HHP: MASN/Nats/Orioles case (Inside the Courtroom)

Frobby

Considering that the next reset period is less than two years away...
I guess they will just have to settle with Peter Angelos on something and take care of their backroom promises to the Lerners in a different manner.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C_o_c found us this

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/19/loverro-nationals-tv-windfall-rare-masn-orioles/#.Va1nO_fhRnw.twitter

LOVERRO: Nationals’ likely television windfall may end up being one of a kind.

To date, the cable television network game has been hostage situation of sorts — customers forced to pay for networks on their package they never view, from MASN to DIY Network.

But the landscape is changing, thanks to a generation of viewers who are “cutting the cord” from cable, using other services like Netflix and Hulu instead of cable. Streaming television is growing as well, as HBO, Showtime and ESPN are now offering streaming services that allow you to watch the networks you pay for as part of your cable television bill.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/19/loverro-nationals-tv-windfall-rare-masn-orioles/#ixzz3gTCoJzmn

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

You left out the fun language choices.

Their MASN partner — that’s rich.

The Nationals are in a feud with their so-called “partners” over the pile of cash the regional network has generated since it was created in 2005 as part of the agreement with Orioles owner Peter Angelos to move the Montreal Expos to Washington.

And, according to those close to the negotiations, it was also made under the presumption that one way or another, come 2012, baseball and the Nationals wouldn’t be dealing with the contentious Angelos.

Seems to me that the inevitable result of people cutting the cord and debundling the channels they receive, is that the price of the individual channels they receive will go up. In other words, MASN only adds about $2 to your cable bill now, but if the service changes so that only those who want it will have to purchase it, it's going to cost a lot more than $2 per household to buy.

So, let me pose the question, how much would you be willing to pay per month to see the Orioles on TV? If I could cut the cord and not pay for all the cable channels I don't want, I'm sure I'd be willing to pay $25/month for the Orioles during the baseball season. That's basically $1 per game. Well worth it to this diehard fan.

Seems to me that the inevitable result of people cutting the cord and debundling the channels they receive, is that the price of the individual channels they receive will go up. In other words, MASN only adds about $2 to your cable bill now, but if the service changes so that only those who want it will have to purchase it, it's going to cost a lot more than $2 per household to buy.

So, let me pose the question, how much would you be willing to pay per month to see the Orioles on TV? If I could cut the cord and not pay for all the cable channels I don't want, I'm sure I'd be willing to pay $25/month for the Orioles during the baseball season. That's basically $1 per game. Well worth it to this diehard fan.

For me, if it was available at that price I would still go with the MLB package.

For me, if it was available at that price I would still go with the MLB package.

The MLB package doesn't cover games in your local area, right? Not an issue for you in Florida, but an issue for me in Bethesda, Md. What does the MLB package cost these days, anyway?

And yes, I'd turn off MASN in the offseason. I don't like "Wall to Wall Baseball" that much.

I would think you would pay $50 if they had the pre and post game. Right?

The MLB package doesn't cover games in your local area, right? Not an issue for you in Florida, but an issue for me in Bethesda, Md. What does the MLB package cost these days, anyway?

And yes, I'd turn off MASN in the offseason. I don't like "Wall to Wall Baseball" that much.

Right, I would have an option you wouldn't. I will gladly listen to the Rays' broadcast so I could have all the rest of MLB.

$120 or so for the season maybe? I forget.

Right, I would have an option you wouldn't. I will gladly listen to the Rays' broadcast so I could have all the rest of MLB.

$120 or so for the season maybe? I forget.

I think the price of viewing your local team might be higher than the price of viewing the other 29 teams, because that's where demand will take things. I'd certainly pay more to watch the Orioles than I'd pay to watch all the other 29 teams combined, and I'd bet that's true of most fans who live in the TV broadcast area of the team they follow.

I think the price of viewing your local team might be higher than the price of viewing the other 29 teams, because that's where demand will take things. I'd certainly pay more to watch the Orioles than I'd pay to watch all the other 29 teams combined, and I'd bet that's true of most fans who live in the TV broadcast area of the team they follow.

I'd have to think about that. O's or the other 29 teams.

Gameday + Game thread is almost as good as watching the game.

I look at it this way, I pay $150 a month for cable. I only have cable so I can watch baseball/ occasional football. So for $25 a month for roughly six months would only be 1 mon th of cable that I would drop, saving me roughly $1650. I'd do that in a heartbeat, especially if it could be opted to pay just 1 team.

MLB and their blackout rule really stinks and is probably hurting them a bit at this point in time, and will def. hurt them in the long run.

He's much bigger then me you can tell by the way she walks.

Gambling only pays when your winning. Got to keep those moving blades sharp.

Isn't it time the Nats where on their own

Over the garden fence another Harper homer.

I know what Peter Angelos wanrs.

Not sure if it is getting better all the time.

I would think you would pay $50 if they had the pre and post game. Right?

What would you pay if MASN added the Roy Firestone show?

Archived