Sunday MiLB Recaps

weams

Norfolk Tides

Four Tides hurlers combined to limit Durham to a single run, but a quintet of Bulls pitchers did one better as the Bulls blanked the Tides 1-0 Saturday night at Harbor Park.

The Bulls plated the only run of the contest in the sixth frame against Vidal Nuño (0-1), courtesy of a Tides defensive lapse. With one out and Willy Adames on first, Kean Wong flared a soft line drive down the left field line for a double to put runners on second and third. Johnny Field then hit a grounder that third baseman Drew Dosch could not handle, allowing Adames to score the only run the Bulls would need.

The five Bulls pitchers combined to strike out 14 Tides, surrendering six singles while issuing just two walks. Starter Brent Honeywell (2-2) earned the win - striking out eight over 5.1 innings of work - while Ryan Garton earned the save by striking out the side in the ninth inning.

Norfolk starter Steve Johnson struck out three over three scoreless innings, while Nuño took the tough-luck loss after yielding one run and striking out four over 3.1 innings of relief.

David Washington was the only Tide to register a multi-hit game, as he finished 2-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to eight games. Washington has hit .387 (12-31) with two home runs and six RBI over that stretch, which is tied for the longest by a Tides player this season.

Adam Pohl

David Hess was firmly in control throughout, striking out five in six innings of shutout baseball as the Baysox defeated Richmond 5-0 on Saturday evening at The Diamond.

The shutout victory was the first for the Baysox this season. Hess did not allow a runner into scoring position with fewer than two outs in the impressive effort. He has now allowed three earned runs or less in five of six appearances. Jesus Liranzo was solid with two hitless innings and Garrett Cleavinger closed out the game with a scoreless ninth inning.

The Baysox broke through offensively in the top of the fourth inning. Aderlin Rodriguez ended a stretch of 22 homerless games with a deep drive to left field. The solo shot was his fifth home run of the year. Later in the inning, a clutch two-out RBI-single from Erick Salcedo gave Bowie a 2-0 lead.

In the fifth inning, the Baysox blew the game open. After Tucker Nathans registered the second of his four singles on the night, Adrian Marin doubled over the left fielder's head. Nathan raced around to score to up the advantage to 3-0. After a run scored on an errant throw to the plate later in the inning, Garabez Rosa finished the scoring with an RBI-double to right to lead 5-0.

Geoff Arnold
Cristian Alvarado and Reid Love combined on nine shutout innings of five-
hit baseball as the Frederick Keys (16-14) topped the Carolina Mudcats (12-17) 1-0 on Saturday
night at Five County Stadium. It was the Keys second shutout win of the year.

Love (1-0) earned his first Carolina League victory, tossing five shutout innings of three-hit
baseball. He struck out four and did not walk a batter. The longest appearance by a Keys reliever
in 2017, the southpaw stranded the tying and go-ahead runs on base in the seventh, while
working around baserunners in the sixth and eighth innings.

Throwing on short rest, Alvarado started and threw four scoreless innings while facing only one
batter over the minimum. He threw 48 pitches (38 strikes).

Fredericks lone run of the game came in the fifth inning. With one out, Steve Laurino hit an
opposite field homer to right off Cody Ponce, accounting for the only run of the game. The Keys
first baseman was the only hitter on either side to record a multi-hit game (2-for-3).

For the third straight outing against the Keys, Ponce (2-3) completed seven innings, but suffered
the loss. Outside of the home run, Ponce scattered four hits, walked one and struck out eight.
Quintin Torres-Costa and Nate Griep each worked a scoreless inning in relief.

With the victory, the Keys have taken five of the last seven meetings with Carolina.

Will DeBoer
Down to their final outs after eight silent innings, the Delmarva Shorebirds woke up for a stunning comeback in the top of the ninth, scoring four runs to beat the Charleston RiverDogs 4-3 in front of 6,161 shocked fans at Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park on Saturday night.

The Shorebirds (14-15) trailed 3-0 after eight and had managed just one hit off starter Nick Green, an Alejandro Juvier single in the third. Rather than send Green out for the final inning, the RiverDogs (14-16) elected to go to the bullpen - which had posted a 1.99 ERA on the season - bringing in Garrett Mundell.

Frank Crinella greeted the right-hander with a scorching ground-rule double that got caught in the scoreboard netting in left field. Crinella moved up to third base on a passed ball, which served as ball four to Juiver at the plate. Ryan McKenna then served a bloop single into right field, chasing home Crinella to make it 3-1. Jake Ring followed with a line drive double to the right field corner, scoring both Juvier and McKenna to tie the game.

Ring advanced to third base on a Chris Clare groundout to second. Charleston then went back to the ‘pen, bringing in lefty Trevor Lane to face Collin Woody. Woody swung at the first pitch he saw and lined one softly into center, scoring Ring to make it 4-3.

Jake Bray got loose quickly to come on for the ninth and promptly retired the first two batters he faced. The RiverDogs then staged their own rally as Isiah Gilliam doubled to right. He then advanced to third on a wild pitch to put the tying run 90 feet from the plate. Bray would settle down, though, and induced Diego Castillo to pop up to the middle of the infield. Woody from first base squeezed the ball with two hands for the 27th out and an unlikely win.

Cody Dube (1-0) earned the win in relief for the Shorebirds with two perfect innings. Mundell (0-1) took the loss after allowing four runs on three hits and a walk in just a third of an inning. Bray’s save was his fourth of the season, good for third in the SAL.

After three quick scoreless innings, the RiverDogs first broke through in the bottom of the fourth. Hoy Jun Park singled to lead off the inning and stole his way to both second and third. After a groundout, Brandon Wagner lifted a line drive over the drawn-in infield for a single to score Park and make it 1-0.

Charleston tacked on two in the sixth. Blake Rutherford led off with a single, and Park laced a double to right to put the runners on second and third. Back-to-back groundouts by Donny Sands and Wagner brought both men home, and the RiverDogs had their 3-0 lead.

Park finished 3-for-4 at the plate with a double, two runs, and two stolen bases, while Gilliam went 2-for-4.

Archived