Jon Morosi: Orioles agree with Kevin Gregg

AJismyhero

Didn't see this posted:

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/22413317268049920

I mean, are you serious with this? I know vesting means he has to accomplish something but that is absurd.

I would hope that the vesting option only kicks in if he really reaches some pretty high closer-type milestones. That would imply he's converting a lot of high-leverage opportunities and could possibly be worth that kind of money. There are ~10 relievers a year worth $9M+, so it's plausible.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would hope that the vesting option only kicks in if he really reaches some pretty high closer-type milestones. That would imply he's converting a lot of high-leverage opportunities and could possibly be worth that kind of money. There are ~10 relievers a year worth $9M+, so it's plausible.

I'm going to need something more than a Jon Heyman tweet before getting hysterical about this. Put it this way, if Gregg makes 140 appearances and finishes 120 games in the next two years, then he can have a 3rd year

This means nothing to me...Jon Rauch has been healthy too...and better and would be cheaper in all likelihood. Saito was much cheaper, better and healthy as well.

SG...I know you are a mainstay on the Hangout and you have more posts than probably 95% of all the people that post on here but you seriously need to give it a rest man. We all know that MacPhail is not perfect and he hasn't always done the things that we as fans would prefer but he has done some really good things over the past few years as well and, more importantly, made this team considerably better THIS offseason. He really does deserve some credit. I fully understand that we still stand virtually no chance of competing with the Yankees and Red Sox but for the first time in a long time, I am excited to watch the team that MacPhail has put together. Our infield has been upgraded more than any other team in all of baseball this offseason. Again...no disrespect but instead of complaining about Gregg's contract being too much and complaining that the money used for Gregg's contract could have gone to better things, just be happy that this offseason has been as productive as it has.

People - you can never have enough good arms in the bullpen. How long has our pen been awful? How many games did it cost us last year? While Gregg isn't an elite-type closer, he's a guy that I don't worry about coming in as the closer or 8th inning set-up man.

Even if he's not our closer, there's nothing wrong with a guy that saved 30+ games last year at the back end of the pen.

I was just going thru the lineup and our bullpen -- I realized this is a much improved team from last year. We actually have legit MLB players at almost every position.

I can't get too upset about this signing.

(1) We didn't lose a draft pick.

(2) Gregg isn't an elite reliever but he's durable and consistently above average.

(3) In my opinion he was the best free agent reliever left, aside from guys who would cost us a draft pick.

(4) Is 2/10 a lot to pay for a reliever who isn't an elite closer? Sure. But that's what reliable bullpen help costs on the FA market it seems.

(5) In the long run I'd rather build a bullpen from within, with young power arms that can't quite make it as starters. We had exactly a guy like that in David Hernandez, but we traded him (for a good return). Eventually we may have Arietta or Tillman or some other homegrown guys out there, but right now those guys need to start and there are no obvious internal candidates to replace Hernandez in the bullpen. And I'd rather have Reynolds and Gregg than Hernandez and Ty Wigginton.

SG...I know you are a mainstay on the Hangout and you have more posts than probably 95% of all the people that post on here but you seriously need to give it a rest man. We all know that MacPhail is not perfect and he hasn't always done the things that we as fans would prefer but he has done some really good things over the past few years as well and, more importantly, made this team considerably better THIS offseason. He really does deserve some credit. I fully understand that we still stand virtually no chance of competing with the Yankees and Red Sox but for the first time in a long time, I am excited to watch the team that MacPhail has put together. Our infield has been upgraded more than any other team in all of baseball this offseason. Again...no disrespect but instead of complaining about Gregg's contract being too much and complaining that the money used for Gregg's contract could have gone to better things, just be happy that this offseason has been as productive as it has.

Why can't it be both?

A good offseason doesn't mean this was a smart move...A good offseason doesn't mean it was ok to not offer arb to Millwood, if they indeed want a vet starter. A good offseason doesn't mean they couldn't do even better.

So, while I like a lot of what they have done, I dislike some things as well and seeing as this is a discussion board, this type of thing is going to be discussed.

