Some Saturday MiLB Game Info

weams

Norfolk

Chance Sisco doubled twice and drove in three, but Charlotte pounded out six home runs in a 15-5 win over the Tides Saturday night at BB&T Ballpark. 

Sisco, the top prospect in the Orioles system according to MLB.com, doubled home a run in the fourth inning before driving home two with a double in the fifth. The hits were the first of the season for the 22-year-old, who led the Eastern League with a .406 on-base percentage for Double-A Bowie in 2016. 

The Knights belted six home runs in the contest, matching a franchise record for most home runs allowed by a Tides opponent. Danny Hayes hit two home runs in the contest, including a third inning grand slam that broke the game open against Norfolk starter Chris Lee (0-1). 

Lee surrendered eight runs on nine hits in 3.1 innings of work. He yielded two home runs in the contest, just the second time in his professional career that he's allowed multiple home runs in an outing. 

Logan Schafer had a single and an RBI in the contest, while Robert Andino added two hits and a run scored. 

by Adam Pohl

Means Stellar in 4-1 Win

Perez Has Four-Hit Game as Baysox Go to 2-0

Baysox starter John Means did not allow a hit until the fifth inning and catcher Audry Perez had a four-hit game as Bowie defeated Akron 4-1 on Saturday afternoon at Canal Park. With the win, Bowie is 2-0 heading into a doubleheader with the RubberDucks Sunday afternoon.

Means set the tone early as he struck out five of the first 11 batters faced. He changed speeds effectively and was paced to a 2-0 lead in the third inning.

In that frame, OF Glynn Davis doubled to leadoff the frame. Cedric Mullins then signled Davis home. Mullins would steal second base and reach third on a wild pitch. With one down, Mullins scored on the second double of the day from Audry Perez. The Baysox were on top 2-0.

Means lone blemish came on a solo home run off of a breaking ball to Yu Chang leading off the fifth inning. Up 2-1 in the sixth, Means closed his day striking out Bobby Bradly looking at a fastball to leave two stranded.

The Baysox got insurance runs in the seventh and ninth innings in the win. Reliever Garrett Cleavinger worked through two tough scoreless innings to preserve the lead. Jesus Liranzo labored in his one inning, walking three batters with two down in the ninth before getting a popout to end the game.

The series continues with a doubleheader Sunday, April 9th at 1:05 p.m. Their will be two seven-inning games as Bowie will have righties David Hess and Lucas Long on the hill.

by Geoff Arnold

SEDLOCK DAZZLES IN CAROLINA LEAGUE DEBUT

O’s 2016 FIRST ROUNDER PITCHES SIX SHUTOUT INNINGS

FREDERICK, MD –The Frederick Keys (1-1) used a fantastic start from 2016 first round pick Cody Sedlock to beat the Carolina Mudcats (1-1) 5-1 on Saturday afternoon at Nymeo Field. Tossing six shutout innings, Sedlock struck out five and allowed only two hits on 84 pitches.

His longest outing as a professional, Sedlock allowed only four runners to reach base and only two advanced to scoring position. This included a run of 10 in-a-row retired following a Max McDowell fielder’s choice in the second.  

Offensively, the Keys picked up where they left off on Friday, posting 13 hits. Second baseman Stevie Wilkerson got the scoring started for the Keys in the third inning, launching a solo home run to left field off of Carolina starter Kodi Medeiros. The leadoff hitter finished the day 2-for-3 with a pair of walks, and is now 4-for-7 on the season with three RBIs.

In the fourth, Frederick used three base hits and a wild pitch to push across two more. With one out, Jomar Reyes scorched a single up the middle. Monrovia, MD native Alex Murphy followed suit with a long single that hit the top of the right field wall, advancing Reyes to third. Stuart Levy continued the hit train with a single up the middle that scored Reyes for the second run of the ballgame. Murphy then scored on a wild pitch to move the lead to 3-0.

The Keys tacked on two more runs in the seventh. Austin Hays hit a broken bat blooper to left that brought Ademar Rifaela home. Wilkerson came across to score when Yermin Mercedes grounded into a double play with the bases loaded, making it 5-0 Keys.

Carolina’s only run came off the bat of Jake Gatewood, who crushed a solo shot to left center off of Keys reliever Mitch Horacek. Right-hander Cory Jones made his 2017 debut, tossing two scoreless innings to secure the 5-1 victory.

