Tonight game with Duke

Flosman

How about when we aren't playing the #1 team in the country, defending national champion and undefeated, on their home court, one of the most difficult to play on in college sports?

I mean, if the Terps are as mediocre as you are insinuating, we should be getting blown off the court.

Duke won with their D game. Duke loses to most top 25 teams tonight.

Listen, I love the toughness and heart this team shows. It's the little things that kill us(free throw shooting, spurts of slopiness). Those things are correctable and that bodes well for the future but at some point you need to start improving in those areas and ultimately win games. It's January and it's ACC time. Let's stop seeing the same things we saw in November. This team is going to play a lot of close games. If they don't imporve the FT shooting and sloppiness they are going to lose more of them than they win.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how I've been reading the Orioles Hangout since 2002 (since Delono Desheilds was batting 3rd) and I dont' understand the "holier than thou" attitude that some people have on here. Seth Curry shoots like a girl. It's an assessment and a true fact. Just like Jack Cust has a hole in his swing the size of Montana. Wow, that is being too sensitive if you are offended by that. Even the announcer said that he had a slow release and it was tougher for him to get his shots off against more athletic players i.e "Real D1 athletes". Since it is Sunday night you sir get the C'mon Man! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6SLUzNB9z8&feature=related

MD has some talent but one thing I noticed tonight was they have a bunch of role players.

They need another real player to go with Williams. No one else on MD really makes you worry even though they have some guys who can light it up at a given moment..but nothing consistently.

That was the hope for Mosley and to an extent Tucker for a lot of Terps fans but they have always been inconsistent. I'm not sure why people expected it to change this year.

I think eventually Stoglin and Faust become those secondary threats but it isn't happening this year.

I love how I've been reading the Orioles Hangout since 2002 (since Delono Desheilds was batting 3rd) and I dont' understand the "holier than thou" attitude that some people have on here. Seth Curry shoots like a girl. It's an assessment and a true fact. Just like Jack Cust has a hole in his swing the size of Montana. Wow, that is being too sensitive if you are offended by that. Even the announcer said that he had a slow release and it was tougher for him to get his shots off against more athletic players i.e "Real D1 athletes". Since it is Sunday night you sir get the C'mon Man! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6SLUzNB9z8&feature=related

1) If you have been around that long you would no people are going to check your work: DelIno DeShields didn't bat #3 for the Orioles after mid-June of 2001 (right before he was traded).

2) What the hell does "shoot like a girl" even mean?

It means he has a "chest shot". I've been trying to forget the delino middle of the lineup days for years, sorry for being off by a half year. I didn't have to do research because it was hideous and i want to erase if from memory and meant it as a joke. Look we're obviously both Terp fans so we can just agree to disagree. But duke is not the world beater that everyone thinks, and if was not for a very good draw in the acc tournament last year and in the ncaa tournament they would not have won. My point is that cbb is way down, and this years duke team should not even be mentioned as being anything but good in a mediocre era. This duke team would lose by 20 on any given night to duke's 2001 championship team and UMD's 2002 team. My point is "They're not that good."

Really, you aren't sure? You can't figure it out? Pretty obvious to me why people might think that, even if (at least in one case) I would have disagreed.

I'll assume you mean Mosley was the one people thought might step up and be the 2nd option but again I'm not sure why?? What exactly did you or anyone else see the last two years that screamed go to guy?? He's an average athlete(D1 basketball speaking) and a suspect shooter.

If you meant Tucker, LOL. I mean the guy was in Gary's doghouse for 3 years. I know Gary tends to have a tough doghouse to get out of but if he had any go to guy potential he wouldn't have been there for 3 years.

As far as second options go, it's to the point where gary needs to decide that if tucker and mosely aren't going to be that guy then we need to see what stoglin and howard can do. He's let stoglin play recently but howard and mosely are redundant on the floor at the same time. What I don't understand is what is up with mosley. He seems to have taken a step backward. Tucker I can understand because at least we no what to expect from him and that is nothing consistent from night to night. But mosley has some game that should be translating better right now. I thought after that villanova game last year that he would start to step up and knock down some 3's. Needless to say Wake is a must win.

Off-night, clearly impacted by the atmosphere, and Duke's defense.

His shot is normally strong (came into the game hitting 42.5% from 3 on 2.9 attempts per game).

His shot is ugly though..Maybe it goes in but its ugly.

And he was totally out of control. I was happy to see him with the ball in his hands tonight because I assumed he was going to do something stupid. I was surprised by that to be honest.

Pretty much all of Williams' points tonight were a result of dribble penetration and guys doubling off of him or him getting put backs.

I was a little surprised that he wasn't able to generate much just in a one on one back to the basket scenario.

Duke did a poor job of weakside help defense on Williams tonight and he was able to get a lot of wide open dunks/lay ups.

I'll assume you mean Mosley was the one people thought might step up and be the 2nd option but again I'm not sure why?? What exactly did you or anyone else see the last two years that screamed go to guy?? He's an average athlete(D1 basketball speaking) and a suspect shooter.

If you meant Tucker, LOL. I mean the guy was in Gary's doghouse for 3 years. I know Gary tends to have a tough doghouse to get out of but if he had any go to guy potential he wouldn't have been there for 3 years.

That's actually what I meant: I would have disagreed with "people" about them breaking out. And yes, it's Tucker :P

But my main point was that it's easy to figure out why people would think that about these guys. They are college kids. Things change. Players mature. Sometimes they break out early, sometimes late.

It means he has a "chest shot". I've been trying to forget the delino middle of the lineup days for years, sorry for being off by a half year. I didn't have to do research because it was hideous and i want to erase if from memory and meant it as a joke. Look we're obviously both Terp fans so we can just agree to disagree. But duke is not the world beater that everyone thinks, and if was not for a very good draw in the acc tournament last year and in the ncaa tournament they would not have won. My point is that cbb is way down, and this years duke team should not even be mentioned as being anything but good in a mediocre era. This duke team would lose by 20 on any given night to duke's 2001 championship team and UMD's 2002 team. My point is "They're not that good."

I was mostly joking with the DeShields thing :P

But I disagree about this Duke team. They might not be as good as those teams were, but they are damn good. We saw them on a very bad night, though it was partially caused by our defensive play.

I wouldn't be surprised if they blow out most everyone between now and the game at Comcast. That's partly due to a down stretch in the conference, but also because they are that good.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go light myself on fire.

I'm starting to get a little worried to be honest. 10-5 isn't exactly a great record, and we have zero quality wins. The key loss I feel was against Boston College. I watched that game and Cliff Tucker make your foul shots and we win that! Stoglin had a key miss from the line as well. 11-4 and 1-1 in the ACC is a lot better than 10-5 (0-2). The next six games are going to be critical.

at Wake Forest

at #7 Villanova

vs. Virginia Tech

vs. Clemson

at Virginia

at Georgia Tech

5-1 would be great, or 4-2 with a win against Villanova. Again, a lack of quality wins really hurts. That's why I always stress early season tests, a win against Illinois, Pitt, or even Temple would've helped a lot.

Archived