Manfred: If MiLB Players Get Raise, Teams will Be Folded

weams

Those same minor leaguers make it possible for the "stars" to actually be seasoned and make their way up the ladder. Without them, they'd be heaping messes in the majors.

I mean, minor league baseball isn't as bad as college sports. College sports is the biggest joke in sports. Either pay the players or don't allow the colleges to make money off of them.

College sports is like playing for the Soviets. You do it for the love of your country/school while they make $ off you. Unlike the Soviets, you at least get free education out of it, and if the program is clean; then you actually know a thing or two coming out of college

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had three of my players play in the unaffiliated minors. They stay with host families and barely get enough money to eat. They may get a disinterested scout or two to every tenth game. But, the dream dies hard. MLB takes advantage of all those that won't give up the dream with the ridiculous salary structure of the minors. The reward at the end of the rainbow is so vast, there is no shortage of players and never will be.

And sometimes the reality has to die hard. If you are drafted in the first 5 rounds as HS player, go to college and play (you keep your dream alive and get an education). But once you get to your 20s and you aren't a in the 1st 5 rounds, you should know it's not gonna happen. But if you are drafted in the 1st 10 rounds, you have money to live on to live out your dream for a few years just don't expect it to be a career.

College sports is like playing for the Soviets. You do it for the love of your country/school while they make $ off you. Unlike the Soviets, you at least get free education out of it, and if the program is clean; then you actually know a thing or two coming out of college

Well, the education part of it is largely ornamental. Most of these programs aren't clean (at least the ones that take place where the college is making money in such a way that their coaches make millions...).

The problem is it's essentially slave labour for the school, while they make millions. They practice often, miss class, usually have to work a job to pay their way (aside from the crooked money flowing behind the scenes). At least get rid of the some of the obvious NCAA infractions by ensuring these kids have some money to support themselves.

And sometimes the reality has to die hard. If you are drafted in the first 5 rounds as HS player, go to college and play (you keep your dream alive and get an education). But once you get to your 20s and you aren't a in the 1st 5 rounds, you should know it's not gonna happen. But if you are drafted in the 1st 10 rounds, you have money to live on to live out your dream for a few years just don't expect it to be a career.

It's a billion dollar industry getting away with slave labour while the bonus babies, organizations and major leaguers make all the loot.

Well, the education part of it is largely ornamental. Most of these programs aren't clean (at least the ones that take place where the college is making money in such a way that their coaches make millions...).

The problem is it's essentially slave labour for the school, while they make millions. They practice often, miss class, usually have to work a job to pay their way (aside from the crooked money flowing behind the scenes). At least get rid of the some of the obvious NCAA infractions by ensuring these kids have some money to support themselves.

Colleges like Miami (FL) and Alabama make their kids go to class and at least get C's, but I get your point. The NCAA is stocked with more crooks than the Chinese government. They do need to allow students to get more $, but there do need to be rules on how much the students can get from the school as well, as surviving on ramen noodles and playing football while making a killing for your university and acting as a recruiting tool is BS.

2 baseball players around here were drafted about the same time. One didn't go to college and made it to AA before blowing out his arm and is now selling used cars on the side of the road. The other is locked in a big deal with the Mets (David Wright.) College is a must, and kids do get gifts from the school (Va Tech football players were given plasma TV's one year for winning the Orange Bowl.). The system needs to be reformed, however. That is undeniable

For all of the baseball's profits, for the attempted cost containment of the US draft pool, for all the teams willing to pay multi-$M penalties to sign foreign prospects, for the all the $ to pay posting fees on bigger name foreign players, it is a disgrace that these minor leaguers can't get paid more.

Those same minor leaguers make it possible for the "stars" to actually be seasoned and make their way up the ladder. Without them, they'd be heaping messes in the majors.

I mean, minor league baseball isn't as bad as college sports. College sports is the biggest joke in sports. Either pay the players or don't allow the colleges to make money off of them.

You gotta think of it by age groups. If you are 24 sitting in Sally A (not due to injury) odds are you aren't improving anybody but struggling for your age. It's cases like Andy Tracy who was literally a career minor leaguer that annoy me. 15 years and just a total of 149 games in the majors of that was 83 were in one season with Expos in 2000. He was a filler and teams paid him, include the Orioles farm system and he didn't even get called up to the Orioles in 2006. Think about that for a sec.. that's how much he was viewed as a filler.

