Jon Morosi: Orioles agree with Kevin Gregg

AJismyhero

Again, this move is fine in a vacuum. Gregg gives stability to the pen for the next two years and didn't cost a draft pick.

But, if BAL gave him 2/10 or more, the valuation is all wrong. It's just another small piece in the mosaic of a poorly run franchise.

BTW, I have no doubt in my mind that Buck was pushing hard for this deal to get done.

Yep. This is a manager's move, covering all the bases.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...

Mark Reynolds

Derrek Lee

JJ Hardy

Kevin Gregg

To go with the re-signing of Koji and Izturis, and minor deals such as Accardo and Rosario

And you have yourself a nice little off-season.

Find yourself a LH reliever, a RH bench bat and possibly a starter and :beerchug1:

My lasting memory of Kevin Gregg is that TWICE last year he was pulled from the game in the middle of a save situation against the Orioles.

On July 17, he was trying to protect a one-run lead in the ninth against the Orioles, and he walked the bases loaded. Cito Gaston pulled him (and Gregg barked at him as he left the mound). The next pitcher bailed him out.

Then on September 24, Gregg started the 9th with a 6-3 lead over the Orioles. He gave up two walks and a hit, and Gaston yanked him with a 2-0 count on a hitter. Again, the next pitcher bailed him out.

I guess the point here is that Gregg is prone to having some ugly meltdowns, in many cases caused by his inability to throw the ball over the plate. If he's the Orioles' closer this year, we're going to be sweating things out quite a bit. I'd much prefer Koji as the closer-- he never gets himself in trouble with walks, and he almost always gets the job done (when he's not facing the Yankees).

Hey, can't beat em', join em'!:D I think Buck might go closer by committee unless someone stands out. I too really like Koji closing, wonder how he would do over a whole season.

Who cares how much we paid him? If they gave him 1yr/$20M, it wouldn't mean a dang thing at the end of the day. Everyone is acting as though we are somehow hampering our future by tacking on 10 million over two years... it's $5M a year, who cares. This team has a ridiculously low payroll and the signing is at no expense to ANYONE.

Although I'm mildly displeased with spending $11M on a pretty decent reliever who'll probably not bring back 2/3rds of that in value...

- $11M over 2+ years won't kill any MLB franchise's ability to do much of anything.

- 2/11 for Gregg is better than almost any deal for Balfour. Because of the pick Balfour would have had to sign for something like 2/4 to be a better deal than this.

Who cares how much we paid him? If they gave him 1yr/$20M, it wouldn't mean a dang thing at the end of the day. Everyone is acting as though we are somehow hampering our future by tacking on 10 million over two years... it's $5M a year, who cares. This team has a ridiculously low payroll and the signing is at no expense to ANYONE.

Yes, let's compound the fact that the O's have a fraction of the Sox' and Yank's revenues by paying much more than they need to for mediocre talents.

Orioles 2010

35 saves / 62 attempts (27 blown saves)

Kevin Gregg 2010

37 saves / 43 attempts (6 blown saves)

I know they don't directly relate to each other, but I'm glad to have him. He's very solid bullpen depth.

They relate very poorly because the O's total includes that of middle relievers who are eligible for blown saves, but almost never actual saves. A good closer converts on 85% of his saves or more, while a team is almost always much lower.

- $11M over 2+ years won't kill any MLB franchise's ability to do much of anything.

Wait a minute.....didn't you just jump on me for essentially typing THIS SENTENCE?! :P

[Quoting me earlier]I don't see how that prevents them from doing anything and everything else they need to do during that time period. [/done quoting me earlier]

Who were you going to sign instead exactly? Who is Gregg and his $5M standing in the way of?

It's not Gregg and exactly what I would do with $5M right now. It's the philosophy of taking $5M of the Orioles' limited pile of money and giving it to a player who's probably worth half of what he's being paid.

Every team has limited resources, besides the Yankees. Every time you go into a contract knowing there's little chance of it being optimally priced, you're wasting money that could buy other wins. The league generally pays $4.5M for a win in free agency. The O's just paid for about 2.5 wins from a pitcher who's been worth five in his entire eight-year career.

That's not as insanely stupid as some here say, but it's pretty darned inefficient for a team that has to be twice as efficient as the Yanks to stand a chance.

Archived