Edsall the Coach

brotherlo38

Let's avoid ranting about this decision and just take some time to look at Edsall the coach. I'm hoping to keep this positive but I know a lot of "Terp Nation" is still fuming.

• The overall record doesn't worry me, the conference record and record vs. top 25 do make me concerned.
  • This current UConn team had 8 recruits from FL, 7 from MD, and 15 from PA. They're not the best recruits but it's not like Edsall had the best program to recruit to. What I take away from this is that Edsall likely has some connections with coaches in areas we recruit. Overall, I think he'll do about the same as Ralph & Co., hopefully along the lines of the last 3 years.
  • I'm hearing a lot of people complain about a "three yards and a cloud of dust" offense. Edsall had a QB throw for 3,000 yards twice at UConn, Fridge never had a 3,000 yard passer. I think Edsall adapts to his personnel, which is a good trait to have as a coach.
  • I like that he's keeping his RB coach (they've had good RB's there and the coach reportedly has good FL connectoins) and ST coach. I'm still undecided on the OC, I'll wait and see what he does with a talent upgrade

Feel free to add. Let's keep this about Edsall and his coaching ability and stay away from Leach/Anderson/the University. I also don't care too much about Edsall and how he left UConn. 90% of head coaches are jerks and there's very little that shocks me about their actions.

I also don't care too much about Edsall and how he left UConn. 90% of head coaches are jerks and there's very little that shocks me about their actions.

Agreed. Pretty classless that while the rest of the team flies back to Connecticut after the biggest game of their lives, he's on a flight to College Park without telling anyone.

Agreed. Pretty classless that while the rest of the team flies back to Connecticut after the biggest game of their lives, he's on a flight to College Park without telling anyone.

It's not like he's the first coach to pull that, or even went about it in the worst way. Hell, Brian Kelly just a year ago skipped out on Cincinnati right before their first appearance in a BCS Bowl to go to Notre Dame, and their players found out through the media.

That stuff used to really bother me, but it's become so much the norm now that I'm really numb to it.

I admit that I was not initially happy about Edsall, to say the least. Before he even was rumored to be the choice I did not want to go with him. But that was really more a case of deciding without really knowing, kind of like deciding I don't like some food when I've never even tasted it. So I have tried to open my mind and see what people outside the Maryland fanbase have to say about him.

On the plus side, if he runs a pro style offense it lends itself better to recruiting players who want to go on to the next level than a system like Leach's. He is reported as saying he will adapt to the players he has available, so that should be a good thing.

My biggest concern is the degree to which his team's performance has been limited by the talent of the players he is able to recruit, as compared to being the result of uninspiring schemes. I want to see winning football, though it would be nice to be entertaining football as well. But if it ends up looking like the Ravens I'll take it if it leads to a championship.

I am looking forward to watching Terrapins Rising this year to see what the team looks like and how they react to the coaching staff. I'll give the guy a chance, but I do understand the frustration of so many fans who are criticizing him for what he is not. It's nice to know that he grew up as a Terps fan, so if he has success in College Park maybe he will stick around instead of using it as a way to get an SEC, Big 10 or Big 12 job.

Just as classless as the way Anderson fired Freidgen. Looks like Anderson and Edsall might be the perfect "classless" match.

There were three things that Edsall said in his press conference yesterday that I really liked.

1) He called coaching the Terps his dream job, and got really animated when he said it. Yes, that was true for Friedgen also, but this is good to hear. No way would Leach or Malzahn say the same thing. If Edsall has success he is less likely to bolt for a "better" job down the road.

2) He said he came to win championships. That's plural. Not that he came to play hard and try to win a (single) championship, but that he came to win championships. The goal every year will be to be playing for the ACC title and be in position to win the BCS title.

3) When discussing whether Penn State might be added to the schedule in the future Edsall said something to the effect of, "We're the University of MARYLAND! We don't have to do that two-for-one crap! If they want to play one-for-one, let's set it up and go right now!" This is in response to the reports that for years Penn State has wanted to do a two for one series rather than home and home.

I do not necessarily agree that Friedgen had to go (as opposed to being extended for two or three years), and was not initially in favor of Edsall even before he was rumored to be hired. But I am warming to the guy and want to see him succeed. I believe he has a real chance to do so.

Let's avoid ranting about this decision and just take some time to look at Edsall the coach. I'm hoping to keep this positive but I know a lot of "Terp Nation" is still fuming.
  • The overall record doesn't worry me, the conference record and record vs. top 25 do make me concerned.
  • This current UConn team had 8 recruits from FL, 7 from MD, and 15 from PA. They're not the best recruits but it's not like Edsall had the best program to recruit to. What I take away from this is that Edsall likely has some connections with coaches in areas we recruit. Overall, I think he'll do about the same as Ralph & Co., hopefully along the lines of the last 3 years.
  • I'm hearing a lot of people complain about a "three yards and a cloud of dust" offense. Edsall had a QB throw for 3,000 yards twice at UConn, Fridge never had a 3,000 yard passer. I think Edsall adapts to his personnel, which is a good trait to have as a coach.
  • I like that he's keeping his RB coach (they've had good RB's there and the coach reportedly has good FL connectoins) and ST coach. I'm still undecided on the OC, I'll wait and see what he does with a talent upgrade.

Feel free to add. Let's keep this about Edsall and his coaching ability and stay away from Leach/Anderson/the University. I also don't care too much about Edsall and how he left UConn. 90% of head coaches are jerks and there's very little that shocks me about their actions.

Just FYI. I assume this is who you were refering to.

Miami names Richardson running backs coach

Yeah...oh well.

Heard Edsall's 980 interview today. Sounds like he's going to be out this summer trying to invigorate the fanbase. That's something Ralph hasn't done the last few years and I think it's a great sign.

Let's see how excited the fan base actually gets before we anoint Edsall's signing as "great." My guess is....not very.

First, I said him going out to promote the team is a great sign, not that his hiring is a great sign.

Second, you've made your point pretty clear in numerous threads. You don't like the hire, you don't like Anderson, and you don't like much about the Maryland program right now. You're really not adding anything to the conversation except the constant refrain of "X is classless" and "we're doomed".

Yeah...oh well.

Heard Edsall's 980 interview today. Sounds like he's going to be out this summer trying to invigorate the fanbase. That's something Ralph hasn't done the last few years and I think it's a great sign.

Unless he's passing out benjamins at a McHenry Tunnel tollbooth, I don't think anyone is going to be very invigorated. If Randy Edsall wants to invigorate the fan base, just win the ACC next season and wait until summer 2012....he won't even have to leave his home for people to be excited.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/recruiting/2011/01/edsall_hire_a_home_run_analyst_says.html

The mistake people make is – and I’m going to go against Scout.com and Rivals here – but people rely on these star rankings. But Randy goes out and identifies kids that fit his program. And he’s tremendous at developing players. I have seen that time and time again. I can go through his roster and just pick out his entire starting lineup, his entire starting defense, and just player after player after player that came out ranked as a two-star
Sounds like another successful coach that is employed by Maryland.

You are exactly right. But remember how fickle the fans were with basketball too. It wasn't too long ago they were calling for Gary's head and blaming his recruiting for a couple average seasons.

Archived