Jon Morosi: Orioles agree with Kevin Gregg

AJismyhero

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I will say in defense of Gregg and to argue Drungo's point, I am not sure WAR is the best measuring tool for a reliever.

Bottom line for me is just the production and we could have gotten the same or better production for less.

AM evaluated this situation poorly, overpaid for someone he ahouldn't have and, as has been pointed out, used his resources poorly instead of putting them into international talent.

And I know people are going to say its not the same but it is. I am sure every team has a baseball budget that they allocate for all aspects..ML team, amateur draft and international signings. You can not convince me that right now, the amateur side of things isn't effected by us spending 20 million-ish dollars on our BP in 2011.

I sometimes wonder how much marketing plays into signings like these. You still need to sell tickets, and now the O's can say "we just signed a guy with 37 saves away from a division rival!!!", and that will have much greater appeal to the casual fan than would signing an equally good unknown guy, even if he's cheaper.

One thing I will say in defense of Gregg and to argue Drungo's point, I am not sure WAR is the best measuring tool for a reliever.

WAR isn't too far off in calculating actual wins though, so you've got to admit it can't be that far off...

Bottom line for me is just the production and we could have gotten the same or better production for less.

AM evaluated this situation poorly, overpaid for someone he didn't overpay for and, as has been pointed out, used his resources poorly instead of putting them into international talent.

And I know people are going to say its not the same but it is. I am sure every team has a baseball budget that they allocate for all aspects..ML team, amateur draft and international signings. You can not convince me that right now, the amateur side of things isn't effected by us spending 20 million-ish dollars on our BP in 2011.

Obviously you seem to be more concerned about spending money than the Orioles. Over-paying a little for Gregg won't be a future problem for the Orioles and MacPhail believes he is a good investment. And this deal surely won't affect how much the Orioles are willing to offer whatever big name FA's come available next year. Nor will it prevent them from extending existing players or scouting for international players. If anything, you should be happy they are finally making solid efforts to improve the team.

AM evaluated this situation poorly, overpaid for someone he didn't overpay for and, as has been pointed out, used his resources poorly instead of putting them into international talent.

A small point that might mollify your feelings a bit regards to this is the fact (noted by a poster on Roch's blog) that Gregg has been very healthy over the last few years. Our current relievers have spent some time recently on the DL and this might prevent Buck's next ulcer.:)

Obviously you seem to be more concerned about spending money than the Orioles. Over-paying a little for Gregg won't be a future problem for the Orioles and MacPhail believes he is a good investment. And this deal surely won't affect how much the Orioles are willing to offer whatever big name FA's come available next year. Nor will it prevent them from extending existing players or scouting for international players. If anything, you should be happy they are finally making solid efforts to improve the team.

1) Payroll has never been an issue with me in the context of wanting them to spend money just to spend it. I think they should spend more but they need to spend it on the right players, which they still fail to do so often.

2) AM believed gonzo was a good investment too...Do you think he was right with that assessment?

3) How do you know what it will and won't prevent them from doing?

A small point that might mollify your feelings a bit regards to this is the fact (noted by a poster on Roch's blog) that Gregg has been very healthy over the last few years. Our current relievers have spent some time recently on the DL and this might prevent Buck's next ulcer.:)

This means nothing to me...Jon Rauch has been healthy too...and better and would be cheaper in all likelihood. Saito was much cheaper, better and healthy as well.

Geez can't we see how the guy pitches for the Os before we burn AM at the stake for signing the guy? I bet half this board would be up in arms if the Orioles missed out on Gregg. And finally a free agent signed here because of the moves the team made. That AM made. Pretty encouraging to me. OH and his wife wanted to come here. Take that Tex! :)

Archived