Maddux Goes for 350th Win of Career

erb8472

Greg Maddux is going for the 350th win of his career tomorrow at PETCO Park against the San Francisco Giants.

I figured this would be a good time for me to go see my first Padres game while I'm in San Diego. Hopefully I'll be seeing history. I'm not sure how many more guys are going to win 350 games in their career.

I know he said he was quitting after this year... but I wish he wouldn't.

If he could do OK this year and next, he could end up #3 all-time... behind only Cy Young, Walter Johnson, and nobody else.

1. Cy Young+ 	        511	R2. Walter Johnson+ 	417	R3. Pete Alexander+ 	373	R  Christy Mathewson+ 	373	R5. Pud Galvin+ 	        364	R6. Warren Spahn+* 	363	L7. Kid Nichols+ 	361	R8. Roger Clemens (45)	354	R9. Greg Maddux (42)	349	R

If I had to win one game and I could take any pitcher(that I've been alive to see pitch) on his best day, it would be Maddox everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Me too... if those days of the week and twice on Sunday were a few years ago ;-)

If I had to win one game and I could take any pitcher(that I've been alive to see pitch) on his best day, it would be Maddox everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I just might agree with you. Or maybe it would be Koufax, or Carlton, or Seaver. I'd probably end up picking Bob Gibson on general principles, but you never know.

Some of us have been alive longer than others, of course, but what a great topic this would be for a thread.

• 3 weeks later...
7 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 5 K, 0 BB... leaves with a 1-0 lead... then Trevor Hoffman gave up a solo dinger in the 9th to blow the lead, so no decision for Maddux... in extra innings... 13 so far...

I went to that game, and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I should have seen Maddux's 350th career win, but Hoffman decided to blow it.

Maddux is going for 350 again tonight against the Rockies. I'll probably make my way over to the park hoping to see history, but I don't have my hopes up for a win tonight. The Rockies have been playing pretty good latley, and the Padres couldn't score a run if they started every inning with a runner on second.

Well like I said, if I could pick any pitcher on his very best day.

Sorry, I could have a done a better job of wording that post.

Uhh... I'd pick Palmer. Or maybe Pedro. Or Bob Gibson. Sorry.

D says Nolan Ryan...

Congratulations to Greg Maddux on winning the 350th game of his career. I'm glad to say that I was in attendance for tonight's historical win.

I doubt if anyone else ever wins 350 games in their career.

Archived