Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

It would not be OK for this team to have blackholes in both corners in 2016. Given the pitching staff, they're going to be somewhat reliant on outhitting a lot of clubs. And forfeiting two outfield spots is not how you do that. They have to make a move.

We were #9 last year in runs scored with three black holes at RF, LF, and DH. Trumbo fills DH with an above average hitter. If Kim/Reimold/Rickard can find a way to put up a .330 OBP I think we will have a very good offense, better than what we had last year, which was already above average.

The real question is pitching, even with Gallardo.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year they did not want a black hole in the corners so they went and got a "proven" player in Snyder to go with a "proven" player in de Aza. Is that what we want to do again? I'd much rather find out if Nolan, Kim, Rickard, etc., are capable of doing the job then go with anybody who is still out there--or trade from our few prospects. Fowler was the last man who looked like a sure upgrade.

So maybe the light came on last year? Fowlers BABIP 2013 .323, 2014 .353, 2015 .308. So his last 2 full years in the minors were .571, and .442.

The .571 came in 13 AA PAs in 2009. The .442 came in 124 PAs the next year at 6000-ft Colorado Springs. I'm reasonably sure that no professional player has ever gotten within 100 points of a .571 in a full season. Okay, maybe in some wacky Class D league that scored 11 runs a game. But not in any reasonable context.

We were #9 last year in runs scored with three black holes at RF, LF, and DH. Trumbo fills DH with an above average hitter. If Kim/Reimold/Rickard can find a way to put up a .330 OBP I think we will have a very good offense, better than what we had last year, which was already above average.

While I agree with some of this take, I never like it when people say "we were #9 in runs scored" as though that's a big accomplishment. AL teams score more than NL teams, so the real issue is where we stood in the AL, not in MLB. In the AL, we were 7th of 15 teams, and scored 3 runs over the league average. That's about as average as it gets, and when you consider that we play in an offense-friendly ballpark, you could argue that our offense was actually below average (hence, our OPS+ was 96).

That said, I do think our offense is a bit improved from last year, and I agree that pitching will decide whether we contend or not.

Why do you automatically assume Kim is a blackhole?

DD is all-in this year, if he can find something, that is an improvement and fits within the $$$$$, I suspect he will pull the trigger, or ink the man to the dotted line.

I think without any further additions, that this club is on paper, stronger than last year.

Except the pitching is the same perhaps a slight tick in the wrong direction Gallardo/Chen.

The .571 came in 13 AA PAs in 2009. The .442 came in 124 PAs the next year at 6000-ft Colorado Springs. I'm reasonably sure that no professional player has ever gotten within 100 points of a .571 in a full season. Okay, maybe in some wacky Class D league that scored 11 runs a game. But not in any reasonable context.

Yeah sorry....he did .405 in 506 ABs at double A

I would actually like to see him get a shot. And not the kind of shots we've been giving where the leash is short. Everything he does well is exactly what we need. Rather than assume he can't do it in the bigs, let's see if there's anything there over a good sample size.

I'd prefer looking at Rickard over chasing Bruce, Jackson or Alvarez, just to be getting somebody.

Frobby nailed the bit about runs scored, but there's something else I wanted to address here.

You've thrown around the .330 OBP bit a couple of times in this thread. Do you realize how many of our regulars posted a .330 OBP last year? Two. Their names were Chris Davis and Manny Machado.

It is not an easy task, and asking a rotating group of total unprovens (or washed up guys like Reimold) to do it isn't fair.

Further, while I think most would agree that a lot will fall on the pitching staff... At this point, what we have there is what we have. We can still work on the offense a little, so let's do it.

Last year they did not want a black hole in the corners so they went and got a "proven" player in Snyder to go with a "proven" player in de Aza. Is that what we want to do again? I'd much rather find out if Nolan, Kim, Rickard, etc., are capable of doing the job then go with anybody who is still out there--or trade from our few prospects. Fowler was the last man who looked like a sure upgrade.

De Aza did indeed kind of flop a bit, but calling Travis Snider "proven" isn't fair at all. The guy, to this day, has never had a full time starting job in his career. Ever.

I also believe anything could happen. Os always find a Steve Pearce type player for a season or so. Buck already has high praise for this kid.

With the amount of money the Orioles have already invested, it'd be rather foolish to embrace an "Anything could happen!" approach to talent management.

Archived