Pay college baseball players? I would have liked that when I played. The reality is, baseball in College, it's really on the booster club's radar. Probably the one of the cleanest of College sports.

The bigger issue many are missing here is.. how many draft slots there is and how many minor league teams there are there are really 8 classes. MiLB needs to be realigned. There should be 4 regular season leagues. Rookie, A, AA, AAA.There should be no Short A or Advanced A ball.. just A.

Then there should be 3 Winter ball leagues. Dominican, Venezulean (these two league need to be paid for by MLB and not teams, you will see why in a sec) and Arizona (which feeder should be Rookie to AAA).

Then the MLB draft (in US) should be limited to 7 rounds (last round be a $100,000 signing bonus for last pick). Every player not drafted is a Free Agent. Then MLB needs an international draft of 7 rounds of which players from the Dominican and Venezulean leagues can be drafted at either age 18 or 20 (not drafted Free Agent).

When Cuba is included then a 4 Winter ball league will be expanded for draft purposes.

All international signings outside of the Carribbean will be asigned to interational signing bonuses.

It's a billion dollar industry getting away with slave labour while the bonus babies, organizations and major leaguers make all the loot.

And this is a fallacy.

Billion dollar industry or not.. bonus babies are bonus babies because of talent and where they are drafted. The difference between a 1st rounder and a 10th rounder is investment vs filler.

For all of the baseball's profits, for the attempted cost containment of the US draft pool, for all the teams willing to pay multi-$M penalties to sign foreign prospects, for the all the $ to pay posting fees on bigger name foreign players, it is a disgrace that these minor leaguers can't get paid more.

Which is why an international draft is a MUST.

It is supply and demand. No one is paying big tv contracts to watch minor league players. Major league players have leverage to get the big bucks because they are the best of the best. Just about all of the players in the minors either got a free college education or had the chance to get one. Most of us mere mortals never get that opportunity. They choose to chase the dream. If you are Manny Machado then you don't spend a whole lot of time eating Subway (setting aside his signing bonus).

I'm still paying for mine. It's probably going to make me bounce a check in the next day or two.

Such a joke. You can afford to give major league players $200 million but can't pay minor leaguers federal minimum wage. Bleep off with that.
It appears that many minor league players could qualify for food stamps. Some of them probably do receive food stamps (IBT card, called "Independence Card" in Maryland), but because of the stigma, they won't tell anyone.

Colleges like Miami (FL) and Alabama make their kids go to class and at least get C's, but I get your point. The NCAA is stocked with more crooks than the Chinese government. They do need to allow students to get more $, but there do need to be rules on how much the students can get from the school as well, as surviving on ramen noodles and playing football while making a killing for your university and acting as a recruiting tool is BS.

Im at a loss.

I do not know where to begin. No scholarship player in any college sport eats ramen noodles for every meal - unless they want to? Every player has access to a "FREE" cafeteria for 3 square meals a day.

Also your accusation of accusing Va Tech giving players a big screen tvs as wrong is just freaking stupid.

Every team in a bowl is allowed to give all their players 3-4000 dollars in gifts. You can go to the official Oklahoma football site and see what our players received for their bowl game against Clemson

Some of this money comes from the school but some is subsidized by the bowl

And if you really think Bama and Miami football makes their players go to class and gets C's. My goodness I am just at a loss for words

Well, I don't know what to tell you. It must be wonderful living in your fantasy land

:shrug:

Hy

If you define "many" as the top 3, 4, maybe 5 rounds of a 30+ round draft and none of the undrafted free agents. And "significant" as one-in-30 or 40 get several millions, and 80% or more get less than what many posters here earn in a month or two. What kind of bonus does a 15th round pick get? $4k and a bus ticket to spring training?

In a context where your salary is $1150 - $2500/month, almost any level of bonus could be considered significant. Still, when you consider that the player is bound to his organization for six years, that bonus has to last a long time.

It depends on what you take in school. I suppose if you have a scholarship you don't have the double face-shot of being $40k in debt AND realizing you have an art history or Phys Ed degree that gets you a job at Enterprise Rent-a-Car. That you didn't need a degree for.

Archived