Camden Depot: What to Know about Vance Worley

weams

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2015/10/vance-worley-orioles-waivers-dra.html

He didn't see much interest from other teams.

Players on waivers generally don't have the highest stock. After posting a 4.02 ERA across 71.2 innings in 2015, Worley fits that bill. Still, he pitched his way to a 2.85 ERA the year before, so he certainly has prospered in the past. It unnerves me, then, that so many competitors didn't want to bring him in.

When a team places a player on waivers, any other club can claim him. The priority goes in an inverse relationship to record, and the waiving team's league goes first. In other words, before the Orioles could touch Worley, 21 other teams ? everyone in the National League, plus the six teams trailing Baltimore in the American League ? had an opportunity to grab him. None of them did so; maybe that means they have other places to spend $2.7 million (his projected salary in arbitration), or maybe the Orioles have overlooked something.

Best I can tell....

10 starts with the Twins in 2013 at a 7.21 ERA

5 IL startes with an ERA of 4.53 (although some of that was against NL while with MN)

I think we know that 2013 was a very bad year for Worley no matter the league.

I thought that in the off-season waiver priority was reverse order of record, with all teams lumped together, so it wouldn't have to pass thru all of the National League teams first. Or is this still considered in-season, since the playoffs are not yet concluded?.

I think so.

Archived