Unilateral NL DH by 2021?

weams

On 1/28/2020 at 2:37 PM, Number5 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them eliminate interleague play.  That would create a more balanced schedule.  The novelty has worn off, IMO, and there really is no reason to keep on playing interleague games.

My approach would be, if you absolutely have to have it, then limit interleague play to weekends during vacation season, basically when kids are out of school. Families could plan summer trips to see favorite teams and visit favorite or new cities. 

But I think it’s foolhardy that MLB markets the “benefit” of playing at least one interleague game on every day of the year. Not only do I think that fans are not motivated by every day interleague, but I think it damages the drama of pennant races.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:15 AM, Number5 said:

There was a time that it wasn't all that uncommon for kickers to also play another position.  The Colts' Lou Michaels was a defensive tackle.  Paul Hornung was the Packers' place kicker for a while, in addition to being their starting halfback.  George Blanda kicked and was the Raiders' backup quarterback.  Otto Graham punted in addition to being a HOF QB.  IIRC, Joe Don Looney was a backup RB and punted for the Colts for a season or two; and the Colts' Steve Myhra was a backup offensive lineman and linebacker in addition to his place-kicking duties - a three-way player.  I believe the roster limits were less back then ( 40 active players IIRC), so I'm sure that was a big reason that players needed to be able to do more than just kick in many cases.

Steve_Myhra.jpg

99797.jpg

Joe Theisman played backup punter and returned kicks/punts throughout his career.