Sedlock (1-0) got the win for the Keys while Medeiros (0-1, 5.40 ERA) took the loss for the Mudcats. Working five innings, he allowed three runs on six hits.

by Will Deboer

BIG INNINGS PROPEL SHOREBIRDS TO FIRST WIN
Shaw homer jump-starts five-run thrid, ‘Birds win 10-5

GREENVILLE, SC - The Delmarva Shorebirds batted around twice and cracked double digits on the way to their first win of the season, a 10-5 barnburner over the Greenville Drive on Saturday night at Fluor Field at the West End. 

Ryan McKenna led off the game with a walk and Cole Billingsley took a pitch to the body to put two on. After a strikeout and another hit batsman, Chris Clare shot a low line drive into center. Greenville center fielder Yoan Aybar dove for it but the ball skidded under his glove and all the way to the center field wall. All three runners came around to score on Clare’s bases-clearing triple. Clare himself came home on Collin Woody’s sac fly and the Shorebirds (1-2) went up 4-0, batting around and scoring as many runs in the first inning as they did in the first two games combined.

The Drive (2-1) got almost all of it back in their half of the first, as the first three men reached on a single, hit batsman, and walk. After a pair of strikeouts, Ryan Scott drove a fly ball to center three-quarters of the way up the wall for his own bases-clearing triple to get Greenville within one at 4-3.

Chris Shaw led off the top of the third with a bang, smashing a line drive well over the faux Green Monster in left for the first Delmarva home run of the season. It was a sign of things to come: Clare and Woody each banged singles off the big wall to follow, and Alejandro Juvier singled loaded the bases. Daniel Fajardo knocked a base hit to center to score Clare and make it 6-3.

Jake Ring followed with a bases-loaded walk to force in a run and chase Greenville starter Mike Shawaryn. Reliever Daniel Gonzalez’s night started the same way as he forced in a run with a free pass to McKenna. Billingsley followed with a sac fly to left, making it a five-spot and a 9-3 lead in a frame that saw the ‘Birds send 11 to the plate.

Delmarva got one more run in the fourth as Woody scampered home from third with two outs on a wild pitch.

Greenville chipped away with solitary runs in the seventh and eighth but left more runs on the table each time as Nick Jobst and Zeke McGranahan cleaned up messes on the basepaths. The Drive stranded 12 men on base in the game, leaving men aboard in all nine innings.

Francisco Jimenez (1-0) picked up the win in relief for Delmarva, tossing 3.2 innings of one-run, five-hit ball. Shawaryn (0-1) took the loss for Greenville, getting knocked out after two-plus with nine runs and seven hits against.

Shaw paced the Shorebird attack, going 3-for-4 with a homer, RBI, two runs, and two HBPs. Woody also went 3-for-4 with two runs and an RBI, and Clare finished 2-for-4 with his triple, three driven in, and two runs scored.

All nine Delmarva hitters reached base in the game, racking up 13 hits and reaching on five walks and four hit batsmen.

Scott finished the day 2-for-4 with four RBIs for the Drive, while Bobby Dalbec went 1-for-4 with two runs.

Orioles No. 13 prospect Matthias Dietz made the start for the Shorebirds, giving up three runs on two hits in three innings. He walked three and struck out six on 75 pitches.

The big news of the day was Sedlock pitching six shutout innings, allowing only 2 hits and a walk while striking out 5.    Very encouraging, especially after Akin's disastrous debut.    Dietz was disappointing too.  

Really like these write-ups. Thanks to the folks putting them together. 

In addition to Sedlock looks good, I'm really happy to see Jomar Reyes off to a strong start. Expected a lot of him last season and he struggled with the aggressive promotion. If we get a big year from him, he's back on track and an exciting prospect. 

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Gotta look for the positive on Dietz.  6 strikeouts and just 2 hits.  He's raw and wild but at least the stuff might be as advertised.   Great first start by Sedlock.

I made my remark about Dietz without having checked his final line.    At one point yesterday I checked the game in progress.   The Shorebirds had opened the game with 4 runs in the top of the first, and Dietz immediately had given back 3 runs with only two out in the bottom of the inning.    That's what had disappointed me.   I'm glad he was able to pull himself together after that, albeit only lasting 3 innings.    I'd still call it a disappointing outing, but not necessarily a discouraging one.   

Archived