Tony's pick of the off-season

weams

8 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Thames went yard again.  Number 8.

It honestly would not surprise me if he takes the NL HR crown.

That said, he is a different hitter than when he left for Korea, and this could just be a case where MLB needs to adjust to him.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Over his last 32 games, Thames has a .198 BA, 4 homers and a .724 OPS.     Slump, or is the book out on him now?    My guess is a little of both, but more the latter.    

I hear he is getting tested often. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Over his last 32 games, Thames has a .198 BA, 4 homers and a .724 OPS.     Slump, or is the book out on him now?    My guess is a little of both, but more the latter.    

Banged up too.  I think that may have been part of the problem with him sticking with the Orioles, Buck wants you available every day, physically and mentally.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Peripherals still look pretty good, no significant drop in hard contact, BB%, or K%, but BABIP down 100 points. I didn't expect him to stay Barry Bonds, but he is nowhere near a .724 either.

• 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tumbo since June 6, .220/.275/.403/.678. 

Thames since Jun 6, .214/.304/.444/.747

Both signed 3 yr deals, Trumbo will cost $37.5  million while Thames will cost $16 million. Thames also would have balanced out a very right-handed Orioles lineup.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Tumbo since June 6, .220/.275/.403/.678. 

Thames since Jun 6, .214/.304/.444/.747

Both signed 3 yr deals, Trumbo will cost $37.5  million while Thames will cost $16 million. Thames also would have balanced out a very right-handed Orioles lineup.

I agree Thames is having the better year and is a lot cheaper.    That said, as the fangraphs article points out, he's got some serious issues.    I didn't make my post to defend the Trumbo signing, I just saw the fangraphs piece and remembered this thread.

Archived