Portis vs. Turner ...

Fairfax Bird

Turner will start, Portis will come in to run the spread option on a regular basis. Everyone will think he should be the starter because he will be very exciting. Most will not understand that he is very limited in his ability to make the proper reads in the passing game.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its official:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bal-terpsfoot818,0,3235831.story

terrible, terrible choice. Steffy has proven time and time again that he is not a starting qb.

I'll set the line at 3.5 games before he gets yanked. And I'll take the under.

That would be 3.5 games too long. I'm tired of him checking down to the closest receiver on every play. I'm tired of his slow decision making and forced throws. I know he's had injury problems, but I'm completely unimpressed with what I've seen from him. Hopefully Fridge sees something in him that we haven't seen yet.

Guest Sailor Jerry

For the love of God, didn't we see enough of Steffy last year? Honestly, Scott and Meggett better run right over people because I can't take too much of these five yard dink passes followed by a sack on third down.

Even in practices Steffy takes sacks, and with an O-line that isn't exactly overwhelming people, THAT'S NOT GOOD!!!! Cripes, 4-7 here we come.

For the love of God, didn't we see enough of Steffy last year? Honestly, Scott and Meggett better run right over people because I can't take too much of these five yard dink passes followed by a sack on third down.

Even in practices Steffy takes sacks, and with an O-line that isn't exactly overwhelming people, THAT'S NOT GOOD!!!! Cripes, 4-7 here we come.

My favorite part about Steffy is when he gets confused. He checks down really fast. Then, he stairs down a guy 6 yards a way...stands there for what seems like 7 minutes....and rifles it at the guy as hard as he can (if he hasn't already been sacked).

There's really only one logical reason I can see for this.

If I recall correctly, Franklin was the one who originally recruited Steffy, and partially because he fit that offensive scheme. Is that right?

Maybe since Franklin is back, Steffy is better for the offense, and is improved enough from last years' practices to suggest he is the better option overall?

That's about all I can see with this...

There's really only one logical reason I can see for this.

If I recall correctly, Franklin was the one who originally recruited Steffy, and partially because he fit that offensive scheme. Is that right?

Maybe since Franklin is back, Steffy is better for the offense, and is improved enough from last years' practices to suggest he is the better option overall?

That's about all I can see with this...

My friend had another interesting, albeit more unlikely, take. What if they know that Portis is their man next year? Say Turner is the starter and goes out and puts up an 8-win season. We'd all be ecstatic, but that makes it all the more difficult to stick Portis in there over him in 2009. At least with Steffy, he will be gone and the QB position can be a "battle" again.

its official:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bal-terpsfoot818,0,3235831.story

terrible, terrible choice. Steffy has proven time and time again that he is not a starting qb.

I'll set the line at 3.5 games before he gets yanked. And I'll take the under.

Here's a real head-scratching quote from Fridge on the matter.

"Chris played well in games," Friedgen said. "That's his M O. But we didn't win every game he played in. We need consistency. Based on not only fall practice, but I even went back to spring practices, and [steffy] was by far and away ahead in all the statistics."

First off, they didn't win every game Steffy played in either, but let's move on to the other part.

So Steffy puts up big stats in practice? So does that mean when we go to Clemson he will get to wear a yellow jersey and no one will hit him all game? And during these practices Ralph speaks of, what sort of defensive looks was Steffy getting? Was he going against the Terps backups and walk-ons most snaps?

I hope this was just a case of Friedgen talking without really thinking first....but I'm afraid it isn't. If he had just come out and said "I just feel in my gut that Steffy gives us a better chance to win" then I'd actually be OK with that. But to say he was the choice to start based on statistics in practice, and in the same paragraph say that Turner is better in games.....well, I just can't defend this line of reasoning, and I've always considered myself a Friedgen supporter.

My friend had another interesting, albeit more unlikely, take. What if they know that Portis is their man next year? Say Turner is the starter and goes out and puts up an 8-win season. We'd all be ecstatic, but that makes it all the more difficult to stick Portis in there over him in 2009. At least with Steffy, he will be gone and the QB position can be a "battle" again.

Then just start Portis this year.

Seriously, that is highly unlikely. If the competition was close enough that it was a three-man race, then I doubt anyone on the coaching staff is thinking one bit about next year. I think for some reason they are simply enamored by what Steffy has shown in practice.......nothing flashy, just a steady low-risk, low-reward approach that minimizes mistakes. Trouble is, when the lights go on, the yellow jersey comes off, and the defenders are allowed to hit you in the mouth, Steffy is even more afraid to take chances but also becomes more mistake prone because he limits his options.

There's a rumor that Turner is going to transfer to UCLA. Apparently his family wants him closer to home and there's a chance he'd start next year for Neuhisal. I don't have a link, my friend that subscribes to the Terrapin Times message board told me about it.

If he does transfer, Portis better take over by the second game. Steffy is terrible!

Archived