The collective-bargaining agreement did not expire on Dec. 1, 2016 (Updated)

weams

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree that there's no sense rocking the boat. Revenues are growing, profits are growing, salaries are growing. The current union head is more of a lover than a fighter. Minor changes only, done well before the agreement expires.

Have to agree that there's no sense rocking the boat. Revenues are growing, profits are growing, salaries are growing. The current union head is more of a lover than a fighter. Minor changes only, done well before the agreement expires.
Good info. Thanks. I do know that you have experience with these issues.

To me the only question is if the owners get their international draft.

Of course I don't see how the Players' Union has any control over the draft but that didn't stop them last time.

They always trade issues to get what they think they want. Usually things that apply to non-union members for things that do.

Good info. Thanks. I do know that you have experience with these issues.

Honestly, I don't really have any experience with these issues. Though the head of the NFLPA and its Chief Operating Officer are both former partners of mine.

One issue I'd love to see the MLBPA take up is the ridiculously low pay of minor leaguers who aren't on the 40-man roster. It really wouldn't cost much to pay these guys a reasonable wage.

Honestly, I don't really have any experience with these issues. Though the head of the NFLPA and its Chief Operating Officer are both former partners of mine.

One issue I'd love to see the MLBPA take up is the ridiculously low pay of minor leaguers who aren't on the 40-man roster. It really wouldn't cost much to pay these guys a reasonable wage.

I have wanted the MLBPA to become the PBPA (Professional Baseball Players Association) for years, but it would take a big change of heart for the major leaguers to support that. Of course, the owners would fight it, but I think it's a fight worth starting.

I have wanted the MLBPA to become the PBPA (Professional Baseball Players Association) for years, but it would take a big change of heart for the major leaguers to support that. Of course, the owners would fight it, but I think it's a fight worth starting.

They'd immediately quadruple or quintuple their active membership, for whatever that's worth. Although it would be filling the ranks with guys with wildly different points of view than you have when your currently lowest-paid member makes $500k.

They'd immediately quadruple or quintuple their active membership, for whatever that's worth. Although it would be filling the ranks with guys with wildly different points of view than you have when your currently lowest-paid member makes $500k.

It would bring up an interesting problem. As I understand it, minor league players who are not on the 40-man roster are paid by the minor league team, with funds provided by their affiliated major league team. It's a bit of a charade, as the major league organizations determine the players' employment. If all minor league players were in the union, would the owners of the minor league teams have a place at the bargaining table? Seems to me that major league owners would never allow that.

It would bring up an interesting problem. As I understand it, minor league players who are not on the 40-man roster are paid by the minor league team, with funds provided by their affiliated major league team. It's a bit of a charade, as the major league organizations determine the players' employment. If all minor league players were in the union, would the owners of the minor league teams have a place at the bargaining table? Seems to me that major league owners would never allow that.

No, I don't think the minor league owners will ever have a place. The minor leagues totally sold out 75 years ago or more. They agreed that they don't have to do work to acquire players and try to win, accepting that their whole league/championship/integrity of competition thing is a charade, and MLB agreed to fund them at some semi-stable level. Minor league owners know they need to get down on one knee and kiss the ring or they'll have to work to field a real team and make money.

Archived