2017 Hall of Fame Vote/Tracker

weams

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably Ivan Rodriguez, even though he's considered a PED user, right?  Looks like Bagwell should be getting the call, finally.  And Raines, so Drungo will be happy.

I'm kinda pissed that Vlad might not make it, I'm not sure how he doesn't on the first ballot.  Especially for someone that was never connected to PED usage.

Here's Ryan Thibbs' tracker:  https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!7731&ithint=file,xlsm&app=Excel&authkey=!AE2Lu5P1f92OW8o

Interesting piece about how Selig's induction helps the candidacy of Bonds and Clemens.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/barry-bonds-and-roger-clemens-are-going-to-be-hall-of-famers-heres-what-it-means-050127788.html

“When Bud was put in two weeks ago, my mindset changed,” Kevin Cooney, a longtime Philadelphia-area writer, said in an email. “If the commissioner of the steroid era was put into the HOF by a secret committee, then I couldn’t in good faith keep those two out any longer.”

For years, Cooney said, he had given priority to the players with clean records, something he admits “may have been silly.” He said he saw a tweet from Susan Slusser, the esteemed San Francisco Chronicle writer, pointing out the hypocrisy of Selig and Tony La Russa – who won championships with juiced players – being in the Hall but the players themselves seemingly blackballed. “The light bulb went off,” Cooney said.

The early results are staggering. Among the 57 public ballots, Bonds and Clemens have 42 votes. That’s 73.6 percent, an enormous jump from last year, when Clemens finished with 45.8 percent of the vote and Bonds with 45.5 percent, far short of the 75 percent necessary for induction.

• 2 weeks later...

35.2% of Estimated number (153/435) are in:

votes	%		Name			+/-	(needed +/- from 2016)

143		93.5	Jeff Bagwell		14		12

139		90.8	Tim Raines		22		20

130		85.0	Ivan Rodriguez		x

118		77.1	Vladimir Guerrero	x

-----

110		71.9	Trevor Hoffman		9		38

108		70.6	Edgar Martinez		26		137

107		69.9	Barry Bonds		19		134

107		69.9	Roger Clemens		20		130

96		62.7	Mike Mussina		11		131

83		54.2	Curt Schilling		-10		98

44		28.8	Manny Ramirez		x

40		26.1	Lee Smith		0		186

40		26.1	Larry Walker		12		257

21		13.7	Fred McGriff		-3		239

19		12.4	Jeff Kent		-2		255

18		11.8	Gary Sheffield		0		277

17		11.1	Sammy Sosa		3		298

17		11.1	Billy Wagner		4		278

-----

7		4.6	Jorge Posada		x

At this point we have a pretty good picture of what's going to happen.  Two players are near locks with enough votes gained already to get them in:  Jeff Bagwell and Tim Raines.  It's not set in stone though cause you never really know with the silent vote.  Ivan Rodriguez looks good right now but I bet he loses in the silent vote; I would not be surprised if Vlad Guerrero finishes ahead of him.  So we're looking at those four.

A number of others made large gains, particularly Edgar Martinez, which bodes very well for him.  I think he gets elected now.  Bonds, Clemens, Mussina and Walker are also showing improvement.  Schilling's rough PR year has probably cost him votes.

Jorge Posada is in trouble of joining Bernie Williams as champion Yankees worth looking at for the HOF, but booted early (Williams in his second year I believe).

If I were to handicap next year right now, I would say Trevor Hoffman joins Chipper Jones (1st ballot) and perhaps Guerrero or I-Rod if they don't make it this time.

12 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

If I were to handicap next year right now, I would say Trevor Hoffman joins Chipper Jones (1st ballot) and perhaps Guerrero or I-Rod if they don't make it this time.

Jim Thome will also be on the ballot next year, right? I think he'll sail in.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think so, not with so much time as a DH.

He might make it, but if it does it will be close.

(Yes I know he has 1100 games at first and 500 at third)

Thome played a lot more games in the field than Frank Thomas did, and his offensive numbers are comparable (if a shade worse). And Thomas got in on the first ballot. I don't think there's any question Thome will get in.

1 minute ago, PaulFolk said:

Thome played a lot more games in the field than Frank Thomas did, and his offensive numbers are comparable (if a shade worse). And Thomas got in on the first ballot. I don't think there's any question Thome will get in.

I think he will and should get in.  I just don't think it will be in year one and with a comfortable margin.

Of course the culled a lot of the old voters so his (and a lot of others) chances are better now.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he will and should get in.  I just don't think it will be in year one and with a comfortable margin.

Of course the culled a lot of the old voters so his (and a lot of others) chances are better now.

I'll be sure to bump this thread in a year! I'll be surprised if he hasn't been inducted.

Archived