2024 Prospect Power Rankings

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

@Tony-OH Where would Stowers land on the list?  Proximity and performance should help his case.  Top 10 even if the ceiling isn't a 60 FV?  Ahead of Beavers?  After Johnson?

He would have been before Beavers and after Ortiz. So basically he's 5th or 6th now if he was eligible.

On 3/29/2024 at 8:43 PM, Tony-OH said:

Players starting off in extended spring training or in the DSL are not eligible until they play a game in June. (Updated as of Mar 29th) 

ABN (A+)  

Tony, you might have missed this, but the FCL is beginning and ending one month earlier this year.  Opening day is May 4, season wraps up July 25.   DSL however is unchanged from last year.  

I believe they changed it to avoid having the July draft class flooding the Complex Leagues and disrupting the players already there.  It also leaves more time for FCL graduates to get a little time in Class A ball if they’ve earned it.  And, I suppose the weather is much more tolerable in May compared to August.  

Edited by Frobby

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tony, you might have missed this, but the FCL is beginning and ending one month earlier this year.  Opening day is May 4, season wraps up July 25.   DSL however is unchanged from last year.  

I believe they changed it to avoid having the July draft class flooding the Complex Leagues and disrupting the players already there.  It also leaves more time for FCL graduates to get a little time in Class A ball if they’ve earned it.  And, I suppose the weather is much more tolerable in May compared to August.  

I do recall something like that but thanks for the reminder. I hate to see that season end so early though. I wished they would have just extended the league to start earlier.

MLB Pipeline blog predicting when top prospects will get called up.  Eleven prospects cited, and three are O’s.

Jackson Holliday, SS/2B, Orioles (No. 1/MLB No. 1)
ETA: April 26
Callis: "He’s too good. He’s going to tear up Triple-A and continue to play like he has, and the Orioles are eventually going to come to their senses and say, ‘Our team’s better if Jackson Holliday’s in our lineup.’ And I don’t think it will take much more than three weeks to figure that out.”
Mayo: Over
“Yeah, I was thinking more beginning of May, middle of May sometime. If they continue to win games, they’re not going to feel like they need to bring him up for no reason. Let him get some wind in his sails when they do call him up. I don’t think it’s going to be much longer than that, but I just see it as another week or two after.”

Coby Mayo, 3B, Orioles (No. 3/MLB No. 29)
ETA: Sept. 2
Mayo: “They’re so stacked, it’s going to come down to when there’s a need. I’m going to say Heston Kjerstad first -- a little more advanced, more time at the upper levels.”
Callis: Under
“I know Holliday’s eventually going to be in this lineup, but they’ve got Ryan O’Hearn at first base. If somebody gets hurt, I could see Mayo getting the opportunity before then.”

Heston Kjerstad, OF, Orioles (No. 4/MLB No. 31)
ETA: May 20
Mayo: “He’s a little more advanced and has more time at the upper levels.”
Callis: Over
“I think Kjerstad is ready, but they already have Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins, Anthony Santander and Colton Cowser in the outfield. It’s tough because Cowser is a guy who already isn’t getting many at-bats because of too many outfielders.”

Edited by Say O!

On 4/1/2024 at 1:37 PM, Frobby said:

I was not aware of that.  What's the reasoning behind it?  With the now later draft also it pretty much erases guys getting any meaningful time in the FCL after their draft year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

How about Wandisson Charles?

Have to watch him more this season to see if he's done anything different. Great arm, very little command and gets hit harder than a guy who can touch 100 should. I pay attention to him though to see if there's anything different this season due to the arm strength.

Brnovich with an impressive first start last night. He always had great breaking stuff, just limited by his velocity. Was throwing as hard as 96 last night. If he sustains that he’s definitely put himself on the prospect map. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Brnovich with an impressive first start last night. He always had great breaking stuff, just limited by his velocity. Was throwing as hard as 96 last night. If he sustains that he’s definitely put himself on the prospect map. 

I'll have to see if he had a jump in stuff. I've never been impressed with his stuff but I always check guys out in a new year to see if their offseason work allowed them to improve.

It feels like we're about to have a lot of interesting arms to follow. I feel like we'll have some join the team this year, but will start to have a pretty stead feed, at least of good bullpen arms, starting next year.