Schmuck's ST assessment: O's are in Trouble

wildcard

It all comes down to starting pitching.

Tillman is hurt

Miley is Miley...don't expect much from him

Bundy we're putting a ton of pressure on after overworking him last year to the tune of 110 IP

Ubaldo...well if you're confident in him being good, I've got a bridge to sell you

Gausman has had injury concerns of his own during the years...but he's pretty much our only "sure thing" at this point

That leaves us with: Wright, Wilson, Ynoa, Lee, Verrett, Gunkel. All of these guys are probably AAAA pitchers. Unless Lee starts striking guys out, I also don't have faith in him.

Trading Gallardo was not a wise decision considering the makeup of the roster and lack of any meaningful starting pitching depth.

I think you have to sign one of Doug Fister or Colby Lewis. Not doing so would be irresponsible. 

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Tillman is hurt

Bundy we're putting a ton of pressure on after overworking him last year to the tune of 110 IP

Ubaldo...well if you're confident in him being good, I've got a bridge to sell you

Gausman has had injury concerns of his own during the years...but he's pretty much our only "sure thing" at this point

That leaves us with: Wright, Wilson, Ynoa, Lee, Verrett, Gunkel. All of these guys are probably AAAA pitchers. Unless Lee starts striking guys out, I also don't have faith in him.

Trading Gallardo was not a wise decision considering the makeup of the roster and lack of any meaningful starting pitching depth.

I think you have to sign one of Doug Fister or Colby Lewis. Not doing so would be irresponsible. 

Well said Puck.

11 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Tillman is hurt

When I look at Miley's stats for 2012-2015 I come to a different conclusion.  I'd say 10-10. 4.40 ERA, 30 starts and 200 IP.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When I look at Miley's stats for 2012-2015 I come to a different conclusion.  I'd say 10-10. 4.40 ERA, 30 starts and 200 IP.

I'm not sure why we are all in such a hurry to bury Wade Miley. Most metrics points to him having an unlucky year last year (Hr/FB and BABIP to name two). I don't think he's going back to his sub 3.50 ERA days, but if he can eat innings at sub 4.50, he can be a valuable piece.

Archived