Human Reaction Times and Foul Balls

weams

http://foulballz.com/foul-balls/human-reaction-times-and-foul-balls-revisited/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ICYMI: Human Reaction Times and Foul Balls Revisited <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsBlogRT">@SportsBlogRT</a> RT <a href="https://t.co/gcO0eAjr1R">https://t.co/gcO0eAjr1R</a></p>— Baseball Bloggers A. (@baseballblogs) <a href="

">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 1 year later...

The forum update mangled the original post, but I needed a place to talk about KGs foul ball issues. I believe it's all about his breaking ball. He has none. Last night his pitch count rose rapidly without walks, vs an awful lineup, bc he has 2 pitches. He can't become an ace without ankther complete overhaul of his breaking ball. He & Tillman have the two worst sliders I've ever seen. They move the same, they move too much, they're too obvious & too fat when left over the plate. It doesn't seem like getting him a nice hard slider or an over the top curve would be an issue. He needs one. 

15 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

The forum update mangled the original post, but I needed a place to talk about KGs foul ball issues. I believe it's all about his breaking ball. He has none. Last night his pitch count rose rapidly without walks, vs an awful lineup, bc he has 2 pitches. He can't become an ace without ankther complete overhaul of his breaking ball. He & Tillman have the two worst sliders I've ever seen. They move the same, they move too much, they're too obvious & too fat when left over the plate. It doesn't seem like getting him a nice hard slider or an over the top curve would be an issue. He needs one. 

Tillman, in his good years, had much better breaking stuff than Gausman.     I really thought Gaus' breaking stuff came along nicely in the second half of last year and even looked good the first 2-3 games this year.    Since then, he's backtracked.     I think that's going to stop him from ever being an ace, but if he can produce a few more years like 2014 and 2016, I can live with it.     

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tillman, in his good years, had much better breaking stuff than Gausman.     I really thought Gaus' breaking stuff came along nicely in the second half of last year and even looked good the first 2-3 games this year.    Since then, he's backtracked.     I think that's going to stop him from ever being an ace, but if he can produce a few more years like 2014 and 2016, I can live with it.     

Yeah Tillmans curve has been filthy but I don't think he's used this sweeping slider a great deal, I think he had a cutter some called a slider last year, but no matter, he's always had a reliable breaking ball. This year he and Gausman have a slow slider that no one offers at out of the strike zone & is very rarely missed inside of it. It's not a pitch I see from anyone else. I wonder if rushing KG a bit has cost him the ability to really work on a useful breaking ball. He just needs something decent he can throw for a strike, Jimmy Nelson has one slider that doesn't do much but it helps his fb play up & he can get cheap strikes with it that KG can't get. It's incredibly tough to pitch when only your fb can get him a called strike. He's got the arm, there's got to be a breaking ball in there somewhere. The fouled off 97mph FBs really make him work. We may need our 24 year old to teach everyone else how to throw his secret cutter. 

6 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Yeah Tillmans curve has been filthy but I don't think he's used this sweeping slider a great deal, I think he had a cutter some called a slider last year, but no matter, he's always had a reliable breaking ball. This year he and Gausman have a slow slider that no one offers at out of the strike zone & is very rarely missed inside of it. It's not a pitch I see from anyone else. I wonder if rushing KG a bit has cost him the ability to really work on a useful breaking ball. He just needs something decent he can throw for a strike, Jimmy Nelson has one slider that doesn't do much but it helps his fb play up & he can get cheap strikes with it that KG can't get. It's incredibly tough to pitch when only your fb can get him a called strike. He's got the arm, there's got to be a breaking ball in there somewhere. The fouled off 97mph FBs really make him work. We may need our 24 year old to teach everyone else how to throw his secret cutter. 

Maybe he should throw a cutter.

Archived