Jon Morosi: Orioles agree with Kevin Gregg

AJismyhero

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least you know you'll get something out of Gregg. Webb was throwing in the low 80's last I heard, and he got 3M. Could be a complete waste.

This is true, but I think we could get the same production out of Berken, spending about $42.14 per year. Those millions would be MUCH better spend on the farm system. Throw that cash around in the Dominican and see what happens. That's why people are irritated that the O's would spend that kind of cash on a decent reliever. At least, that's why I'm irritated.

But it's minor. Overall, I'm happy adding pitching talent. My own thought was the starting rotation needed attention first, then the pen, which is why I mentioned Webb. But hey, that's why I haven't been hired as a GM yet.

This. If $4M isn't a huge deal BAL should be spending an additional $4M each year between the draft and int'l signings, regardless of if they are safe or low probability. I'd rather gamble $4M there with zero info on the player than throw it away for no reason on ML role players.

This - and that. Agreed completely. It's the priorities that confound me here.

Why? What is the difference in impact on this team's payroll of an extra $1 (since he was rumored at 2/$10 anyway) million? None. Impact on ability to sign another player? None. Impact on ability to sign draft picks? None. None of our other acquisitions, while all pretty solid, had big dollar impacts on the budget. Plenty of money for any draft picks, including overslots. Plenty for international free agents if we ever plan to sign any. Heck, there's still enough to sign Beltre if they wanted to, but they won't.

Everyone admits that this team has to overpay to attract free agents, then complains when they do, even if it's only $1-2 (extra) over 2 years. The extra money really is a non-issue and barely a reason to nitpick the move. And, they could still sign other relief options to MiL contracts with invitations to camp, as well.

This is way correct.

Overall, I'm happy adding pitching talent. My own thought was the starting rotation needed attention first, then the pen, which is why I mentioned Webb. But hey, that's why I haven't been hired as a GM yet.

Just because one thing has a higher priority (in your mind) doesn't mean that you can't take care of other needs at the same time or even sooner. It really doesn't have to happen in the order of need. Some signings or trades take longer than others. Heck, we've been trying to get this one done for a month. When did AM pull of the Bedard trade? If we wait to get little things done until after the big things get done, we'll never do anything.

Who do the O's have in the minors that would be a closer in a year?

Who knows...Maybe some of the arms really step up like VDH, Lebron, etc...

Maybe they scrap the idea of Klein as a starter?

Maybe Arrieta doesn't work out as a starter?

Maybe you trade for someone at the deadline?

Maybe our second round pick is a reliever that can move quickly and be in the majors within a year of being drafted?

There are tons of a possibilities and ones that may be as likely as wanting to hand the ball to Gregg in the 9th inning in 2012.

Those millions would be MUCH better spend on the farm system.

1. I agree with this statement.

2. I don't have any evidence that the O's would actually do it.

3. Shouldn't a MLB franchise be able to do both?

If it's a toss-up between minors and Gregg, I choose minors. Unfortunately, I don't see any evidence that the O's actually operate this way.

Buck clearly wants to win this year and, I think, the O's clearly wanted some insurance for our glass bullpen.

Probably because of the many times we've seen the O's gnash teeth and wring hands and cry poor over similar amounts of money for players with vastly higher upside. What did Sano sign for again? What did Chapman sign for? If $4M is a rounding error no one should care about, then why can't the O's lump together a handful of rounding errors and sign a 20-year-old kid from Cuba that throws 102? If $4M doesn't matter, why do the O's always go right to the deadline on draft picks trying to save a few hundred $K? Or why do they risk losing all compensation by playing arb games with a guy like Koji over $2M?

I said an extra $2 mill per year SHOULDN'T stop them from doing ANYTHING they need to do, I didn't say it definitely WOULDN'T. ;) My point may not hold true in their execution of running a business, but I don't think the flaw is in my statement...

I would be completely OK with this deal if it was a 2/6 or even a 2/7 type deal. A 2/11 deal is just WAY too much money. All that being said, I would have rather had Rauch on a 2/6 or 2/7 deal, although I don't know if he'd be interested in coming here.

Why do people even care on a minor contract for a short amount of time?

Its not your money. Its about time we let some dollars flow.

Archived