Matt Lindstrom Signs with White Sox

weams

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Isn't there an advanced metric that measures the spin on the ball coming out of a pitcher's hand vs. the spin as the batted ball rockets past one's head?
    • I happened upon a quote (and I failed to find it for @Frobby sometime ago but the quote was something along the lines that he grew up playing 2B and felt most comfortable there and that he still considers himself a good 2B despite having played SS the last few years. I believe that quote was taken from him prior to him being drafted but again, I had to stop citing it because I can't find it. 
    • Dean Kremer in 2023 had 8.183 K per 9 innings.  His 2023 number is the 8th best K/9 inning for qualified pitchers in Orioles history.  Kyle Bradish had 8.964 K/9 which was good for 3rd best in Orioles history. 
    • I have stated that I believe that he will improve. 100% I think he will improve but I also do not believe that he is ever going to be the best defensive option at the position and on a team like the O's who have gone out of their way to prioritize defense up the middle, I just don't see him being the guy there unless they give him the Manny treatment at the end of his tenure with the O's and potentially market him to other teams as a SS for trade value. Eventually I think they can they stick him there if they absolutely have to do so and he won't butcher the position but he's not going to be a good defender. That's my feeling. Perhaps they eventually can live with the subpar D there if it increases his trade value when the time comes. Maybe he will shock me and improve enough to be good there. I doubt it...although David Eckstein had a long career as a SS in the majors despite MAJOR physical limitations and generally poor defense as a SS.. and he was not half the offensive player that JH is going to grow into. 
    • I don’t think this discussions matters for what the team does this year.  In the NFL, elite tackle prospects get drafted and play guard their first year.    Zero about this conversation has to do with 2024, deal the first half of the season.
    • They believe he could play SS if that’s what the team needed him to do.  But it appears that’s not what the O’s think is best for the team now, and it’s likely he’ll be at 2B a long time if that’s where he gets most of his reps this year.   This really isn’t very different than when Manny came up.  He was drafted as a SS, played almost nothing but SS in the minors, but the opening was at 3B because the O’s had a very good defensive SS.   So he played 3B, excelled there, and when he tried moving back to SS 5-6 years later, he wasn’t all that good there and moved back to 3B.   It wasn’t because the evaluators were wrong about Manny when he was drafted.   It’s just how his career developed.     
  • Popular Contributors