My Personal Breakdown Of The Roster Now That Possibility Of Contention Has Vanished

Matt Bennett

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

One small edit: in no way, shape, or form, does Tillman have any positive value to a Major League baseball team. Even less than Joseph. 

Both Beckham and Schoop are "tweeners" who could be part of a retool, but also could be traded as part of a rebuild. Unfortunately, Beckham has not been the same player he was last year and has done nothing to increase his trade value, but it could happen.

Unless theres a plan to either extend schoop past 2019 OR spend heavily on other free agents this offseason, he should definitely be dealt at the trade deadline.

13 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good idea. Please remove Joseph has a potential trade piece. He’s more likely to retire due to lack of interest really soon. 

Like I said, as long as he doesn't hit like he did in 2016, he does have trade value. He hit right around a .700 OPS in 2015/2017 and paired with solid defense , that's a catcher capable of starting on a regular basis.

5 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I agree with most of the OP, but actually believe the O's can be competitive in 2019.

Pitching: Bundy, Cobb, Gausman, Cashner, Harvey

We have some good bullpen pieces and can always pick some up on the cheap, we will have money

Catching-Sisco

Infield-Davis (wish he were gone), Schoop, Beckham, NEED a 3B/SS

Outfield-Mancini, Mullins, Hays, Sandater, Rickard

DH-Trumbo (stuck with him too)

The way I see it; we can be competitive with a good signing of a productive 3B/SS. Maybe not top of the league good, but definitely competitive

But isn't this basically the exact same team that is getting it's brains beat in right now, minus Manny Machado? Whoever we sign to replace Manny will almost certainly be a downgrade overall, so doesn't that make us even worse in 2019 with this group? 

Just now, Matt Bennett said:

Like I said, as long as he doesn't hit like he did in 2016, he does have trade value. He hit right around a .700 OPS in 2015/2017 and paired with solid defense , that's a catcher capable of starting on a regular basis.

It's true that if Joseph turns it around he might fetch a nugget at the deadline.  Gotta get that OPS over 600 though, which is a bit of a hill to climb at this point.  

Great OP.  We're about 4 more losses this week from me giving up all hope, but we'll have plenty of time to hash this all while front offices are working on the draft.  It isn't really the Orioles style to move Schoop 1.5 years out, and I'm in no rush to move him as Bundy's emergence, if it continues through 7/31, gives the 2019 club a possible viable cornerstone.

For all we want to fluff Jones, Brach, etc, it's really only going to be about Machado, and - with some luck - good Britton.

The parlay I'm hoping for is Machado Cleveland for Yandy Diaz and ZB/AJ to Dodgers for Alex Verdugo.  Root for the Dodgers 2B struggles to continue so Chris Taylor has to come in from CF to fix them, and create a mini-market for AJ.  Ditto Dodgers Jansen wobbles and good Britton.  The Indians Melky Cabrera signing hurts one of the few AJ fits that might actually work for a 2018 contender. 

Diaz/Verdugo join Mancini/Sisco as reasonable OBP threats.  Mullins catches flies, Schoop gets RBI's.  We see what Hays grows into in the corner opposite Verdugo and whether Trumbo or Davis can be a serviceable DH (I'm giving Mancini 1B).  SS is the X factor where the two plays are see if Beckham can thrive again back at his natural position or drop $400M on Manny.

If we don't drop $400M, but are on re-tool footing and keep payroll around $140M, there's good salary room for two mid-tier guys, to go along with the Bundy extension (to be announced within 72 hours of the Yankees Machado press conference).  We've clamored for that LHP, and all the top FA's are that - Kershaw, Pomeranz, Price if he opts-out, Gio Gonzalez, Patrick Corbin.  It's the Orioles, so write Pomeranz or Gio in now.  The relief ace market is also super deep - Kimbrel, Miller, Britton, Cody Allen, Sean Doolittle - one of those guys is going to get the Greg Holland experience, and the re-tooled 2019 Orioles may resemble the 2018 Cardinals as the last medium-good team in the marke for a Capital C closer.

Assuming Manny not a 2019 Oriole, this stab at respectability is:

3B Diaz, LF Verdugo, 1B Mancini, 2B Schoop, C Sisco, RF Hays, SS Beckham, DH Davis/Trumbo, CF Mullins

Pomeranz or some other lefty of his ilk joins the rotation, and Harvey, Scott and Givens hold down the middle.

Allen or Doolittle might be more realistic targets, but for grins if you build that club, perhaps reasonably good Britton wants to come back to it, or we really splurge and pay the Andrew Miller sticker price this time.  Perhaps Miller will show enough chinks in the armor (if he doesn't he'll likely be a Dodger, Yankee or Astro) and be ready to settle down and just get the saves later in his 30's.  We'll want to keep Hunter Harvey away from saves to keep his arb-salaries manageable.

It isn't that, but the Mariners had a good year when A-Rod left, and truth is - the Bundy window isn't to be wasted just like the Machado one.

Also by August 1, for this re-tool, you probably want all of Diaz/Verdugo/Hays/Mullins/Scott/Harvey taking their major league lumps so they can not have to do that in the beginning of 2019, when scrounging for all 86 of those wins will be urgent so Bundy, Miller and Harvey can stick it to some super rich 2nd place finisher in the wildcard game.

That's my strategy - wake me up in two years, give or take a few weeks, I guess.

1 minute ago, barellano said:

But isn't this basically the exact same team that is getting it's brains beat in right now, minus Manny Machado? Whoever we sign to replace Manny will almost certainly be a downgrade overall, so doesn't that make us even worse in 2019 with this group? 

Yes, but the argument could go that the starting pitching is there, we just need to add a couple of position player free agents in the offseason and hope that Hays and Mullins are ready to take over in the OF.  Santander should spend all of next season in the minors unless he totally rakes in AAA this year (he's inevitably being sent down in a few weeks).  

At this point, infield depth is far and away the biggest concern, especially since we're losing Manny.  If we signed TWO of these three guys -- Marwin Gonzalez, Elvis Andrus, or Josh Donaldson -- and made Beckham the utility IF where he seems to belong, that could be enough to put us right back in contention next season if a few other things break our way.  But I seriously doubt the FO does that so I'd advocate a rebuild instead.  

Archived