There is still something to be said, even in a good offseason, about making smart decisions and evaluating the decision makers on those decisions. These are the men who are supposed to build this organization into one of, if not the best, in the sport...because make no mistake about it, that is exactly what they need to become to contend in the AL East and decisions like this one cast a larger storm cloud over that possibility.

Why can't it be both?

A good offseason doesn't mean this was a smart move...A good offseason doesn't mean it was ok to not offer arb to Millwood, if they indeed want a vet starter. A good offseason doesn't mean they couldn't do even better.

So, while I like a lot of what they have done, I dislike some things as well and seeing as this is a discussion board, this type of thing is going to be discussed.

There is still something to be said, even in a good offseason, about making smart decisions and evaluating the decision makers on those decisions. These are the men who are supposed to build this organization into one of, if not the best, in the sport...because make no mistake about it, that is exactly what they need to become to contend in the AL East and decisions like this one cast a larger storm cloud over that possibility.

You can always make your point and question decisions, but I would imagine it is the "sky is falling" comments that do not sit well with some posters over EVERY decision that the FO makes, that you don't agree with. Is it really a horrible decision to add arguably the best legitimate closer available that did not require the loss of a draft pick? The contract does not hamper the club. Even if they do not do what you want them to do, it's not because of this contract.

I'm going to need something more than a Jon Heyman tweet before getting hysterical about this. Put it this way, if Gregg makes 140 appearances and finishes 120 games in the next two years, then he can have a 3rd year

Thirded. There's way, way worse ways to spend money. Keep Gregg out of the closing slot and he'll bank the holds for us. Gregg/JJ/Koji is kinda exciting IMO.

I'm failing to see how a 10 mil contract over 2 years really hurts the O's in any way. It's freaking toilet paper money to Pete. You honestly think that they would take the money they didn't spend on Gregg and put it into something else in the system? Please... They have their own set budget for that.

Remember, this is a business. There are different departments in this business, each with their own budget. Whatever doesn't get spent is PROFIT. You know that thing 100% of the owners are interested in. Just be happy AM got the frog to put more money into the MLB roster in an effort to make it back plus some with improved playing results. No way is money saved or spent on the MLB roster affecting the other areas of the ball club, especially 10 flipping mil. We're talking about BILLIONAIRES here.

You can always make your point and question decisions, but I would imagine it is the "sky is falling" comments that do not sit well with some posters over EVERY decision that the FO makes, that you don't agree with. Is it really a horrible decision to add arguably the best legitimate closer available that did not require the loss of a draft pick? The contract does not hamper the club. Even if they do not do what you want them to do, it's not because of this contract.

First of all, Soriano is the best closer and its not close.

Secondly, it's always a poor move when you could add someone better for less money.

Let's look at all the relievers the Orioles have signed to long term contracts in the last ten years:

Steve Kline

Chad Bradford

Jamie Walker

Danys Baez

Mike Gonzalez

That's 46.5 million total for 339 innings of 5.4 ERA relief. Replacement level for relievers in the AL is 4.5: that's a total of 30 runs, or 3 wins, below replacement.

Giving multi year deals to average relievers is a terrible idea, I don't know why we should still have to listen to This Time It's Different at this point.

Why can't it be both?

I agree with everything you say here. However, it isn't that big a storm cloud compared to, say, the Baez deal. And Gregg does have experience in the AL East, which is a plus in his favor. This is a decent move in terms of improving the bullpen, but not the most cost efficient one. I still want to know the exact terms.

First of all, Soriano is the best closer and its not close.

Secondly, it's always a poor move when you could add someone better for less money.

Well first of all, I agree however last I checked he would cost a draft pick, which is why I said "that did not require a draft pick"

Secondly, I almost agree with you. It's not the argument, it's how you make it. However I would have only wanted to add two other pitchers (who again do not require a draft pick) that would have been cheaper. Those two in order would be Rauch, and Delcarmen, but I would not want either of those guy closing for me, maybe Rauch, but I would rather have Gregg. We are not talking about an avg bulpen arm as some have stated. We are talking about a guy who was 4th in the league in saves last year (37), while doing it in the AL East.

Archived