The O's Offense: The Dan Duquette Era

LookitsPuck

So, the Orioles offensive woes this year set me down a road to try and see if there is any rhyme/reason to the Orioles offense. Things I wanted to try and find: if there was any truth to the O's offense warming up as the year went on. Or if there was a trend of the O's falling apart as an offensive team.

y4mxkW0yjdYrbv82ws9ubaX9xMdXpbTMQ5zbqH5s

Things that stand out to me is how consistent the O's have been YoY in regards to R/G. They've largely been a 4.5 R/G team. Now, that says nothing about league changes by year...and there certainly are factors like that to keep in mind when comparing one year to the next.

But from a trend perspective? Traditionally April has been the O's 3rd best month. If we were to rank them, they've historically been like this:

1. June - 4.86
  2. August - 4.81
  3. April - 4.53
  4. May - 4.28
  5. September - 4.21
  6. July - 4.02

What stood out to me here wasn't really April...but July. It's easily the worst month for the O's. Aside from July 2017 when they averaged 5.08 R/G, they've typically been at 4 R/G or even closer to 3.5. Pretty crazy.

Also for trends, I don't know if there's anything out there supporting the notion that the O's bats heat up as the year goes on. We've seen that happen exactly *once*. And that was in 2017 when the O's scored: 4.39, 4.57, 4.43, 5.08 and then 6.03 R/G before completely falling off the map in September to the tune of 2.96 R/G.

If we take the average month by month breakdown and split the season in halves, it's actually more interesting.

April through June (4.56) the O's historically have scored more runs than July through September (4.35).

If we broke the season into 1/3s (April-May, June-July, August-September), there really isn't much difference either:

• April through May - 4.40 R/g
  • June through July -  4.44 R/G
  • August through September - 4.51 R/G 

So, yeah. I went into this thinking there'd be some sort of trends to pull from this. And I'm not seeing anything aside from July sticking out like a sore thumb (aside from last year).

Archived