Gallardo - Roch: deal is DONE (signed)

weams

I leave it to the team doctors to decide what is "normal" wear and tear and what creates a serious risk of the player missing time or losing effectiveness. The fact that Gallardo has never had an arm injury means almost nothing to me. Back when we were considering Bronson Arroyo, he had pitched 199+ innings nine years in a row. His reliability was his big selling point. Then he threw 86 innings for $23.5 mm and needed TJ surgery.

I didn't say it wasn't an issue. I'm talking about jumping to conclusions. Something showing up on a scan doesn't prove anything. I had something show up once concerning my heart. Showed a blockage. Turned out being a shadow.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think the O's were too concerned over what position they lose the pick over. They wanted both players. If the 14 was lost on Gallardo and the 29 lost on Fowler they were fine. If they lose the 14 on Fowler and fail Gallardo and keep the 29, I think they are fine with that too. One question, can the #29 pick be traded?

You are entitled to your opinion, but reading what SirLoin has said, and he appears to have been correct so far, that was their believe, they were okay to give up a 2nd pick for the COF spot, if they gave up the pick for pitcher.

I have no clue about trading the pick, probably not, would be my guess.

You are entitled to your opinion, but reading what SirLoin has said, and he appears to have been correct so far, that was their believe, they were okay to give up a 2nd pick for the COF spot, if they gave up the pick for pitcher.

I believe you can only trade competitive balance picks in baseball.

Lee is retiring, according to Rosenthal.

I'm hitching my wagon to Sir_Loin at this point. He says the media is making too much of the additional tests on Gallardo and the deal will go through. He's been ahead of the media on several points now (including the terms for both Gallardo and Fowler) so I'm going down with his ship!

If Sir Loin is right about this than there is no doubt he is a bonafide insider.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As the orioles go over gallardo's medicals and shoulder consider he's never been on DL once for arm (not shoulder or elbow)</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="

">February 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Then it's weird they immediately signed Fowler after the Gallardo physical issue. If true, then maybe the national guys are looking to spin things for a story. Considering it's mostly Rosenthal and Olney talking about it, that wouldn't surprise me. Hope it works out.

I really have sympathy for both sides in situations such as these. The time and emotions for all involved has to be frustrating. As tech gets better it will happen on a more regular basis. There is always an inherit risk in signing a player to a contract, especially pitchers. Players' want buy outs, owners get stuck with useless contracts if things go south. I almost wish there was an in between, if things goes bad for a pitcher, let's say on a 3/36 contract, and the player gets injured after 2 years, the owner would be obligated for only 50% of the last year. I know this is outlandish, but an injured player receiving $6 million dollars does not make him homeless or poor.

I leave it to the team doctors to decide what is "normal" wear and tear and what creates a serious risk of the player missing time or losing effectiveness. The fact that Gallardo has never had an arm injury means almost nothing to me. Back when we were considering Bronson Arroyo, he had pitched 199+ innings nine years in a row. His reliability was his big selling point. Then he threw 86 innings for $23.5 mm and needed TJ surgery.

Nolan Ryan once got a diagnosis of what was probably a partially torn UCL. Doc said it could go at any moment. I think that was around 40, and he pitched to, what, 47? But it did eventually fail, that's what ended his career. I think the doc failed to mention that Ryan's healthy UCL was about a big around as my arm.

I could see this. His agent saying he doesn't think he wants to pitch in 2016 reads to me like "Nobody has guaranteed me enough cash to get off my butt yet".

Well if you have received 143 million in salary during your career and someone is offering you a couple million dollars a year you might retire as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Gallardo matter with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> unlikely to be resolved quickly. Team expected to push for restructuring of 3-year, $35M agreement.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">February 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived