5/16 Notes

weams

Ian Locke

Mike Wright turned in seven strong innings, but three Gwinnett pitchers combined to hold Norfolk to three hits in a 5-0 win over the Tides Tuesday night at Harbor Park.

The Braves jumped out to a quick lead in the contest, as Ozzie Albies – the top rated prospect in the Atlanta system – lined the second pitch of the game into the right field bullpen for his second homer of the season. The homer was the start of a big night for Albies, as the 20-year-old second baseman finished with three hits, two walks, two RBI, a stolen base and three runs scored.

Wright (2-4) settled down after the leadoff homer, retiring 15 of the next 17 batters he faced before yielding a run on a two-out single by Lane Adams in the sixth frame. Wright ended his night allowing just five hits over a season-high 7.0 innings of work, striking out six and walking four while throwing 62 of his 100 pitches for strikes.

Over his first three starts in May, Wright has now gone 2-1 with a 2.41 ERA (5 ER, 18.2 IP), 15 strikeouts and five walks.

Johnny Giavotella singled twice and walked to lead Norfolk’s offense, while Michael Bourn added a single in four at-bats. The shutout loss was the fourth of the season for the Tides, who have tied their season-high with four consecutive setbacks.

Aaron Blair (2-2) earned the win with five shutout innings, while Andrew Albers and David Peterson yielded just one hit over four innings of relief to give the Braves their third straight victory.

Adam Pohl

The Baysox took an early five-run lead and hung on late to defeat Harrisburg 6-4 in the series opener on Tuesday night.

The lead was immediate as the first five Baysox batters of the game reached in a three-run rally. Adrian Marin singled, DJ Stewart was hit by a pitch and Austin Wynns doubled home the game’s first run. With runners at second and third, Garabez Rosa got the first of three hits on the night with a single to plate two more and Bowie led 3-0.

The lead was 5-0 into the fourth inning when Harrisburg battled back. Baysox starter John Means had not allowed a hit through three innings when an error started the inning. The next four batters would get hits and the Baysox saw their lead trimmed to 5-4.

But Bowie’s pen hung on. Tim Berry worked two scoreless getting out of a jam in the seventh inning. Jesus Liranzo worked a 27-pitch eighth inning stranding two in a scoreless frame. And Lucas Long came on for his first career save. He struck out Neftali Soto to end the game with runners at second and third.

Geoff Arnold

The Frederick Keys (20-18) batted around in the first, scoring six times en route to a 9-4 victory over the Salem Red Sox (24-14) on Tuesday night at Haley Toyota Field. It was Frederick’s fourth straight win over the first place Red Sox, who suffered back-to-back losses for the first time since April 23, when the Keys swept both ends of a doubleheader.

After going four straight games without a home run, Frederick changed things in the top of the first against Shaun Anderson. Making his Carolina League debut, the right-hander allowed a leadoff single to Stevie Wilkerson, who moved to second on an error by Mike Meyers in left. From there, Austin Hays and Ryan Mountcastle hit back-to-back homers on consecutive pitches. It marked the first time the Keys had gone back-to-back in a game this season.

Later in the inning, Stuart Levy doubled home Shane Hoelscher, while Levy andAdemar Rifaela scored on a two-run base hit by Steve Laurino. It marked the second time this season the Keys had scored six runs in an inning while it marked the 13th time this year where Frederick had scored four or more runs in a frame.

Salem got one run back in the bottom of the first on an RBI base hit by Josh Ockimey which scored Tate Matheny from second. However the Sox would not get another run off Keys starter Keegan Akin. Coming off a career-high 7.1 innings against Down East, the southpaw earned the win, tossing six innings of one-run baseball on six hits. Akin (3-3) walked three and struck out five to post his second straight quality start.

Neither side scored again until the last two innings. Following a double by Rifaela, Laurino crushed a two-run homer over the centerfield fence. Going 2-for-4 on the night, the former Marist product recorded a season-high four RBIs.

Salem challenged in the ninth, scoring three times thanks to four straight singles and a double by Trenton Kemp, but Luis Gonzalez retired two of the three he faced to end the game.

Anderson (0-1) suffered the loss, giving up seven runs on 10 hits in six innings.  

Will Deboer

Jake Ring socked a walk-off two-out two-run double to right center and the Delmarva Shorebirds staged a dramatic comeback to beat the Greenville Drive, winning 6-5 on Tuesday afternoon in front of nearly 4,000 schoolchildren at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.

With the Shorebirds (16-21) down 5-4 in the ninth against top SAL closer Stephen Nogosek, Frank Crinella took a pitch off his left sleeve, putting him on base with one out. Alejandro Juvier then drew a walk to put two on, and Ryan McKenna pinch-ran at first. A deep flyout to left from Cole Billingsley sent Crinella to third. Up came Ring, who came into the game hitting .417 (7-17) in two-out, RISP chances.

Nogosek got ahead in the count 0-2, but Ring cracked a liner to the gap in right center, taking two hops to the wall. Crinella scored and McKenna, who took off running on the pitch, followed right behind him. Ring raised his arms in triumph on second base as his teammates came swarming out of the dugout to mob him in Delmarva's second walk-off win of the season.

Ring finished the day 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles and three RBIs. The reigning Orioles Minor Leaguer of the Month now has a SAL-best 15 doubles on the season and ranks second in the league with 30 RBIs.

Jake Bray (1-0) earned the win in relief for the Shorebirds with a perfect ninth inning. Nogosek (1-1) took the loss after his second blown save in 11 chances for the Drive (24-13), giving up the pair of runs in 1.2 innings.

Greenville jumped ahead in the top of the third inning. Yoan Aybar led off with a double, then three batters later Santago Espinal dropped a bloop single into right center, chasing home Aybar to make it 1-0.

Tyler Hill led off the fourth with a single and promptly stole his way to second and third. Jerry Downs then singled to center to plate Hill, making it 2-0 Drive.

In the fifth, Lorenzo Cedrola singled to lead off and scored on an Espinal double. Espinal later scored on a Hill base hit, and Greenville had a 4-0 lead. The Shorebirds had not come back from a four-run deficit to win all season.

Delmarva wasted no time getting back into it, though. Collin Woody singled to lead off the fifth, then after a pair of air outs, Jerry McClanahan worked out an eight-pitch walk to put two on. Crinella rocked a triple to deep center, scoring both runs and cutting the deficit to 4-2.

Billingsley led off the sixth with a triple of his own to the right field corner, and Ring's first double of the ballgame to left plated him. Chris Clare hit a single to right field to advance Ring to third, and Woody's deep sac fly to the track in right allowed Ring to score with ease, tying the game at 4-4.

The Drive countered to take the lead in the next half inning, going up 5-4 on back-to-back two-out doubles by Ryan Scott and Hill.

The Shorebirds got the tying run to third and the go-ahead run to first in their half of the seventh, but Ring rolled out to short to end the threat, setting himself up for redemption in the last of the ninth.

Crinella stretched his hitting streak to six games (8-22), going 2-for-3 with a triple, run, and two RBIs. In his past six, he's upped his batting average from .128 to .213.

Hill finished 3-for-4 with a double, run, two RBIs, and two stolen bases to lead the Drive. He went 9-for-15 with eight RBIs in the three games he played in the series.

Neither starter factored into the decision. Delmarva's Lucas Humpal lasted five innings, allowing four runs on eight hits while walking one and striking out a season-high 10. In the spot start for Greenville, Kyle Hart allowed two runs on two hits in five innings, retiring the first 12 men he faced.

Archived