Gallardo - Roch: deal is DONE (signed)

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: O's will not finish the Yovani Gallardo deal if they come to believe a breakdown is likely in the middle of the 3-year contract.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="
">February 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kiss it goodbye.

Well, two outcomes. Gallardo signs here and breaks down in 2017 sometime. Or this falls through, he goes somewhere else, learns a new pitch and goes 15-8, logs a lot of innings and resurrects his career.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kiss it goodbye.

Well, two outcomes. Gallardo signs here and breaks down in 2017 sometime. Or this falls through, he goes somewhere else, learns a new pitch and goes 15-8, logs a lot of innings and resurrects his career.

That's kind of what he did last year. Started throwing his 2 seamer/sinker more. Got more groundball outs but less strikeouts. Had a really good year. But less strikeouts means he's done in some people's eyes. They may be right. But the guy has never had an arm injury and I'm sure some wear and tear showing up is normal.

I'm not saying the Orioles are wrong. But this is why it's important to develop SP. Veteran pitchers are going to have wear and tear on their arms.

When it comes to arm injuries, it's Russian roulette. We probably wouldn't be signing Gallardo if it weren't for the injuries sustained by Bundy and Harvey, who aren't veterans and yet apparently had wear and tear on their arms. Of course, if we hadn't traded EdRod and Davies, we might not have signed Gallardo, either.

When it comes to arm injuries, it's Russian roulette. We probably wouldn't be signing Gallardo if it weren't for the injuries sustained by Bundy and Harvey, who aren't veterans and yet apparently had wear and tear on their arms. Of course, if we hadn't traded EdRod and Davies, we might not have signed Gallardo, either.

Good points. I thought they linked Bundys issues to his workout regiment? I could be wrong. Some issues in young people are genetic issues. Like you said, it's like Russian roulette.

Lee is retiring, according to Rosenthal.

I'm hitching my wagon to Sir_Loin at this point. He says the media is making too much of the additional tests on Gallardo and the deal will go through. He's been ahead of the media on several points now (including the terms for both Gallardo and Fowler) so I'm going down with his ship!

I'm hitching my wagon to Sir_Loin at this point. He says the media is making too much of the additional tests on Gallardo and the deal will go through. He's been ahead of the media on several points now (including the terms for both Gallardo and Fowler) so I'm going down with his ship!

So far, the man has been very knowledgeable and more importantly correct.

I think the announcement of Fowler, showed that they wasnt too concerned over Gallardo. Since they didnt want to give up #14 pick for a COF.

I think Lee will pull a Clemens. Get healthier, stay in shape, and wait for a desperate contender come june/july.

That's kind of what he did last year. Started throwing his 2 seamer/sinker more. Got more groundball outs but less strikeouts. Had a really good year. But less strikeouts means he's done in some people's eyes. They may be right. But the guy has never had an arm injury and I'm sure some wear and tear showing up is normal.

I leave it to the team doctors to decide what is "normal" wear and tear and what creates a serious risk of the player missing time or losing effectiveness. The fact that Gallardo has never had an arm injury means almost nothing to me. Back when we were considering Bronson Arroyo, he had pitched 199+ innings nine years in a row. His reliability was his big selling point. Then he threw 86 innings for $23.5 mm and needed TJ surgery.

I leave it to the team doctors to decide what is "normal" wear and tear and what creates a serious risk of the player missing time or losing effectiveness. The fact that Gallardo has never had an arm injury means almost nothing to me. Back when we were considering Bronson Arroyo, he had pitched 199+ innings nine years in a row. His reliability was his big selling point. Then he threw 86 innings for $23.5 mm and needed TJ surgery.

I agree!

So far, the Oriole doctors have made the right call, so it doesn't seam right to throw stones at them, now, again, just IMO

I think the announcement of Fowler, showed that they wasnt too concerned over Gallardo. Since they didnt want to give up #14 pick for a COF.

I don't think the O's were too concerned over what position they lose the pick over. They wanted both players. If the 14 was lost on Gallardo and the 29 lost on Fowler they were fine. If they lose the 14 on Fowler and fail Gallardo and keep the 29, I think they are fine with that too. One question, can the #29 pick be traded?

Well, Roch reported one week ago today that they had shifted course and were comfortable giving up the pick for just Fowler, regardless of Gallardo's results.

Archived