Vlad about to fall in the O's lap?

wildcard

I'm hearing this secondhand, but I've heard a couple of people mention it now.

Is this from MLB Network's Hot Stove or one of his Twitter postings? Unfortunately, I have access to neither at work.

I find this hard to believe considering some local beat reporters (i.e., Roch) think we're done with "major" acquisitions. Still, what do you think?

Vlad would be a good fit but I doubt it happens and I wouldn't trust Heyman too much, he guaranteed that Cliff Lee would sign with the Yankees and we know how that turned out.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather have Cantu at half the price. Cantu can backup 1st or 3rd and be a RH DH.

I agree with this. Vlad doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Orioles. We don't need another right handed bat. We've added Lee, Reynolds, and Hardy, all of whom are right handed, and we have Reimold on the bench. Thome makes a little more sense, but not a whole lot.

I agree with this. Vlad doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Orioles. We don't need another right handed bat. We've added Lee, Reynolds, and Hardy, all of whom are right handed, and we have Reimold on the bench. Thome makes a little more sense, but not a whole lot.

Give me Willie Aybar over Cantu.

I find this hard to believe considering some local beat reporters (i.e., Roch) think we're done with "major" acquisitions. Still, what do you think?

Putting aside this specific issue, I don't find the opinions/reports from our beat reporters on these types of issues to be very reliable. If they say we are talking to some player or his agent, then we probably are. But if they say we have no interest in a particular player or some area of the team isn't a priority, I don't necessarily think that information is reliable. Our front office is always reluctant to give the impression that they feel a sense of urgency in any area, and they play their cards close to the vest as to who they are interested in. I think sometimes the national reporters have better sources, either within the organization or (more likely) in the agent community.

Now, as to Heyman in particular and this specific rumor, I have no idea.

I could see the O's having an interest in Vlad if they are looking to trade one of Reimold Pie or Scott in a package for a SP.

If we're able to do this to bring back a solid and relatively young SP, that's the one way I could get behind signing Vlad or Thome.

Putting aside this specific issue, I don't find the opinions/reports from our beat reporters on these types of issues to be very reliable. If they say we are talking to some player or his agent, then we probably are. But if they say we have no interest in a particular player or some area of the team isn't a priority, I don't necessarily think that information is reliable. Our front office is always reluctant to give the impression that they feel a sense of urgency in any area, and they play their cards close to the vest as to who they are interested in. I think sometimes the national reporters have better sources, either within the organization or (more likely) in the agent community.

Now, as to Heyman in particular and this specific rumor, I have no idea.

I don't know if Chaos had tongue in cheek when he wrote that but I agree Frobby that the front office likes use the local and MASN reporters to get their message out but that message is next to show interest in a specific player.

Archived