2019-2020 Free Agency

backwardsk

Teheran to Angels on a 1-year deal, giving the pessimists in their fan base year old Matt Harvey and Trevor Cahill flashbacks.  By MLB's 2012 prospects list, that gives them quite an offseason.  Today sort of feels like the beginning of a few days of action for everyone looking to find a home for Christmas.

1. Matt Moore, LHP, TB
  2. Bryce Harper, OF, WAS
  3. Mike Trout, OF, LAA
  4. Julio Teheran, RHP, ATL
  5. Shelby Miller, RHP, STL
  6. Manny Machado, SS, BAL
  7. Jurickson Profar, SS, TEX
  8. Jameson Taillon, RHP, PIT
  9. Trevor Bauer, RHP, ARI
  10. Dylan Bundy, RHP, BAL
  11. Gerrit Cole, RHP, PIT

10 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Blue Jays get Ryu for 4/80.

Happy to see them hop in and buy now versus having them buy fresher talent in a year or two.

Now comes the moment in the offseason when someone like John Means bubbles towards the top of the list of options (at least compared to Mancini waiting on Castellanos/Ozuna, Givens waiting on Betances/Harris).  I guess whoever wants to pay most of David Price's contract can fill a spot that way, and I've already seen hints Tampa may try to arbitrage their Charlie Morton, but FA now down to the Rich Hill/Homer Bailey/Ivan Nova level.  I don't think we will move Means, but I do think he's at a Sell High point (will be happy to be proven wrong).

The 3B market feels constricted some pending the Bryant grievance outcome - Twins/Nationals reported Donaldson finalists, but they may also want clarity on Bryant situation before locking in.

10 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Happy to see them hop in and buy now versus having them buy fresher talent in a year or two.

Now comes the moment in the offseason when someone like John Means bubbles towards the top of the list of options (at least compared to Mancini waiting on Castellanos/Ozuna, Givens waiting on Betances/Harris).  I guess whoever wants to pay most of David Price's contract can fill a spot that way, and I've already seen hints Tampa may try to arbitrage their Charlie Morton, but FA now down to the Rich Hill/Homer Bailey/Ivan Nova level.  I don't think we will move Means, but I do think he's at a Sell High point (will be happy to be proven wrong).

The 3B market feels constricted some pending the Bryant grievance outcome - Twins/Nationals reported Donaldson finalists, but they may also want clarity on Bryant situation before locking in.

Clevenger may end up being a SP chip.  LAA seems to be in on him.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:33 PM, Win Column said:

A bad team spending $20M annually for 4 years on a 32-y.o. SP who can't stay healthy seems...not very smart.

I’d say the Blue Jays are banking on their young core of second generation major leaguers (Guerrero, Biggio, Bichette) gelling over the next few seasons, and want to have supporting pieces in place.    

• 2 weeks later...

Nationals picked Starlin Castro over band members Asdrubal Cabrera and Brian Dozier, leaving them to scrounge for spots.  Wilmer Flores is still my favorite of the 2B who may have to look at Baltimore eventually, and ruin the start of Alberto's and Bannon's year.

They also got Will Harris today, kind of sort of officially making Givens better than anyone left in FA.

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Along with Harris and Castro mentioned above, they also bring back Cabrera and Hudson.

And add Eric Thames.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at Ryan Zimmerman's house tonight.  I've seen a few Post stories rhapsodizing about how they're monogamous, understand a pay cut and reduced role is in the offing but have common ground there.  It is looking like a very reduced role - I half think a retirement announcement is coming, him being younger than Max Scherzer notwithstanding.

White Sox get Cishek as the FA RP market inches from around Givens's level towards notably worse.  Szymborski in his FG piece on Hudson to Nats today mentioned Aaron Loup as last RP Steamer sees below a 4.00 ERA, and he's a lefty who averages well under an inning per outing.  Steamer has Givens at 4.01.

Cishek curbs White Sox Givens need, but their bullpen still isn't what one would call loaded.

McHugh and Kintzler are the last two RP's Fangraphs deemed worthy of crowdsourcing.  I wonder if we will talk to McHugh - it could be a fit if McHugh is interested in taking another crack at 30 starts instead of focusing on the relief thing.