Kill 2 Birds with 1 Stone

Oriole1940

A partial solution to low offensive production would be make SP pitch 7 innings, not 5 innings to get the Win. I have always wondered why a SP should get the win and only pitch 55.5% of a nine inning game, anyway. Try working 55.5% on the job and see how long you last there. I believe if that were the rule, that some pitchers all of a sudden would pitch pretty decent baseball for 7 innings, at least sometimes.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Maslow/motivation.htm

1. The integrated wholeness of the organism must be one of the foundation stones of motivation theory.

2. The hunger drive (or any other physiological drive) was rejected as a centering point or model for a definitive theory of motivation. Any drive that is somatically based and localizable was shown to be atypical rather than typical in human motivation.

3. Such a theory should stress and center itself upon ultimate or basic goals rather than partial or superficial ones, upon ends rather than means to these ends. Such a stress would imply a more central place for unconscious than for conscious motivations.

4. There are usually available various cultural paths to the same goal. Therefore conscious, specific, local-cultural desires are not as fundamental in motivation theory as the more basic, unconscious goals.

5. Any motivated behavior, either preparatory or consummatory, must be understood to be a channel through which many basic needs may be simultaneously expressed or satisfied. Typically an act has more than one motivation.

6. Practically all organismic states are to be understood as motivated and as motivating.

7. Human needs arrange themselves in hierarchies of pre-potency. That is to say, the appearance of one need usually rests on the prior satisfaction of another, more pre-potent need. Man is a perpetually wanting animal. Also no need or drive can be treated as if it were isolated or discrete; every drive is related to the state of satisfaction or dissatisfaction of other drives.

8. Lists of drives will get us nowhere for various theoretical and practical reasons. Furthermore any classification of motivations [p. 371] must deal with the problem of levels of specificity or generalization the motives to be classified.

9. Classifications of motivations must be based upon goals rather than upon instigating drives or motivated behavior.

10. Motivation theory should be human-centered rather than animal-centered.

11. The situation or the field in which the organism reacts must be taken into account but the field alone can rarely serve as an exclusive explanation for behavior. Furthermore the field itself must be interpreted in terms of the organism. Field theory cannot be a substitute for motivation theory.

12. Not only the integration of the organism must be taken into account, but also the possibility of isolated, specific, partial or segmental reactions. It has since become necessary to add to these another affirmation.

13. Motivation theory is not synonymous with behavior theory. The motivations are only one class of determinants of behavior. While behavior is almost always motivated, it is also almost always biologically, culturally and situationally determined as well.

Who should get the win then? A pitcher goes 5 innings, leaves with a lead that holds up, and you want one of the relief pitchers that pitched less to get the win? That's why they came up with holds and saves. Common sense says that the pitcher that pitches the most innings should get the win providing the lead they left with holds up.

I don't get how this "kills two birds with one stone". So it would help out offense because pitchers would overexert themselves to get the win. What else would it help? That's only one "bird".

Pitchers would have more arm trouble and then more folks would get to play in the MLB?

A partial solution to low offensive production would be make SP pitch 7 innings, not 5 innings to get the Win. I have always wondered why a SP should get the win and only pitch 55.5% of a nine inning game, anyway. Try working 55.5% on the job and see how long you last there. I believe if that were the rule, that some pitchers all of a sudden would pitch pretty decent baseball for 7 innings, at least sometimes.

And if you made the bases only 89 feet apart, it would eliminate all the close plays at first! :D

mal-speechless.gif

Archived