Vlad about to fall in the O's lap?

wildcard

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I pointed out these same red flags about seeming old, hitting poorly outside of Arlington, having a mediocre second half, injury-prone, etc., when Vlad's name first came up But let's not pretend the guy has no upside for 2011, either. Would it really shock anyone if he had an .850+ OPS and 100 RBI in 2011 wherever he winds up?

I'd say the odds that Vlad outproduces Reimold in 2011 are 75%. So, if you don't want Vlad over Reimold, it has to be either because (1) he's too expensive, or (2) you are looking beyond 2011 and want to give Reimold some breathing room.

I agree that Vlad could have upside for 2011, but I don't put the odds quite so high. His second half last season, he really looked lost. Vlad has always swung at horrible pitches. But, he used to make contact with them. Last couple of months, it seemed like he was still swinging at pitches outside the zone, but missing them big. If I had to chose between Thome and Vlad, I'd go with Thome. If I could trade for a solid young left-fielder, using some combination of Scott, Tillman, and/or prospects, I'd do that. Otherwise, I'd just as soon see Reimold and Pie given one last shot to show that they can be regular ML players.

That doesn't mean he uses them. I'm simply relaying his reason why he doesn't watch the games.

I know. But can't isn't really that right word here, which is why I replied. Doesn't want to spend the money or chooses not to are more appropriate to his situation.

Pie can't play LF adequately and was among the worse defenders in baseball at that position.

So Scott/Reimold would actually be an upgrade in LF defensively even with Hairston in CF.

Jerry's played games in CF over the past few seasons, so he's adequate out there for the role he'd have unless you expect Jones to miss huge amounts of playing time.

When you watched Pie play LF last year what made you think that he's one of the worst LF? Just curious.

Pie can't play LF adequately and was among the worse defenders in baseball at that position.

So Scott/Reimold would actually be an upgrade in LF defensively even with Hairston in CF.

Jerry's played games in CF over the past few seasons, so he's adequate out there for the role he'd have unless you expect Jones to miss huge amounts of playing time.

Clueless. :rolleyes:

Please don't tell me you are getting this from your precise UZR ratings?

I agree that Vlad could have upside for 2011, but I don't put the odds quite so high. His second half last season, he really looked lost. Vlad has always swung at horrible pitches. But, he used to make contact with them. Last couple of months, it seemed like he was still swinging at pitches outside the zone, but missing them big. If I had to chose between Thome and Vlad, I'd go with Thome. If I could trade for a solid young left-fielder, using some combination of Scott, Tillman, and/or prospects, I'd do that. Otherwise, I'd just as soon see Reimold and Pie given one last shot to show that they can be regular ML players.

You could say the same about Reimold too. Difference is that Vlad has a great track record. Still, while I think there is a good chance that Vlad outproduces Reimold next year, I'd much rather give Nolan the AB.

Fair enough. I will edit for historical representation and accuracy.

Of all the things that MLB has screwed up on, this is one thing they've done really well. It's never been easier to watch your out-of-market team. NFL still fails miserably with this.

I would do this as well. I just can't think of an available outfielder to fit this description.

Upton was the one guy discussed earlier in the off-season. SG was all over him, but the if there was any real interest in trading him, his team pulled back on it pretty fast.

If the Dodgers are really having money problems with the ownership/divorce issues, perhaps Ethier or Kemp could become targets. And, we should look at cheap teams that might have young players coming into arbitration eligibility or nearing free agency.

Upton was the one guy discussed earlier in the off-season. SG was all over him, but the if there was any real interest in trading him, his team pulled back on it pretty fast.

If the Dodgers are really having money problems with the ownership/divorce issues, perhaps Ethier or Kemp could become targets. And, we should look at cheap teams that might have young players coming into arbitration eligibility or nearing free agency.

What is Grady Sizemore's status? He is the one guy I can think of that makes decent money that a team may want to deal.

Not directing this to you necessarily, NC! Just wanted to put that name out there.

Archived