Get to know Yovani Gallardo

weams

o

Gallardo threw 1st-strike pitches to 16 out of the 23 batters that he faced.

After that (the first pitch of each plate appearance), he fell behind the count often.

As bad as his strikes-to-balls ratio was in his last game (54 Strikes to 41 Balls), it was worse today (49 Strikes to 46 Balls.)

15 OUTS: 5 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Popout, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout, 1 Caught Stealing, 1 Out Trying to Stretch a Single into a Double

YOVANI GALLARDO O (vs. ANGELS, 7/09)

IP:l 5 - PLUS

H:;; 6 ll(6 Singles)

R:l) 2

BB:)4

SO:)2

Pitches: 95 (49 Strikes, 46 Balls)

2016 ERA: 5.82

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (61 Strikes, 71 Balls)

21 (91 Strikes, 12 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 41 Balls)

22 (12 Strikes, 10 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

17 (81 Strikes, 91 Balls) *

* Gallardo did not record any outs before departing in the 6th inning.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought he was extremely fortunate. A LOT of hanging curves right down the pipe that guys just missed. I counted at least 4. Tons of deep counts. Too many walks.

And honestly? Going only 5 IP is just poor. 10 baserunners in 5 IP is a 2 WHIP which is pretty much what he was prior to his injury. This is been his MO his short tenure with the O's and I'm not encouraged that it's ever going to get better. His velocity was down again.

Others were several times early in the game where Caleb set his target off the plate, Gallardo hit the target, and the ump correctly called it a ball. Caleb even did it on some 3-ball counts and when Gallardo was behind in the count. I thought it was kind of bizarre.

He wasn't perfect, but I thought he consistently hit the corners tonight for the most part. The ump was just denying him pitches he was giving the Angels pitcher. Buck shouldn't have trotted him out there in the 6th; you could tell he was getting gassed.

A game like today is all the O's could have expected after how he pitched during the second half last season. If Givens can learn to pitch to lefty hitters and O'Day returns before the end of July or someone ably takes over O'Day's role (rescuing Brach's and Givens' arms), it's enough for our #4 pitcher. Still looking for #2 or #3.

It's Tampa. Worst offense in the AL. He saw them at OPACY on June 24 and allowed 3 R in 5.1 IP. I'd be disappointed with that at the Trop.

Context adjusted (wRC+) I have the Rays equal to the Twins, and better than the Rangers, Royals, White Sox, Yankees, and Athletics.

It's Tampa. Worst offense in the AL. He saw them at OPACY on June 24 and allowed 3 R in 5.1 IP. I'd be disappointed with that at the Trop.

Little optimism from me.

4.97 ERA .281/.384/.479 - .863 OPS, 1.698 WHIP, 5 homers since coming off the DL. A ton of walks. Velocity is up and down.

Context adjusted (wRC+) I have the Rays equal to the Twins, and better than the Rangers, Royals, White Sox, Yankees, and Athletics.

Not really interested in adjusting for context for this purpose. We're playing this game in Tropicana Field. Tampa's the lowest-scoring team in the league, they are scoring more runs on the road than at home, and they have scored 23 runs in their last 10 games. That's about as easy an assignment as a pitcher can get. Not to say that there's no chance that Tampa will have a good offensive game, just that there are a lot of factors that favor Gallardo getting decent results tonight.

Archived