A DD move: Bourn or Swisher?

Crazysilver03

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/braves-trying-to-deal-at-least-one-of-michael-bourn-nick-swisher.html

Given how aggressive Atlanta has already been on the trade market this winter, it?s no surprise that the rebuilding club is exploring getting at least some of the money owed to those two veterans off the team?s books. Swisher is owed $15MM in 2016 and he has a $14MM vesting option for 2017 that will be guaranteed if he makes 550 plate appearances next season and passes an end-of-year physical. Bourn is owed $14MM in 2016 with a $12MM vesting option for 2017 that also becomes guaranteed at the 550-PA plateau. Of the $29MM owed to the duo in 2016, however, $10MM will be covered by the Indians as part of the trade that brought both men to Atlanta in exchange for Chris Johnson last August.
Between the injuries and struggles at the plate, Bourn (0.4 fWAR in 2014-15) and Swisher (-2.3 fWAR) are far from sterling trade candidates. It?s not completely out of the question, however, that the Braves could find a trade partner since they?re willing to eat some money. If the Braves are willing to pay as much as half of either player?s salary, and assuming Cleveland?s $10MM contribution is being split equally, Swisher and Bourn now cost in the neighborhood of $5MM and $4.5MM, respectively, for 2016. Those could be palatable prices for clubs looking for experienced veterans in backup roles, especially if there?s a team that believes Bourn or Swisher could rebound in a new environment

Now I am not suggesting this as something I want to see happen. Obviously Bourn is the more "attractive" of the two. I would think Atlanta wouldn't want much in return to get out from $5M of their salaries. Perhaps a trade of an out of options guy. Doubt either ends up being an improvement over the random outfielders we have now but names!

As much as I dislike Swisher, he has some bounce back potential. But I'd rather resign Pearce. We can do better then give up something for a retread. Swisher would have to be damn near free.

Bourn is worse then our AAA options at equal money. Hoes or even Avery are better 4th OF options.

As much as I dislike Swisher, he has some bounce back potential. But I'd rather resign Pearce. We can do better then give up something for a retread. Swisher would have to be damn near free.

Bourn is worse then our AAA options at equal money. Hoes or even Avery are better 4th OF options.

I agree with resigning Pearce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I thought this had to be a slight exaggeration, but, no he really did have a .592 OPS last year. And his defensive metrics really have fallen off 25 runs over the last three years. And he really, no kidding, had a way worse ISO than Nick Markakis. I think he's a cautionary tale when considering signing a 30-year-old with no power and off-the-charts defensive metrics but a 6-win season in a walk year.

So I thought this had to be a slight exaggeration, but, no he really did have a .592 OPS last year. And his defensive metrics really have fallen off 25 runs over the last three years. And he really, no kidding, had a way worse ISO than Nick Markakis. I think he's a cautionary tale when considering signing a 30-year-old with no power and off-the-charts defensive metrics but a 6-win season in a walk year.

Yes he has really been poor.

It may be a slight exaggeration...but only because Borne might bounce back a bit. MIGHT

I wouldn't risk giving him a roster spot at this point. MiL deal, sure, but the Braves owe him money so he is going to stay right where he is.

Archived