Who is a better defensive SS than Miggy?

wildcard

This is a difficult question its seems. There may be many reasons to trade Miggy but one of them is that he did not have the range to be a SS on a contending team according to some statements made by Trembley. However, I don't hear the names of better, proven defensive SS being mentioned in trades. The names are young guys that we don't have stats on for the most part.

I am not for trading Miggy if the return does not make the O's better. In some way, some how.

Miggy's defensive numbers are:

2007: .971 fpct, 4.27 rf, .843 zf

2006: .972 fpct, 4.56 rf, .824 zf

Cedeno does not appear to be a upgrade defensively looking at his 2006 number when he played alot at ss:

2006: .956 fpct, 4.02 rf, .838 zf

Wilson has been mentioned as being better. He looks steadier. I'd say it is questionable if he is better range wise according to zf.

2007: .983 fpct, 4.96 rf, .810 zf

2006: .972 fpct, 4.97 rf, .837zf

I don't have numbers on Hu, but Baseball Prospectus compares him favorable to Vizquel which is quite a compliment.

I have no numbers on Wood or Lillibridge.

There may be many reasons to trade Miggy including age, salary, the return that can be gotten, etc. But if the O's stated reason of improving defensive to go with a strategy of pitching and defensive as a way to contending is looked at I think the field is very limited in the SS that the O's can acquire that will fit that model better than Miggy.

When you add the fact that Miggy is not only hard to replace defensively but also is the O's cleanup hitter and for the O's to improve a deal has to at least have the potential to improve the team defensively and offensively, then the task of replacing Miggy is even harder.

Now don't get me wrong. If trading Miggy makes the team better then the 4th place team that they are, then I am for it. I simply am not hearing a plan that gets the team to be better. In many ways the players mentioned just seem to make the team worse or in some cases a latteral move.

Some of you guys are much better at defensive stats then I. So if you can explain in English, not geek speak, how any players the O's can obtain is better defensively than Miggy, I would love to read it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The numbers don't show how many puppies he killed with his bad defensive play.

You mean to funny but you are quite right. I was disgusted at times with Miggy making an error or droping a relay throw that allowed a run. It was very discouraging. However, when you look at the stats it appears that he is no worse then many of the ss we are talking about and in most cases he is better.

I see not point in trading Miggy if it does not make the team better.

You mean to funny but you are quite right. I was disgusted at times with Miggy making an error or droping a relay throw that allowed a run. It was very discouraging. However, when you look at the stats it appears that he is no worse then many of the ss we are talking about and in most cases he is better.

I see not point in trading Miggy if it does not make the team better.

The point is he's on the downside of his career, only has 2 years left on his deal, and probably won't be on a winning O's team in those 2 years, so why not get some good young talent for him that can be O's for at least 5-6 years?

It's unlikely that trading Miggy will have a positive effect for the O's next year, unless a guy like Pie, Wood, Laroche, etc have a better than expected year, but next year is not the point here. Creating a consistent winner down the line is the point.

I'm all for giving Hernandez 100+ games at short next year.....given that we're building anew. He's not the sole reason of course, but the best ball the O's played this year was while Tejada and Mora were on the DL and Hernandez was the SS. Range! And I know he doesn't have the hitting stats in the minors, but I though he handled himself just fine at the plate.

I don't care what the stats say, Tejada was not good in the field last year. His range is not good and if his zone rating is good, it only tells me that that stat isn't very good. If Tejada is stuck on a team that doesn't compete he will sulk and pout and play lacksadasical baseball again. His value will drop further and in 2009 he will again sulk and pout and play lazy. Then leave as a free agent. We need to get as much for him as possible. We need to explore trading Bedard, Roberts, Hernadez and a bunch of others.

Again, if that defensive stat says Tejada is a good defensive SS then that stat is terrible.

I don't care what the stats say, Tejada was not good in the field last year. His range is not good and if his zone rating is good, it only tells me that that stat isn't very good....

Again, if that defensive stat says Tejada is a good defensive SS then that stat is terrible.

There is no one defensive stat that seems to work all the time for every player.

This is what you are hearing or what you want?

Poor bigbird...everything he says here needs a qualifier. Whenever I read one of his posts I do the same thing..."Oooh...is that what he's hearing or what he's hoping for?"

BB...we should give you a separate handle here: "bigbird-insideinfo" and "bigbird-fan". ;)

Archived