Manfred: If MiLB Players Get Raise, Teams will Be Folded

weams

I guess the Orioles could get rid of Rookie league and Triple A and would be fine. If the teams have more levels than they need than shut them down. More players would elect to play college ball. Losing a few minor league teams isn't the end of the world.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are thousands of unpaid college kids today (not athletes) running up debts up to six figures in hopes of a career that will pay them about 4-5 million in their lifetime (or more if they add med school); these players are putting up with up to six years of poor pay in order to try for millions per year. Yes, many won't make it, but the odds are better than the lottery and moderate success will put them above their non-athlete peers. How much would a Flaherty or Reimold be making without baseball?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

There are thousands of unpaid college kids today (not athletes) running up debts up to six figures in hopes of a career that will pay them about 4-5 million in their lifetime (or more if they add med school); these players are putting up with up to six years of poor pay in order to try for millions per year. Yes, many won't make it, but the odds are better than the lottery and moderate success will put them above their non-athlete peers. How much would a Flaherty or Reimold be making without baseball?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Right. The minor leagues is a lot like an internship at a major business. People are willing to work there for the chance that they catch someone's eye (scout) and get offered a position making good money. The baseball system is very similar. You work a low paying job in the hopes of making the majors. When you realize you aren't good enough, you then go off and do something else. Free market is a beautiful thing. Again, no one forces anyone into the life of the minor leagues. If it's not for you, then go do something else. If drafted, baseball doesn't owe them anything but a chance. They have every right to take that chance knowing the sacrifices that they must make in the chance they can make it and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

I don't know that I'd characterize it quite that way. What is the percentage of Frederick Keys or Aberdeen Ironbirds who have more than a cup-of-coffee MLB career? One in 30? 50? What's the median (not average) career baseball earnings of everyone who appears in the majors? Probably less than $1M. For all minor leaguers it's probably less than $100k for their whole careers.

I pay a decent starting engineer $50k or more, with regular raises that get them in the neighborhood of $80-100k a year by 30. Obviously most minor leaguers won't have Electronics Engineer as their fallback career.

The baseball players' main advantage is in stories and attracting women more than salary.

I guess the Orioles could get rid of Rookie league and Triple A and would be fine. If the teams have more levels than they need than shut them down. More players would elect to play college ball. Losing a few minor league teams isn't the end of the world.

"more players would elect to play college ball"

No they wouldn't. College baseball isn't like college football or basketball.

Schools are only allowed to give out 12.9 baseball scholarships per year. There are about 30 players on a team.

No one in college baseball gets a full scholarship. (Players get partial scholarhips) Players get books and food services. Thats it.

Most players (the majority in fact) are not from weathly families and can't afford college

I know this - I lived and been a part of it.

This.

I have no idea what the minimum wage should be. But to NOT have one is ridiculous

But why shouldn't two competent adults be able to make an agreement that both want to make?

And having no idea what the minimum should be is part of the problem. Personally I think if it's not 6 figures annually, it's not a livable wage. So should that be the minimum?

I don't know that I'd characterize it quite that way. What is the percentage of Frederick Keys or Aberdeen Ironbirds who have more than a cup-of-coffee MLB career? One in 30? 50? What's the median (not average) career baseball earnings of everyone who appears in the majors? Probably less than $1M. For all minor leaguers it's probably less than $100k for their whole careers.

I pay a decent starting engineer $50k or more, with regular raises that get them in the neighborhood of $80-100k a year by 30. Obviously most minor leaguers won't have Electronics Engineer as their fallback career.

The baseball players' main advantage is in stories and attracting women more than salary.

Nobody pays to watch and cheer for your engineer. Although you wouldn't believe it by some of these comments, there is a major draw to the minor league lifestyle, especially for young single men.

Nobody pays to watch and cheer for your engineer. Although you wouldn't believe it by some of these comments, there is a major draw to the minor league lifestyle, especially for young single men.

I've heard them all enjoy it. Now the girlfriends and wives? They have support groups.

Ultimately, companies will find a way around high labor costs, should it really be too onerous. Raise the minimum to high and fast food restaurants just eliminate cashiers, just have ordering stations. How many toll takers and grocery store cashiers do you see today?

Impose a minimum in the minors, the owners will just cut a few affiliates, or just sign agreements with teams out of the country to become the feeder system. Maybe move minor league operations to Mexico and pay a lower labor cost.

But why shouldn't two competent adults be able to make an agreement that both want to make?

And having no idea what the minimum should be is part of the problem. Personally I think if it's not 6 figures annually, it's not a livable wage. So should that be the minimum?

Im not going to get into an argument. And I wont discuss "politics? on this site any further

6 Figures?????????? I think 6 figures is over 100K per year. (but Im not the brightest guy)

Get a poll of the OH members on this site. I can't imagine that the majority makes 6 figures per year. I know I don't

I'm not arguing with the reasons people go play ball for $1000/month, just the post I was quoting that said a lot of players end up ahead of their non-athlete peers. I think 80+% of the guys on the Keys will earn less in baseball than whatever their buddies in HS did for a living during those years. But that's what they want to do. It's fine, up to the point where they're bumming rooms for a place to sleep and having trouble affording healthy food.

Im not going to get into an argument. And I wont discuss "politics? on this site any further

6 Figures?????????? I think 6 figures is over 100K per year. (but Im not the brightest guy)

Get a poll of the OH members on this site. I can't imagine that the majority makes 6 figures per year. I know I don't

Don't mean to get too political....and I will stop aftetr this post.....but that is my point, everyone's livable wage is different. One person may be happy with $8 per hour someone else at $15, another at $50. Hard to set a livable minimum when there is no agreement on what is livable.

Would be an interesting poll. Need a big number for Roy.

Archived