Happy Birthday, "Fruit Loops" Tettleton

OFFNY

o

I remember Tettelton toiling away as the catcher for the Orioles, who started the season with an all-time American League record 21 straight losses, and finished with a record of 54-107 with one rain-out.

Tettelton clouts 26 home runs in only 117 games, as the 1989 Orioles have an amazing turnaround from the previous season. The Birdies go 87-75, and don't get eliminated from the division title until the next-to-the-last day of the season at Toronto's brand-new SkyDome.

The Orioles' power-hitting catcher becomes known for eating Fruit Loops, after being asked by a reporter what he eats for breakfast.

Although Tettleton (as an individual) and the Orioles (as a team) both have a decline from the amazing 1989 season, Mickey swats a 2-run home run in the top of the 8th inning against the Yankees to break a 2-2 tie on June 3rd. The home run turns out to be the game-winner, as the Orioles hang on to win by a score of 4-3 (and YES, I do remember that specific game, which is why I am noting it.)

Tettleton gets traded to the Detroit Tigers for Jeff Robinson.

o

One of my favorite players, very quiet stance, bat laid still on shoulders, then explosives ...... he hit home runs often, and walks too.

A truly underrated offensive machine.

o

Thanks for the plug.

Archived