.

And certain coaches may be better suited for success at certain programs than other places. I agree that you can't say one is better than the other' date=' in general. [b']I think Leach would have been the better fit for UM[/b], but time could prove me wrong on that one.

If you are looking at it strictly from a selling tickets aspect, then you are probably right..at least immediately selling tickets(lets face it, if Leach came here and didn't advance the program, then the ticket sales would have gone back down).

In terms of recruiting, coaching, etc...I am not sure leach is any better than Edsall. That's all I am saying..No one here really can say one way or another.

I won't. There's no problem with that. Let me just clear up a myth you seem to be having here. At no point in there did I "insult" you personally. I disagreed with the points you were making and the validity of them, but the first person to mention anything about reading comprehension, sir, was you. I'll bold the related part:

I get that you and SG were pretty heated and that I chimed in agreeing with him, but don't fabricate things and lump us together. You started being disrespectful to me, and you've continued to escalate it. Other people have disagreed with me in this thread, and it's been perfectly civil.

I said to re-read what I posted because you said my points weren't valid. The points being that he is not a good recruiter, and doesn't have quality wins. Than you post that someone who posted numbers on his W/L record against top teams was valid. Where does it say "you need reading comprehension lessons?"

And certain coaches may be better suited for success at certain programs than other places. I agree that you can't say one is better than the other' date=' in general. I think Leach would have been the better fit for UM, but time could prove me wrong on that one.[/quote']

Time may prove you absolutely right, too. It'll suck that Maryland made a mistake in passing on Leach if that turns out to be the case. It'll be an intriguing thing to watch down the line, for certain. I'm just willing to give Edsall some time, given what he did at UConn. I understand being disappointed with the hire. I'm not willing to say whether it was a good or bad hire yet.

3-2 bowl record...6 of the last 8 years of 8 or more wins, including 5 of 7 since his team joined the Big East.

Wow, he won 8 games a season and three lower tier bowl games in a lackluster conference...yay. If I were a Maryland fan (which I'm not), I would be yawning all the way back to the ticket lines.

Wow, he won 8 games a season and three lower tier bowl games in a lackluster conference...yay. If I were a Maryland fan (which I'm not), I would be yawning all the way back to the ticket lines.

Its pretty impressive when you consider where the UCONN program was though. That's the key.

And the Big East has had some good years and good teams over the last 7 years...but agree that it has been down lately..Of course, so has the ACC.

There is no question that what Leach accomplished in TT is impressive..I am not doubting that. But those accomplishments don't make him a better coach than Edsall and they may not help him recruit because of the James stuff.

Also, outside of Crabtree, did his offense produce a lot of pro players? I don't recall hearing a lot of Texas Tech guys going pro but maybe I am wrong about that one...and yes, that is important to recruits.

Are folks who are upset that Edsall was hired, and looking at his recruiting and wins at UConn to berate the hiring, of the belief that UConn is as good of a program as Maryland? Shouldn't he be more successful at MD since they are better set up to recruit in the area than UConn? Shouldn't he have better players already at MD than he did at UConn?

I said to re-read what I posted because you said my points weren't valid. The points being that he is not a good recruiter, and doesn't have quality wins. Than you post that someone who posted numbers on his W/L record against top teams was valid. There does it say "you need reading comprehension lessons."

You and SG had that discussion about win/losses against top-25 teams. You and I did not. I'm not SG. I took issue with you poo-pooing what Edsall DID accomplish at UConn in building the program. And I disagreed that UConn and Maryland have the exact same recruiting situation. For everything else, I've been completely "wait and see" on it.

You said, "Please read my posts before saying crap." How exactly was I supposed to take that? It's the same implication.

I'm pretty done with this, honestly. This is petty, a mod said something about it, and beyond that, I don't have any interest in going down this trail any further. I should have walked from this five posts ago.

You and SG had that discussion about win/losses against top-25 teams. You and I did not. I'm not SG. I took issue with you poo-pooing what Edsall DID accomplish at UConn in building the program. And I disagreed that UConn and Maryland have the exact same recruiting situation. For everything else, I've been completely "wait and see" on it.

You said, "Please read my posts before saying crap." How exactly was I supposed to take that?

You chimed in to say I was all over the place with my message. Which was about his win/loss against top teams and other football related topics. But not long after you put on there about someone who made my point, but took the time to google the numbers.

I wasn't poo-pooing anything. I was stating that the Big East was down! It was! I was stating that if some of the good coaches who left the Big East stayed, Edsall wouldn't have done as well in the W/L as he did. He wouldn't have. Bobby Petrino and Rich Rodriguez were better recruiters and coaches. Both had their teams in the BCS title picture, not just a bowl, but the Title picture. I was also stating that I didn't see the "great" recruiter that others were.

I only said to re-read what I posted BEFORE saying it wasn't valid, and then saying a person who said the same thing, but google the numbers was.

I would have to think that the other ACC schools are ecstatic that we chose Edsall over Leach.

I think one point that hasn't been made here is why Leach wasn't chosen. This may not be an Anderson problem - but a problem of the current/future player's parents. If they decide to pull their kids because of Leach's problems with TT than that changes things.

Leach may be innocent - but the damage to his ability to recruit may be damaged beyond repair.

Archived